Official Office 2010 Tech Preview (Invitation)

Why can I get this through connect but it isn't in Technet Plus? Someone fell asleep at the wheel I think. How do you tell if you're activated? I chose the auto activate when online option but I'm not sure if it did.

In any office app hit the colored button to the left of the home tab and hit the section below "Saving" but above "Options" (eg. for Microsoft Outlook just click on "Outlook") on the left-hand menu. Then on the right side you'll see licensing information and it should say "You are running a trial version of {Product}" and says the product will become unlicensed in 29 days (at least for me). Try clicking licensing operations (button) to activate the product. Doesn't work for me.

Double-score!

Two Office 2010 betas!

Even better, both are either/or (32-bit and 64-bit); in other words, the keys are not bitness-specific.

I found a *second* Office 2010 beta invite in my inbox today (3 AM on 7/14, after a cleanout/reinstall of Windows 7 64-bit and Office 2010 Tech Preview Home and Business).

Obviously, I must be doing something right (or the Office beta/TAP is going to be opened really, really, *wide*.....)

Can I have one :D? I signed up but I'm not sure if I'm going to get in. Hopefully I did it properly. I hope it works; I really want to test 2010 out.

Edited by BoneyardBrew

Just installed it on my Windows 7 test partition. Man it flies! Word and Excel open in less than 1 sec, and the interface feels lighter weight somehow, though it's really only slightly tweaked from 2007.

Some of the new features have already come in handy while typing a Word document earlier. The backstage will take some getting used to though. So far I'm pretty impressed. And Office 2010 and Windows 7 make a great team :D

Just installed it on my Windows 7 test partition. Man it flies! Word and Excel open in less than 1 sec, and the interface feels lighter weight somehow, though it's really only slightly tweaked from 2007.

Some of the new features have already come in handy while typing a Word document earlier. The backstage will take some getting used to though. So far I'm pretty impressed. And Office 2010 and Windows 7 make a great team :D

You've noticed that, have you? (Not being sarcastic, as I've noticed the same thing.)

I've got Windows 7 64-bit (build 7600) on my primary PC hosting Office Professional 64-bit (primarily for shootout testing; however, Office Professional also sees quite a lot of home deployment, especially for home offices and home-based businesses). Right now, even if you use none of the new features, it *still* makes sense to upgrade from previous versions of Office for the performance improvements alone. (The performance increase is *that marked*.) The 64-bit Windows and 64-bit Office are fitting together like bacoin and eggs; I've only seen this kind of mesh between Windows and Office (and I've been using Office for fourteen years) just twice before; Office 2000 and Windows 2000 Professional (the only time I'd ever used Office in an office setting, oddly enough was from 2000-2001, and I had already migrated at home) and Office 97 and Windows NT 4.01 Workstation (so much so that Microsoft actually featured Office in their Windows NT ads).

One new feature in Word is going to actually make one thing I do now (writing lesson plans) a great deal easier; Word now supports PDF exports directly (not requiring an add-in or plug-in, as had been the case with Word 2007). It's just as easy to export to PDF as any other Word-allowed format (Word didn't drop any format support in either direction); if I need ODF support, Word is just as accomodating. (Not exactly good news for OO on Windows; in fact, that was the one thing I had been using OO for.)

So far so good, though it runs much slower than 2007 (i'll blame it on the beta status of the code).

Whats odd is that I've been invited to three different Tech Preview programs for 2010. Really really odd. Only thing to do is test them on multiple machines :p

I heard this was known on the newsgroups. Check a few pages back... Everything actually is activated, but says otherwise.

Mine certainly doesn't seem to think it's activated :/ If Microsoft are going to put this crappy anti-piracy technology into their software the least they could do would be to actually make it work

post-286512-1247787200_thumb.png

So far so good, though it runs much slower than 2007 (i'll blame it on the beta status of the code).

Whats odd is that I've been invited to three different Tech Preview programs for 2010. Really really odd. Only thing to do is test them on multiple machines :p

If anything, I've found it to be *faster* than Office 2007; could it be because I'm running the 64-bit flavor? Which version of 2010 are you running?

Mine certainly doesn't seem to think it's activated :/ If Microsoft are going to put this crappy anti-piracy technology into their software the least they could do would be to actually make it work

That seems to be what users are saying in the MS newsgroups, though the MS MVPS are saying not to fret and it will last a few months.

:iiam:

If anything, I've found it to be *faster* than Office 2007; could it be because I'm running the 64-bit flavor? Which version of 2010 are you running?

Couldn't install the 64 bit because of Office 2007 and Expression 2. 64 bit and 32 bit client based software apparently cannot be installed in parallel. That I don't understand but ok.

Put 2k10 on my work machine yesterday afternoon. 64bit Outlook 2010 is unbelievably fast.. I have an exchange inbox with 10,500 items and I can scroll and search through all of them like they were nothing.. I couldn't do that in any previous version of outlook. Everyone who saw the performance was floored.

Same here. I installed the 32 bit version and have found it to be MUCH faster starting up and using than Office 2007.

Hopefully this hasn't been posted before...

Just received this email from Microsoft Connect:

The build number is 14.0.4006.1110.

Anybody else got the above?

I seem to have 14.0.4032.1000 ;)

Also, uninstaller is borked.

I seem to have 14.0.4032.1000

That's the one that got leaked, not the official one at Connect :)

The official one is 14.0.4006.1110.

Same here. I installed the 32 bit version and have found it to be MUCH faster starting up and using than Office 2007.

Try the x64 version. (And make sure you keep that bottle handy; you're going to need it. Along with a good friend. And smelling salts.)

I don't understand why I haven't had an invitation. I'm registered with Connect (I haven't put my address and number in with it though because I don't want them pestering me, and I'm only 14) and I applied on the office2010themovie website, but nothing. And I want it.

I don't understand why I haven't had an invitation. I'm registered with Connect (I haven't put my address and number in with it though because I don't want them pestering me, and I'm only 14) and I applied on the office2010themovie website, but nothing. And I want it.

Check your spam box. In my google email account google put it in spam(google maybe doing shifty things?) and my aol account it was in the normal email box .

Try the x64 version. (And make sure you keep that bottle handy; you're going to need it. Along with a good friend. And smelling salts.)

I'll give it a try tonight. Maybe I'll break out my Don Julio 1942 for the occasion. :-)

Check your spam box. In my google email account google put it in spam(google maybe doing shifty things?) and my aol account it was in the normal email box .

Not there. Have the keys all been re-used or are they unique?

Same. I guess I just have to wait.