Umm...how did opera get installed?

Umm I got a little problem.. Opera somehow got installed on my Mac without me knowing... how the hell did that happen?

I'm the only user of this mac and the last 3 things installed were (in this very order) Mac OS X 10.6.3 Combo Update, Messenger:Mac 8 Beta and Google Chrome...

And it's not showing up under System Profiler as being installed :s

I found this out when I went to open a torrent in uTorrent...

I have CS4 installed... but ti was installed ages before utorrent and opera never launched before for torrents...

Seems the file association for .torrent files has defaulted to Opera. Just change back to uTorrent and your good to go. yes.gif

Yes but my question is where is Opera.app hiding? as I have no need to have it on my system (I already have 3 other browsers...)

Yes but my question is where is Opera.app hiding? as I have no need to have it on my system (I already have 3 other browsers...)

Opera resides in the Adobe Bridge app bundle. Navigate to "Adobe Bridge CS4.app > Show Package Contents > Contents > MacOS" I believe you can safely delete "Opera" from within the app bundle and Bridge still works fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Opera is on every Mac. You just don't know it until you try what you tried. It's not in your Applications folder. It's hidden!

Don't remove it either. It's not easy to find and it's better off left on it.

No, I'm not kidding. It's on every single Mac made!

Do you have the Adobe Creative Suite installed? Opera comes with it.

Seriously :o :wacko:

The more and more I deal with CS4 at work, the more I realise that Adobe are a cowboy outfit

Opera is on every Mac. You just don't know it until you try what you tried. It's not in your Applications folder. It's hidden!

Don't remove it either. It's not easy to find and it's better off left on it.

No, I'm not kidding. It's on every single Mac made!

Care to explain yourself? Opera does NOT come installed by default on new Macs. Period.

Source?

You're gonna have to trust me on this one. I got into it from a torrent (as our original poster did). I did not have CS4 installed at the time. Keep in mind this is a new iMac from late '09. I know this was before CS4 was installed because I haven't had CS4 for that long (a month or two).

I know that Adobe CS can install it onto your system. I absolutely know that CS4 was not on my Mac at the time that Opera opened.

I'll dig up some info if I can find it.

Care to explain yourself? Opera does NOT come installed by default on new Macs. Period.

As I just explained to "Mike Brown", I know I didn't have CS4 on my Mac when Opera opened (from a torrent link in Safari). I've not had my Mac that long (almost 4 months). I've had CS4 for even shorter (1 maybe 2 months).

If I am correct, I was searching for CS4 when I opened a torrent link. Once Opera opened I freaked out and just quit everything.

BTW my friend ended up giving me a copy of CS4 a few weeks later.

The only think Adobe-related on my Mac at the time was Acrobat.com and Reader 9.

What a load of nonsense. The only way Opera will find its way on your Mac is by either installing Adobe CS4 or to download it yourself. You can examine the Mac OS X Install DVD with an application like Pacifist (which will reveal everything), no Opera is there...

It makes no sense for Opera to be there anyway. No sense at all.

That's why it's not bundled. :p

Do you have the Adobe Creative Suite installed? Opera comes with it.

No, it uses WebKit now. And I don't think it ever came with Opera. Only Presto.

Opera is on every Mac.

No it isn't.

Maybe you have paranormal activities in your house. They're attracted to Macs only, because they're wonderful --- joke.

Well I didn't know that Opera comes with Adobe CS4. Anyway, if that's not the case maybe someone else accessed your computer.

No, it uses WebKit now. And I don't think it ever came with Opera. Only Presto.

Adobe CS3 and CS4 come with Opera. It's located inside Bridge's package contents.

Wowzers, you're right. Wonder what that's for! Sneaky. :shiftyninja: *reports adobe to stopbadware* xD

I just pulled it out and extracted it. It's definitely a regular Opera.app. I've opened it and everything. Opera 9.27. :p

Only the Opera engine was distributed with Adobe CS, AFAIK. Not the full browser. And it certainly didn't set itself as the default browser.

Being stubborn much? Again, the FULL Opera browser is located inside Bridge CS4's package contents:

screenshot20100423at030f.png