Linux Mint 9

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 dmb219

dmb219

Neowinian

• 301 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:00

Looks like it's finished, official word soon. An excellent distro.
Mint 9

#2 Phenom II

Phenom II

Neowin Junkie

• 4,808 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:03

Whats different beween the CD and DVD versions? There is less than 100Mb between them

#3 Pallab

Pallab

Neowinian

• 1,419 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:47

The difference is in selection of a few apps.

The DVD simply contains a few more packages which could not fit on the CD, such as Sun Java, Samba and ttf-DejaVu.

#4 LiquidSolstice

LiquidSolstice

Neowinian Senior

• 4,801 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:39

With all respect, what exactly is supposed to set Linux Mint apart from Ubuntu besides (from what I can tell after running it in a VM) besides a Vista/7-esqe Start Bar, a different login skin/set of wallpapers/window borders/ and some sort of built-in backup tool?

Because no offense, I can't see why I'd use this when there's Ubuntu :/. Not trolling, I'm honestly asking a genuine question (Windows is my primary OS anyway)

#5 tablet_user

tablet_user

Neowinian

• 1,288 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:52

With all respect, what exactly is supposed to set Linux Mint apart from Ubuntu besides (from what I can tell after running it in a VM) besides a Vista/7-esqe Start Bar, a different login skin/set of wallpapers/window borders/ and some sort of built-in backup tool?

Because no offense, I can't see why I'd use this when there's Ubuntu :/. Not trolling, I'm honestly asking a genuine question (Windows is my primary OS anyway)

nothing. both are the bloated stepchildren of debian.

#6 Joshie

Joshie

Wandering NPC

• 4,700 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:18

Seems to be that it comes with a lot of multimedia features/codecs built-in where Ubuntu has you download them at first need. So I suppose it's a bit more 'ready to go' out of the box than Ubuntu. It also sticks to a more comfortable feel than some bizarre need to try things out of left field like Canonical.

/though your average purist would have you think any distribution of Linux trying to be desktop-ready and grandma-friendly is 'bloated'
//up hill, both ways! get off my lawn!

#7 Pallab

Pallab

Neowinian

• 1,419 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:23

It's just Ubuntu with more polish. 

#8 LiquidSolstice

LiquidSolstice

Neowinian Senior

• 4,801 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:25

Seems to be that it comes with a lot of multimedia features/codecs built-in where Ubuntu has you download them at first need. So I suppose it's a bit more 'ready to go' out of the box than Ubuntu. It also sticks to a more comfortable feel than some bizarre need to try things out of left field like Canonical.

/though your average purist would have you think any distribution of Linux trying to be desktop-ready and grandma-friendly is 'bloated'
//up hill, both ways! get off my lawn!

Is that....legal? I thought Ubuntu didn't do that for that sole reason?

And I'm surprised to hear you say Canonical try things out of the blue, I was under the impression they're very slow to approve things, because I remember it took them forever and a half to move to Firefox 3.5.

#9 farmeunit

farmeunit

The other white meat.

• 2,820 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:37

Linux Mint does a few custom things like: http://linuxmint.com...ls_and_specials

I personally just like the look of it better and having the codecs already there. I know it's easy to do in Ubuntu, but I just like Mint.

They were one of the first ones to include the "slab" menu or whatever it is actually called.

#10 bogas04

bogas04

This title is bogus

• 2,742 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:47

Would a normal windows user go for DVD version if he has slow net ? I mean does it matter?

#11 Pallab

Pallab

Neowinian

• 1,419 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 06:44

Would a normal windows user go for DVD version if he has slow net ? I mean does it matter?

The difference in size is only about 100 MB so you can go for it. Even otherwise, you can always selectively install the required packages from the repository (if and when they are needed).

#12 Negi

Negi

Neowinian

• 199 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 06:45

And I'm surprised to hear you say Canonical try things out of the blue, I was under the impression they're very slow to approve things, because I remember it took them forever and a half to move to Firefox 3.5.

Yes, Ubuntu's repositories lags behind the real world by months, sometimes years. Yes, Canonical are also keen on approving things of dubious value like the messaging menu and window controls on the left.

#13 vetmarkjensen

markjensen

Linux noob since Red Hat 5.1

• 24,502 posts
  • Phone: Android and iPhone

Posted 17 May 2010 - 11:00

Yes, Ubuntu's repositories lags behind the real world by months, sometimes years.

Say what?

Before I call our your post for the B.S. that it appears to be, I will ask you to tell me what package in the Ubuntu repos is "years" behind. What package has been updated two years ago, but still has an older version in the Ubuntu repos?

#14 x-byte

x-byte

Neowinian

• 4,150 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 15:36

Mint is more of everything you need pre-installed. Like a complete package. Which is why I like Mint so much. There is a lot of small features in it as well that sets it apart.

#15 Legendkiller

Legendkiller

Neowinian

• 43 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 15:40

even with all my bias against Mint's Kde team..............................Gnome has always been good and somewhat more rounded version of Ubuntu..

I tried just now and was very very dis-appointed........................apart from updated kernel and packages....................what's new? :angry:

this just seems to be Mint8+ security updates+new wallpapers..................thats it.pls don't talk about new mintupdate.

People at mint are very smart.Wait for ubuntu to do all work,in 1mth polish it and release it as "ubuntu++"...................

Note:
don't slam me here,i am not going to read replies... :D

agree completely..................still they find excuses to release late....................

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!