WinFS Runs on Top of NTFS, Not a New File System

Like any good business, Microsoft has to balance profit with customer demands and R&D, and this balance occasionally produces products like Windows ME (eww). Microsoft happens to be very good at this, hence they are one of the most profitable (maybe the most profitable) corporation in the world. Now, this doesn't always benefit the consumer, but thats the way it goes.

Also, many of the developers at Microsoft are highly specialized in what they do, so it wouldn't make much sense to place someone from the MSN team who's good at TCP/IP software on the WinFS team and tell them to write a file system, they wouldn't have a clue what to do. Not only that, Cairo (the set of technologies that included OFS) was just too advanced of an idea for Microsoft to create when they originally envisioned it -- the technology wasn't there yet. Its just reaching the point where this vision can be realized. The main work back in the late 90s for the Windows team was getting Windows NT5 (2000) done, and done right, and they succeeded. It took over 3 years to develop Windows 2000, if Microsoft had decided to throw in all the pipedream ideas it had back in 97 we'd still be waiting for an upgrade to NT4.

They would rather release a shi*t OS like Windows ME and make money

no sh*t sherlock ;)

what company doesn't have profits as one of it's top 3 priorities? :p

If they continue releasing fairly simple upgrades like digital audio crap style upgrades I will start pirating copies of Windows from that point on because I don't justify charging even 100 dollars for something with just a new name with features that can be put into Windows XP for free.

then why not stay legal and just put those new things into xp for free?

what company doesn't have profits as one of it's top 3 priorities? :p

A company out of business - or a non-profit organisation (aka a charity).

I don't think it would take that long if they totally focused on this project but they are working so much on what I like to call crap compared to what they could be doing. Like MSN Messenger 6, MSN 8 and other stuff like this. Windows Media Player 9 Series is like the only exception because that really was breakthrough so to speak but all of these other things that to most users won't make much of a difference they spend so much time on. Take Office for example I can't find any new worthwhile features that I would use or even my parents could use and look at how much time they spent on this. Microsoft has to use common sense and learn how to prioritize projects.

I don't think it would take that long if they totally focused on this project but they are working so much on what I like to call crap compared to what they could be doing.  Like MSN Messenger 6, MSN 8 and other stuff like this.  Windows Media Player 9 Series is like the only exception because that really was breakthrough so to speak but all of these other things that to most users won't make much of a difference they spend so much time on.  Take Office for example I can't find any new worthwhile features that I would use or even my parents could use and look at how much time they spent on this.  Microsoft has to use common sense and learn how to prioritize projects.

Don't forget that Office is geared towards business first. The changes there are significant and enterprise applications are taking advantage of it.

• 3 weeks later...

Naja...I think WinFS is something as Indexing Service replacement. It looks like it uses "little bit" memory but makes directory listings , searching etc. much faster.

You can try disable this service, but in example, explorer view of my computer slows down significantly.

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone read Tom's Hardware's review on WinFS? He says it will be a new File System. I sent them an email saying that it's actually a service or server role running on top of NTFS.

Also, I never search for anything so I don't care about WinFS if that's all it does; but I'm sure someday I'll be at work and it will come in handy.