Photo

Microsoft Sued Over Homophobia Claims [Resolved]

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#1 +Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 24 March 2009 - 21:14

According to a former employee of Lionhead Studios, being openly gay at a Microsoft-owned development studio can be just as bad as having an openly gay Xbox Live gamertag.

Gay video game designer Jamie Durrant is suing Microsoft for £45,000 in 'hurt feelings' and lost pay, claiming discrimination on the grounds of sexual orientation. Durrant claims that following Microsoft's buyout of Lionhead, where he has worked for the past 11 years, the atmosphere began to grow uneasy. Around January of last year, Jamie says he began receiving abusive emails with subjects that read "I'm Jim and I'm Gay" and "Me and my Favourite Men", and that he was given the nickname "*** Boy Jim".

Durrant's complaints to the human resources department resulted in nothing more than a promise to send round a memo on how to behave in a diverse workplace once the firm updated their official policies, which never happened. Durrant also claims he was offered counciling, to which his response was
"They're making out that I'm the one with the problem."

As of right now, Jamie has been off work for depression for seven months, and now he is seeking damages. If his claims are legitimate, I'd say he's aiming far too low money-wise, especially considering he's dealing with a company once lauded by the Human Rights Campaign Foundation for their treatment of gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered employees.

Perhaps Lionhead simply didn't get the memo.

Source: http://kotaku.com/51...ver-gay-bashing

#2 Richard Hammond

Richard Hammond

Neowinian Senior

Posted 24 March 2009 - 21:16

If what he claims is true that is disgusting if someone sent memos/emails round ridiculing a black person in the office they would be instantly dismissed (please note im not trying to put sexual orientation and racial issues together im just sick of the double standards).

But this being Neowin i dont expect this thread will end well.

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Guardian

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 24 March 2009 - 21:18

Speaking of sensationalist headlines...

Not condoning what they said of course, but the title is just asking for flame bait.

#4 Zapadlo

Zapadlo

Neowinian

Posted 24 March 2009 - 21:22

People need to learn to get on with their lives and stop trying to make the world revolve around them.

#5 OP +Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 24 March 2009 - 21:23

Speaking of sensationalist headlines...

Not condoning what they said of course, but the title is just asking for flame bait.

Could change it to

"Xbox designer sues Microsoft over '*** Boy' jibes at work" from http://www.dailymail...jibes-work.html

But I think NW censors the word beginning with f and ending in g, otherwise known as a cigarette here :p

It will cause a stir and is screaming for attention, check Kotaku comments....

#6 Richard Hammond

Richard Hammond

Neowinian Senior

Posted 24 March 2009 - 21:24

People need to learn to get on with their lives and stop trying to make the world revolve around them.

What so he should just sit there and put up with 11 years of sexual discrimination just because you are straight and think that hes just attention seeking?

#7 Black Flash

Black Flash

African-Neowinian

Posted 24 March 2009 - 21:25

I think they`ll probably just end up paying him considering the amount of money.

What so he should just sit there and put up with 11 years of sexual discrimination just because you are straight and think that hes just attention seeking?

I think Microsoft acquired lionhead back in 06.

#8 Zapadlo

Zapadlo

Neowinian

Posted 24 March 2009 - 21:28

That is exactly what he should do.

#9 frogger

frogger

Caveman

Posted 24 March 2009 - 21:28

I agree its wrong, but is he seriously suing for "hurt feelings"?
Here comes a flood of lawsuits against former bullies etc...

#10 Richard Hammond

Richard Hammond

Neowinian Senior

Posted 24 March 2009 - 21:29

Yeah sorry i misread the post, hes worked for them for 7 years but a year ago started getting abuse, still doesnt change the fact that no one should sit there and accept sexual discrimination from a bunch of childish adults.

#11 +Mystic

Mystic

Neowinian Senior

I think they`ll probably just end up paying him considering the amount of money.

To set a precedent of paying anybody who files a complaint whether it is legitimate or not?

#12 lunamonkey

lunamonkey

Ten years on Neowin.

What's wrong with an email full of favourite men?

I think he's reading into it too much. :p

#13 Richard Hammond

Richard Hammond

Neowinian Senior

Posted 24 March 2009 - 21:33

That is exactly what he should do.

Why is it EXACTLY what he should do?

If it were racial discrimination or sexual discrimination against a woman everyone would be up in arms about it, its a shame everyone has a meh who cares attitude about gay people, its disgusting.

#14 Andrew

Andrew

Guardian

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 24 March 2009 - 21:45

Could change it to

"Xbox designer sues Microsoft over '*** Boy' jibes at work" from http://www.dailymail...jibes-work.html

But I think NW censors the word beginning with f and ending in g, otherwise known as a cigarette here :p

It will cause a stir and is screaming for attention, check Kotaku comments....

Or you could change it to something better than both sources, since you are number one activist against "sensationalist" headlines these days. Just a little hypocritical on your part is all I'm saying :p

Too late now, the topic is already on a downward spiral, congrats (N)

#15 Dischordiant

Dischordiant

Neowinian

Posted 24 March 2009 - 21:46

Why is it EXACTLY what he should do?

If it were racial discrimination or sexual discrimination against a woman everyone would be up in arms about it, its a shame everyone has a meh who cares attitude about gay people, its disgusting.

Well, when I look at a black man, I can tell they are black. When I look at a woman, I can tell they are a woman. Usually. Chances are, the only way anyone would know this guy was gay, is if he acted gay, or felt the need to blather on about it, like many are prone to do. More often than not, harassment starts, right or wrong, when the gay person acts like an annoying fruit and wants to flutter around like some sort of queen, drawing attention to his sexuality by bringing it up at every oppurtunity. Does that justify the harassment? No. I'm just being honest here when I say this. I'm not a homophobe, I have gay friends, and I realize not all of them choose to act like this. But the ones that act like their life is a gay rights parade get obnoxious after awhile.