Geek Squad Wouldn't Honor My Netbook's Protection Plan

All i can say is well duh why pay for a warranty which is useless. Better off going directly to manufacturer for warranty repairs they'll sort you out usually or point you in the nearest out sourced authorized repair place for free without charging you. All retail electronics stores are like this for most part maybe less arrogant but still, in their eyes other OS's are just like overclocking. At least here in NZ we have the Consumer Guarantees Act which protects consumers and products from this situation. Retailers are allowed to do it but 90% of the extended warranty goes on the sellers commission pay pretty much why there's no point in going for it really.

well if we dont have the software to clone a drive, how do you want them to do it? You can buy the software and have us clone it, thats not a problem but it is illegal for us to use that software unless the customer owns it. 149 is to backup all data not including windows and program files, if you copy program folders they wont work anyways, so whats the point?

It's false advertising and a freaking disgusting rip off. Stop trying to defend it. It's wrong. Fact. Good God.

well if we dont have the software to clone a drive, how do you want them to do it? You can buy the software and have us clone it, thats not a problem but it is illegal for us to use that software unless the customer owns it. 149 is to backup all data not including windows and program files, if you copy program folders they wont work anyways, so whats the point?

He wanted the hard disk cloned, not copy pasta'ing files. If you clone a hard drive, the clone will work exactly like the original one did. Every single bit of data would be replicated from the original on to the clone.

Is it possible someone can point where it says the reader contacted corporate? I do not see this anywhere in the article.

Last Chapter, right in the middle of it. "To be fair, after a call to customer service I have been informed that the geek squad manager "handled the situation poorly" and that the store manager and the district manager would be notified."

Someone, please open another electronics store to combat this problem. I'm still mourning the loss of Circuit City and CompUSA, but this has got to stop. They're acting like bullies.

It's false advertising and a freaking disgusting rip off. Stop trying to defend it. It's wrong. Fact. Good God.

false advertising how? rip off? i dont disagree but 149 is cheap when you compare it to a data recovery lab which can run into the 1000's. Anyways data backup is no longer under 2 sku (99 and 149) but rather just 99 now no matter the data. And you have to understand ive had clients who wanted 300gb of data backed up which is our unlimited backup 149 at the time. 149 for anything over 10 gb isnt exactly overpriced, unless i guess your data isnt important to you.

He wanted the hard disk cloned, not copy pasta'ing files. If you clone a hard drive, the clone will work exactly like the original one did. Every single bit of data would be replicated from the original on to the clone.

we DO NOT offer cloning simple as that, unless the client provides the software which he obviously didnt.

did you compare copying a few folders off a drive to the work done at a data recovery lab? damn, remind me if my hd gets burnded to a crisp to take it to geek squad!

seriously you guys should charge $20 for that "service".

Since when did you need software to copy data from a drive ? no wonder GS has a bad rep if they can't copy data from a harddrive without software that has a giant "copy data" button.

I'm perfectly able to copy all data from anywhere on a users hardrive to an external HDD with or without application folders without any extra software, and for less than $145

They are obviously trying to explain that they don't clone a hard drive, since they don't have the software for use by GS. If the customer provided it they would have done it. Of course they can back up data or copy anything from a hard drive to a disc as anyone can!

Someone, please open another electronics store to combat this problem. I'm still mourning the loss of Circuit City and CompUSA, but this has got to stop. They're acting like bullies.

CompUSA is still around, just maybe not in your area. And thank god Tigerdirect bought them, the customer service/pricing has all gotten better.

Since when did you need software to copy data from a drive ? no wonder GS has a bad rep if they can't copy data from a harddrive without software that has a giant "copy data" button.

I'm perfectly able to copy all data from anywhere on a users hardrive to an external HDD with or without application folders without any extra software, and for less than $145

You obviously dont understand, no due we dont need a program to copy files, but to actually CLONE a drive say with acronis we CANNOT DO UNLESS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED.

They are obviously trying to explain that they don't clone a hard drive, since they don't have the software for use by GS. If the customer provided it they would have done it. Of course they can back up data or copy anything from a hard drive to a disc as anyone can!

exactly.

The thing about our prices, yes seem overpriced to us (people who know how to use computers fluently) but when shopping the competition we are either cheaper or about the same (this is in my area, YMMV).

Some of you guys are like sheep, it isnt even worth trying to defend or explain. Im done here.

false advertising how? rip off? i dont disagree but 149 is cheap when you compare it to a data recovery lab which can run into the 1000's. Anyways data backup is no longer under 2 sku (99 and 149) but rather just 99 now no matter the data. And you have to understand ive had clients who wanted 300gb of data backed up which is our unlimited backup 149 at the time. 149 for anything over 10 gb isnt exactly overpriced, unless i guess your data isnt important to you.

we DO NOT offer cloning simple as that, unless the client provides the software which he obviously didnt.

1. it's not so much as whether the service is cheap or not but whether it's actually doing the job required. HD's are huge now and you can't fault the customer for wanting to back up more than 10 gb of data.

2. backing up a hd automatically means everything to the customer unless specified otherwise. if the service is provided then either it should be made clear to the customer that "hey, we only back up the stuff that's in the "my..." folders" nothing else. it makes no sense to ASSUME this and then give the customer a pleasant surprise when they come back to find out their personal saved stuff which, in many instances, saved in the program folder, is gone.

3. if you do not offer cloning as simple as that, it IS a problem (not yours, but the company's) so don't defend that. what you said above is like saying that if a car as a problem with the brakes, then the customer should provide the tools to replace the brakes in addition to paying for the service itself.

4. the problem is the lack of communication along with false presumptions. customer assumes (rightly) that he's getting a full back up because that's what he requested and paid for, you assume the customer knows it only means personal folders. the onus falls on the service provider, not the customer.

1. it's not so much as whether the service is cheap or not but whether it's actually doing the job required. HD's are huge now and you can't fault the customer for wanting to back up more than 10 gb of data. We charged 99 for up to one single layer DVD. If a client brings us a HDD 99 for unlimited anyways. Most of the time they do not provide external storage, so anything about a single dual layer dvd fell into the unlimited area. How am i faulting them because i charge more for anything over 10gb? That makes no sense at all.

2. backing up a hd automatically means everything to the customer unless specified otherwise. if the service is provided then either it should be made clear to the customer that "hey, we only back up the stuff that's in the "my..." folders" nothing else. it makes no sense to ASSUME this and then give the customer a pleasant surprise when they come back to find out their personal saved stuff which, in many instances, saved in the program folder, is gone. No it actually doesnt, we have the client fill out the form telling us what they want to have backed up. If they use any other program, its their duty to tell us. We dont go snooping around data (whether you want to believe that or not), so how am i supposed to know they use some odd program that saves to program folder? If they dont tell us to back it up, we wont.

3. if you do not offer cloning as simple as that, it IS a problem (not yours, but the company's) so don't defend that. what you said above is like saying that if a car as a problem with the brakes, then the customer should provide the tools to replace the brakes in addition to paying for the service itself. We do not have commercial licensed software to clone drives, it is illegal for us to use off the shelf software for commercial use. How is it a problem we do not offer that? Your analogy is incorrect, obviously you take your car somewhere that repairs brakes, of course they will have the tools. We dont offer cloning of the drive, unless the client already has the software and wants it cloned. I dont understand how this doesnt make sense?

4. the problem is the lack of communication along with false presumptions. customer assumes (rightly) that he's getting a full back up because that's what he requested and paid for, you assume the customer knows it only means personal folders. the onus falls on the service provider, not the customer.Assuming only makes you look like an ass, like i clearly stated they fill out a form telling me what to back up and where it is located. There is no false presumption, its all straight forward.

BS, just bloody BS. The fans are run by the BIOS, not the OS. No matter what OS is being used.

Please hand over your geek card. Your privileges have just been revoked.

Linux actually did break a laptop once because it didn't have drivers to control the fan and spun it out of control, but that's beside the point.

Sue.

did you compare copying a few folders off a drive to the work done at a data recovery lab? damn, remind me if my hd gets burnded to a crisp to take it to geek squad!

seriously you guys should charge $20 for that "service".

so you find it expensive that for 149 you get an external harddrive, your data backed up, and automated data backups setup and the first one created? i guess there is no pleasing you.

I actually got thrown out of a local(Formally) best buy, when someone who was looking at the same hardware I was, asked me a question on what I thought was a great video card, I answered, and got thrown out when a manager saw me. When I refused to leave, he threatened to call security, when I asked why? He threatened to "**** me up" if I don't leave. So I left and never went back to that store. The person I was talking to also left, and proceeded to buy his video card somewhere else.

I'll make a note though, that everyone else, including the Geek Squad, were super incredibly nice, and helpful, the only issue I had was with the manager of the store in general. Never had a single issue with Geek Squad, even when I had to return a Radeon HD 4850 that worked, but didn't work in my machine, they accepted it and gave me my $200 back, although that was in a local store where I live now.

Edited by XmoshiX

You obviously dont understand, no due we dont need a program to copy files, but to actually CLONE a drive say with acronis we CANNOT DO UNLESS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED.

There are free cloning softwares out there, like g4u. You aren't trying to claim that every user needs to buy you each a copy of cloning software in order for Best Buy / Geek Squad to be capable of cloning a drive. Are you?

I believe the issue with the cloning is copyright concerns.

If your doing it at home using software you bought, its considered a 'personal backup' which is legal, if best buy (or another store) does it, its a 3rd party making a copy, and then you start getting into legal issues...

This reminds me of a laptop I dropped of for service because of a fan malfunction. They claimed it happened because I had added more RAM which wasn't the original brand and that caused the PC to overheat.

As of that day I seriously wonder how many less knowledgeable people have been screwed over over this kind of silly things.

There are free cloning softwares out there, like g4u. You aren't trying to claim that every user needs to buy you each a copy of cloning software in order for Best Buy / Geek Squad to be capable of cloning a drive. Are you?

do you guys not understand how the real world works? We have a list of approved tools from corporate, any other tools than those we CANNOT USE. WE DO NOT HAVE COMMERCIAL LICENSES for these softwares. Yes, i am claiming they need to buy the software for us to use it, whats hard to understand? THis isnt a mom and pop shop who can use pirated software or "free" software. Free doesnt mean its ok to use in a commercial environment. If it is not an approved piece of software from corporate we cannot use it, unless the client already has it installed or we are installing it for them.

How is this so hard to understand for you guys?

I believe the issue with the cloning is copyright concerns.

If your doing it at home using software you bought, its considered a 'personal backup' which is legal, if best buy (or another store) does it, its a 3rd party making a copy, and then you start getting into legal issues...

yes and no, like i stated if the client owns some sort of cloning software and would like us to clone their drive, we can do this as the client owns the software. If someone brings in a laptop drive and buys a new drive and wants us to clone it, we cannot do this unless the client provides the software for us to clone the drive.

BS, just bloody BS. The fans are run by the BIOS, not the OS. No matter what OS is being used.

Please hand over your geek card. Your privileges have just been revoked.

Is that why Windows run like crap on MacBook and the system run hot?

Dam I hate Apple. It refuse to fix my hard drive leaving me to pay for a new one. The Genius Bar people said that there is nothing wrong with my MPB. Good, I will never buy from Apple again. It's not like Snow Leopard is a big fat loose compare to Windows 7 anyway.