GTAIV: PS3 version runs at 630p while 360 version at 720p

Much better.

I'm not seeing it widespread for both.

Me not having a PS3 doesn't have anything to do with this argument.

-Spenser

You not having a PS3 certainly explains the manner in which you post.

Me not having a PS3 doesn't have anything to do with this argument.

-Spenser

Not having a pop at you, but have you played a ps3 for a decent amount of time? I was not really looking forward to the PS3, but DrCheese let me try it out for an hour or so, I loved it and bought one a few weeks later.

I find most anti console sentiments come from someone who's never picked up a controller.

But he is right. The issue is far more widespread on the PS3 than it is on the 360. That is a fact and I'm not sure what you're on him about.

The problems people are having with the 360 are the same people who have had problems with games in the past. It'll most likely be older harder (of course this won't be 100% strictly true, for all we know the game is the cause of problems). As for now though, the PS3 60GB problem is the most wide spread and first of it's kind afaik.

Not really. I'd be saying the same if I did have a PS3, and I'd have GTA4 on the 360. I'd be saying it all the same because I haven't said anything untrue.

I've played PS3. It's a lot of fun. I just hate people that come around with loaded statements. I guess this anwers Coldgunner's Q also.

-Spenser

The reliability issues are on both platforms, if you're going bonkers on micro managing which console has slightly worse internet reports, god help you, you're clutching at straws.

It's not a case of which platform has more reports, it's more a case of let's look at R* and complain about why another rough title has come out from them. Bully being the previous game to lockup a fair few systems, and that was fixed by a patch for the game, not a patch for the 360 OS.

They are the developers, this is their game, they are the first point of call for pointing the finger at software instability. If it's later revealed it's totally down to the platform, then we forgive R*, but right now, all fingers point to the game, as both consoles are experiencing lockups and freezing.

Edited by Audioboxer

The problems people are having with the 360 are the same people who have had problems with games in the past. It'll most likely be older harder (of course this won't be 100% strictly true, for all we know the game is the cause of problems). As for now though, the PS3 60GB problem is the most wide spread and first of it's kind afaik.

The 60GB is also "older hardware" for Sony as such.

It's 95nm isn't it? And the others are 65nm.

However it's nullified a bit by the fact any PS3 can lockup with this, mine did and it's a 40GB. It could easily just be down to the fact the 60GB is no doubt the highest populated model in the PS3 install base, as to why there was more reports of it locking up from release day.

I can somewhat forgive R* for missing this one bug, as I'm a software tester and know you can't cover everything. its good to know they've acknowledged the issue and are working on it. although my opinion may differ if I had a 60GB NTSC

I can somewhat forgive R* for missing this one bug, as I'm a software tester and know you can't cover everything. its good to know they've acknowledged the issue and are working on it. although my opinion may differ if I had a 60GB NTSC

Or a 360 as R* haven't a clue whats causing the fault apparently.

The 60GB is also "older hardware" for Sony as such.

It's 95nm isn't it? And the others are 65nm.

However it's nullified a bit by the fact any PS3 can lockup with this, mine did and it's a 40GB. It could easily just be down to the fact the 60GB is no doubt the highest populated model in the PS3 install base, as to why there was more reports of it locking up from release day.

When I said older hardware, I was referring to pre-falcon chipsets.

And like I said, the 60GB is the most reported problem, but it's not 100% strictly the only one with problems :)

You're lockup AB I'm thinking was just a one off. The 60GB's all have the same issue of crashing during the intro video.

@Coldgunner, I have the same thoughts, but the problem occurs not even a minute into gameplay. How the hell can they miss that? :no: It would be a different story if the glitch occured a few hours into the game..

Or a 360 as R* haven't a clue whats causing the fault apparently.

when finding an issue so much has to go into consideration:

Is another process causing it?

Will creating a fix impact anything else?

Will the fix create issues for those that it worked for initially?

just finding and creating the fix is one thing, a huge amount of time has to go into the testing to make sure nothing else is gonna crop up.

And like I said, the 60GB is the most reported problem, but it's not 100% strictly the only one with problems :)

You're lockup AB I'm thinking was just a one off. The 60GB's all have the same issue of crashing during the intro video.

@Coldgunner, I have the same thoughts, but the problem occurs not even a minute into gameplay. How the hell can they miss that? :no: It would be a different story if the glitch occured a few hours into the game..

The fault doesn't affect all games though, mine hasn't crashed once, I'm not alone in saying that. When the fault is like this, its easily missed.

I wouldn't be suprised if the game was largely tested on dev kits, with slightly different hardware.

Well Rockstar is based here in Scotland so they're no doubt using 40GB machines :laugh:

In all seriouness though, it is a a string of unsettling issues to miss, and it raises lots of questions...

How long did testing last?

Was it thorough enough testing?

Did R* even know about issues but had to get the game to market for this date regardless?

I mean the last thought is a huge huge assumption, but something like that could easily arise from pressure to get the game out and fix it later.... Now that developers have the luxury of being able to patch console games at a later date :/

I mean just look at the amount of games getting patched on CONSOLES this generation, that would never have been acceptable last generation, as they couldn't do it. Now they can, it can be the difference in saving/making yourself more money by getting the game out, and sorting out any issues later...

Look at the train wrecks AC and Orange Box were on the PS3 - You are NOT going to tell me testers who get paid money and have qualifications, can miss issues like that that everyday gamers pickup on.

I wouldn't be suprised if the game was largely tested on dev kits, with slightly different hardware.

If that is true, that is unbelievably sloppy on Rockstar's part.

I'm sick of companies releasing buggy software just to make a damn ship date. Fix the **** then release it.

If that is true, that is unbelievably sloppy on Rockstar's part.

I'm sick of companies releasing buggy software just to make a damn ship date. Fix the **** then release it.

Its how they all do it.

Its how they all do it.

Not really, as I said prior console generations could not pull of some of the things developers have done this generation due to the lack of ability to patch.

Now consoles are more akin to PC games in the sense they can be updated, we're seeing more and more PC game syndrome where a game gets shipped and on day 1 there is a 500mb patch to download...

Not really, as I said prior console generations could not pull of some of the things developers have done this generation due to the lack of ability to patch.

Nope, the original Xbox had the ability to patch games. Although patching was not nearly as common as it is now, it was possible and it did happen (ie: Halo 2's 1.1 title update).

I'm another with cut scene lockups on a 40GB PAL machien but my lockups only happened a couple of cut scenes after the first one (when fighting in Roman's office).

Apparently reinstallingthe game fixes it :)

In the end the PC version will be superior.

For those saying that R* should have caught this and that it's all their fault, consider this - all consoles are meant to have the same hardware. Sure, there's some differences in the manufacturing process throughout it's lifespan, but it's Sony/Microsoft's job to ensure that each revision is 100% compatible with older revisions. This means if a bug is found, they either fix it for ALL versions (via software) or reproduce it new versions.

So when R* put their game on say 10, 20 or 30 360's/PS3's and they all ran without a problem, how were they to know that some hardware glitch in very particular models would have problems? And how do you test for those problems, exactly? It's not like you can get one of EVERY single model and test the ENTIRE game on it, you can at best thoroughly test the code on some retail machines and find any bugs in your code, but you've got no chance of being able to find and identify anything like this on a tiny subset of machines, especially when you're essentially promised that one machine will run identical to the next.

Unless you want them to come out to your house and test the game on YOUR machine, you should expect things like this to happen, especially on games as ground breaking and advanced as GTA4.