Photo

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#31 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 22 February 2010 - 01:11

Nope. I moved on from it with Windows XP. Now, I can barely stand going back to Windows Vista's Aero UI. Windows 7's Aero UI is aesthetically pleasing and functional - two things the Classic UI wasn't.

#32 fhpuqrgrpgvirzhpujbj

fhpuqrgrpgvirzhpujbj

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 February 2010 - 04:11

I switch back and forth, I like them both.

#33 random_n

random_n

Neowinian

Posted 22 February 2010 - 04:22

I would have used it in Vista, but Windows Explorer is a total abortion in Classic. Windows 7 has enough refinements to Aero to make it preferrable.

I use classic daily on my 2003 "workstation" at home, though. Sometimes I'll toss up the old Watercolor style. There's something wonderfully no-BS about those themes.

#34 ranasrule

ranasrule

Feel the RAWpower !!!

Posted 22 February 2010 - 04:23

no way....aero rocks

#35 Richard C.

Richard C.

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 25 February 2010 - 18:02

If the class in Windows 7 and Vista was the same as it was in 2000 and XP (including classic login) I'd use it, but it doesn't it looks horrible

#36 SMELTN

SMELTN

Neowinian Senior

• OS: Windows 7 Ultimate, 2012 Macbook Pro, CR-48 Chromebook from Google
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 25 February 2010 - 18:04

I can't stand the normal classic look anymore. I have to use XP at work still and I hate it!!!

#37 intrinity1

intrinity1

Neowinian

Posted 25 February 2010 - 18:07

The classic was good but there's a reason it's called classic. Aero make's it feel like you're working in an updated environment. I love Aero and can't imagine going back to classic.

#38 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• Tech Issues Solved: 9
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1u1

Posted 25 February 2010 - 18:12

Not really i am very happy with the Current Windows 7 UI however, i do wish there were an option to make it more Clear rather than colored.

#39 Bonfire

Bonfire

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Rotary Dial

Posted 25 February 2010 - 18:20

Yes, very much. I don't need a flashy UI with girly sparkles and rainbows jumping out at me. It's a computer. The interface should remain in the background relatively unseen. Plus I think the classic UI is far more "aesthetically pleasing" than all that silly glass stuff.

That being said XP was the last version Classic looked right in. The new menus and other features in Vista and 7 look like crap in classic mode because they clearly weren't designed around it. Big blank areas, misaligned buttons, etc.

#40 Denis W.

Denis W.

The True North!

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 27 February 2010 - 05:47

Classic isn't horrible, but since post XP Classic looks like a total GUI abortion, especially when it's mixed with the Explorers of Vista and 7.

And for the last time, you can't "drop" Classic...

#41 prz

prz

minimalism

• Phone: Motorola Droid Razr

Posted 27 February 2010 - 17:09

yes

#42 johnnyftw

johnnyftw

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 February 2010 - 19:50

I think the reason why people loved Classic so much was because it was more consistent(Native) in term of GUI.. Windows Vista/7 has some work when it comes to that.. A lot of things don't look right in Windows Vista and Seven.. Programs dont take advantage of Aero

Classic isn't horrible, but since post XP Classic looks like a total GUI abortion, especially when it's mixed with the Explorers of Vista and 7.

And for the last time, you can't "drop" Classic...

Yeah you cant "drop" Classic... or could you? o.O

Either way they could fine tune it. They could do it but don't want to.. There's no future in classic.

#43 thealexweb

thealexweb

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 February 2010 - 19:52

Classic look is pretty good but I use Aero nearly all the time.

#44 Jen Smith

Jen Smith

Gone

Posted 07 March 2010 - 18:29

I couldn't use Classic on a daily basis myself. The only place I use it is on my Windows Server machines as there's no reason to be using that kind of overhead on a server. On the desktops.. no. Not a huge fan of glass, but the other visuals it provides is actually rather nice, very similar to what I do with Compiz or KWin on my BSD boxes. (I don't use the cube and such on Compiz.. pretty much mimics what Aero gives me in Windows. Microsoft got it just right there. Pretty without being ridiculous.)

I think the only two things I'd like to see Aero do that it can't yet is multiple desktops for those with a single display, thinking of Compiz Wall if you're familiar with that. (I prefer dual monitors myself but not everyone has it.) The other would be the ability to pin taskbar preview thumbnails to be always visible regardless of where the mouse is. For example, running Visual Studio fullscreen, with a preview version of Firefox running a video. Or another way to possible work that is "minimizing to a thumbnail", and it's always visible.

The last time I stuck with ye olde Classic theme on a desktop was back with Windows 2000 Pro. Haven't missed it.

#45 vetsanctified

sanctified

Your order is meaningless. My chaos is significant.

• Phone: iPhone 5 (very cheap second hand)

Posted 07 March 2010 - 18:34

Classic used to be my favorite on XP

Now I can say I'm getting used to Windows 7's Aero. It's just very well made.