Why are all cars (cept in US) manual

Why? Well, with the undying words of a certain Homer J. Simpson: "Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooring!"*

*I was forced to drive with an automatic once for about half an hour. Those were the longest 30min in my life.

A real man drives manual.
Nothing beats a manual transmission. Gives the driver more control over his driving and it is a lot more efficient.

[jk]

Was just about to say that.

Automatic transmissions make driving more simple when compared to the manual ones, thus intended for use by the girls... :p

[/jk]

Everyday this becomes the more immature forum like 4chan.

Wait until you break a leg or ankle and come crying how you can't drive anywhere because you can't change gears you'll see why automatic is better.

I change gears without hitting the clutch, I use it just for when I have to be in first gear or in reverse. It's called powershifting.

A real man uses a human powered vehicle, such as a penny-farthing.

[jk]

Having a machine do the work for you, and shelter you from the elements is for girls.

[/jk]

Clearly automatic is for the confused folks.,Even drivers who don't know much about cars will take manual over automatic because they're doing something while driving, it keeps you more focused on the road at the same time so it (should) make you in overall a better driver.

Everyday this becomes the more immature forum like 4chan.

Comparing Neowin to 4chan is like comparing flu to cancer.

Clearly automatic is for the confused folks.,Even drivers who don't know much about cars will take manual over automatic because they're doing something while driving, it keeps you more focused on the road at the same time so it (should) make you in overall a better driver.

Comparing Neowin to 4chan is like comparing flu to cancer.

So Neowin makes you barf but 4chan is likely to kill you?

Whatever the reason, I prefer automatic. Why would I want to make my annoying drive home even more annoying? I say a computer would be way better at determining shift points, especially since it has instantaneous fuel consumption data along with data from dozens of other things that affect performance. Plus I can't even feel when my car shifts from gear to gear, which also adds to the driving experience. What would I base shift points on, a simple tachometer? Not to mention how annoying it would be I am crawling at 1km/h uphill on the drive home and the person behind me is 1 mm away from my bumper so no one gets in front of him. I guess if I had to drive a really cheap car it might be a good option to save $1k.

Hey

I was wondering why in most parts of the world cars are manual instead of automatic. I mean I know manual allows a bit better speed/accelaration and use to be cheaper than automatic but other than that automatic is better as it is one less thing you have to worry about when driving.

Manuals are generally lighter and therefore more fuel efficient, as well as the fact that they are easier to keep in the power band or RPM's you want. Also there's the fact that in other countries people are not as lazy as we are here in the US. Once you learn manual you can drive pretty much any vehicle, with a little bit of practice. Plus there's the fact that automatics are for weenies :p

Its mostly a cultural thing.

In practicality, manuals are cheaper to purchase over automatics and even use less gas.

However automatics are obviously incredibly easy to drive for someone who is learning.

I think the ease of use is what attracts most N. Americans to the automatic cars

just repeating other comments.

manual is easier to maintain and cheaper. better for gas mileage and better driving dynamics.

where i come from the thinking is, if it's automatic, it must be American, and if it's American, it's no good, take it back.

I don't think it could be explained any better. No wonder so many people here in the US drive like idiots.

I can't even count how many times I've seen my life flash before my eyes driving in Milwaukee during Winter. Not only are the roads icy, but people drive like they own the road.

Last week the roads iced over night and there were about 20 crashes and 4 deaths in a 90 minute stretch in the morning. If only people would just use their heads.

Can't imagine what it's like in the bigger cities.

I agree. I think that with automatics people become complacent and distracted from the road. And as if some people aren't already distracted enough. My one sister is on her 4th car since she started driving and she's damaged every single one somewhat seriously. The thing that I resent about people like that is that they victimize themselves.

I agree. I think that with automatics people become complacent and distracted from the road. And as if some people aren't already distracted enough. My one sister is on her 4th car since she started driving and she's damaged every single one somewhat seriously. The thing that I resent about people like that is that they victimize themselves.

Utterly rubbish! I drive an automatic (partly because of my deafness) and is on my second car (the old one being too rusty after 6 years of driving). No accidents other than hitting that dog that crossed the road. My parents have a Ford Falcon XR6 FG on Automatic gear.

It's all about choice. Why let dishwasher wash stuff for you when you can do them yourself? Same thing!!

I disagree with the fun factor with manuals in heavy traffic! Such a bitch! My right leg was just weak after I came home from 4 hours of driving with 2 hours of traffic.

I dont see how an automatic transmission can be linked to your sister's driving.

I disagree with the fun factor with manuals in heavy traffic! Such a bitch! My right leg was just weak after I came home from 4 hours of driving with 2 hours of traffic.

I agree with this. Driving in heavy traffic with a manual is a bitch. However, I still prefer manuals to automatics (only ever driven one though)

Here in India, there are hardly any automatics sold, mostly due to them being more expensive and less fuel-efficient.

I love my manual. I had to drive a automatic when i got my license and shortly after becuase we couldnt find a manual. Well, as soon as we found a GOOD manual, I picked it up. Ive owned my Saturn since august of this year and i LOVE IT.

Driving is soooo much fun. Also, I just put synthetic in there this week(was running close to 3000 miles plus its a 02 with 70k on it and the oil looked alittle bit dirtier then it should, so flush engine and etc).

I have to say, SYNTHETIC FTW! My car runs SO MUCH better. Heats up faster, i get more gas milage, as 30mpg wasnt enough lmao. Better then any car and van in the family. This thing, exspecially in high RPMS(driving fast :p, racing, etc) is sooo much better. I can feel the synthetic oil working becuase it does handle better in RPMS then regular oil.

I have to say it, I love manuals and synthetic oil. I think im getting around 32mpg, its not bad for just 2 mile increase with only a oil change. Cant wait till I add better spark plugs, better air fliter(K&N hopefully or custom intake), fuel filter, etc.

But back to topic, Manuals are great. Of course they are a bitch to drive in the city, but hey, for those who live in NY Chicago Los Angels Detroit, etc etc, its fun sometimes sitting there on the road and REALLY enjoying the city, instead of driving in it.

Ive lived in NY my whole life. Brooklyn to be exact. I have driven thru the main city and around brooklyn queens all the time for 1 1/2 year now and since i got my manual, im seeing more things ive never noticed before. Stores that closed and opened, how busier its gotten in down town, etc etc. So I dont mind driving it in the city. Yes clutch off gas on clutch down brake etc gets trouble some but i let the person creep alittle more then 1/2 a car away before i move. So no problems here.

Hey

I was wondering why in most parts of the world cars are manual instead of automatic. I mean I know manual allows a bit better speed/accelaration and use to be cheaper than automatic but other than that automatic is better as it is one less thing you have to worry about when driving.

Not all cars in Britain are manual.

Driving schools encourage people to learn manual so that they can be licenced to drive both.

I would say, 2/5 cars on British roads is automatic.

See the "[jk]" tag? It's there thinking of you.

I've expressed my opinion, then tried to make a small joke on the subject.

Joke [Question]:

What are 1000 abused women?

Joke [Answer]:

Few

JK

See? I just did the same thing you did. Make a immature, sexist joke but since I put JK, its all good.

Back to the topic at hand: I agree that everyone should learn manual so you can drive anywhere in the world but I perfer automatic; Alot easier and you dont have to think of anything (changing gears, when you are on a hill, etc)

Automatic = more expensive, more boring :p

Manual is better (at least for big cities with a lot of cars) because you can control your fuel consumption much better by changing gear earlier and stuff like that. And yeah it's cheaper.

Personally I don't drive...it doesn't interest me and buses here get me by just fine. I've had my learners for years and no compelling reason to use it.

That said, I'd be leaning towards automatic. It's one less thing to think about and I don't drive to have fun anyway, especially not at 50km or whatever.

Joke [Question]:

What are 1000 abused women?

Joke [Answer]:

Few

JK

See? I just did the same thing you did. Make a immature, sexist joke but since I put JK, its all good.

:huh:

I did nothing of that kind. You made a joke on abusing women, I made a joke about women drivers.

And by the way I acknowledge that women are better drivers than men, the statistics and insurance companies reflect that.

Your joke is just one of very bad taste...