Linux Mint 9

Mint started out as a great idea: It was a fresh spin on boring ol' Ubuntu. It had a new look, it had the popular media codecs already installed, and it had a more intuitive menu. But sadly, even after all the releases, nothing has changed. It feels like Ubuntu with green theme slapped onto it and a few extra programs.

I think you're trying something else, not Mint. First of all, there IS an icon based logon screen, I never had to type my user name or do something else than click on the picture and type the password.

And I also have a dhcp lan that I use, it works without problems in this distro. Or Ubuntu, for that matter. :)

No, I know what distro I'm installing, and just like ubuntu 10.4 this one provides me with a text logon screen where I need to enter the username first.

and the fact that network works for you isn't very useful to me is it. and yes it works in Ubuntu for me as well. which makes it weird that mint managed to break it, but they still did. And they should still both have supported my wifi out of the box.

I have never needed to type in my username in Mint. You must have done something wrong. And the ethernet issue might be resolved by restarting your router.

No, I know what distro I'm installing, and just like ubuntu 10.4 this one provides me with a text logon screen where I need to enter the username first.

and the fact that network works for you isn't very useful to me is it. and yes it works in Ubuntu for me as well. which makes it weird that mint managed to break it, but they still did. And they should still both have supported my wifi out of the box.

Obviously, I was joking about the distro thing. But yes, you did something and maybe screw up the login screen, because the default one, after the installation, is with a picture, so you don't have to type the user name. Keep in mind that I installed it via mint4win, so maybe yours it's a "standard" installation issue, I don't know.

About the ethernet thing, I really don't know what to say. Worked for me right out of the box, with a integrated nic (nvidia chipset).

I have never needed to type in my username in Mint. You must have done something wrong. And the ethernet issue might be resolved by restarting your router.

Seriously, my router. I tried at home and at work. and my router restarts regularly, it's not the issue here.

Obviously, I was joking about the distro thing. But yes, you did something and maybe screw up the login screen, because the default one, after the installation, is with a picture, so you don't have to type the user name. Keep in mind that I installed it via mint4win, so maybe yours it's a "standard" installation issue, I don't know.

About the ethernet thing, I really don't know what to say. Worked for me right out of the box, with a integrated nic (nvidia chipset).

Exactly how do you screw anything up during the mint install ? just curious ...

Seriously, my router. I tried at home and at work. and my router restarts regularly, it's not the issue here.

Exactly how do you screw anything up during the mint install ? just curious ...

I don't know, but how else could you explain that you have the issue and others don't? :)

I don't know, but how else could you explain that you have the issue and others don't? :)

on a blank default install. I could explain it with shoddy coding and quality control.

?

Worked for me in a few occasions whenever my ethernet behave strangely. Both with Windows and Linux that is.

on a blank default install. I could explain it with shoddy coding and quality control.

I've installed on 3 computers with no problems (soon on 4). All with different ethernet controller. All working out of the box. Sorry that you have these kind of problems.

Not sure what wireless adaptor you own. But, in my experience (recently in-fact) my broadcom chipset needed a specific 'firmware' that wasn't supported by the manufacturer(dell). This firmware is provided automatically with certain distributions, however not all utilize this and it must be downloaded separately. Something to keep in mind.

I will say, that typically (in ubuntus case) it does mention in 'dmesg' the command to download and install the broadcom drivers/firmware but it must be done on a secondary connection (which in your case you can't do).

Also, I've found with certain distro's (suse) I've had to manually edit the iwconfig files and run 'network restart' in order to have wireless access.

Because I'm a stubbornly thorough person who doesn't give up, even though it's really not worth the trouble.

I'd like to confirm that networking in mint is also broken when running in live. As I said, shoddy coding and shoddy testing. these are things that should just never happen.

Wireless doesn't work for me, just as it didn't in Ubuntu.

If the native drivers/modules in *nix are broke for your chipset, try ndiswrapper as a last resort. But, id make sure you have the latest, or more specifically a driver/module that better suites your chipset/manufacture.

And that's convenient compared to event viewer how ?

You can view what you need via nano and not need the overhead of a full gui?

Its convenient to myself and im a casual linux user - only use linux for servers...

If you need event viewer, then code an equivalent application for X sever, or pay microsoft the licensing fee for using their tools?

See, my problem with 'ready to go' is that it is obsolete the day after you burn your CD/DVD. I'd rather use a minimal install of Debian and set my repositories to unstable/experimental and then download the current build of whatever applications that I choose. I could use that same Debian mini-CD next year and it would work just about as well as a starting point.

Debian set to use unstable binaries never really gets obsolete. Unless you b0rk your entire system there's no need for an upgrade CD. You just continually update as you go.

Unless I'm missing something, the only thing you want is a rolling-release distro, instead of something inherently special to Debian unstable.

It seems quite possible to have both that and 'ready to go' at the same time, no?

Its convenient to myself and im a casual linux user - only use linux for servers...

If you need event viewer, then code an equivalent application for X sever, or pay microsoft the licensing fee for using their tools?

You seem a bit arrogant.

I guess he is asking for a more central place to read logs quickly. Going through directories isn't exactly fast and efficient if you ask me. Having a tool similar to event viewer would be a good start.

You seem a bit arrogant.

I guess he is asking for a more central place to read logs quickly. Going through directories isn't exactly fast and efficient if you ask me. Having a tool similar to event viewer would be a good start.

Like gnome-system-log?

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/ubuntu-linux-gnome-system-log-viewer/

post-36818-12742655929966.jpg

Wireless doesn't work for me, just as it didn't in Ubuntu.

Edit: Sorry Growled I quoted the wrong person! :blush: Anyway for the person who had wired connection issues!

Try this:

Code: Select all:

lspci

lsusb

ifconfig -a

Then check the output to see that your Ethernet interface is working! If it is, check to see that the interface is picking up an IP address from the DHCP:

To check if it has worked, open a terminal and type:

Code: Select all

ifconfig eth0

It should show you the interface, the IP Address assigned to it and that it is up.

If there is no IP Address assigned to the interface, open a terminal and type:

Code: Select all

sudo dhclient eth0

This should force the machine to request an IP Address from the DHCP server.

Short of this working then I don't know what to suggest!

I'm liking this new version. As i actually have sound now. Last time i tried(in version 7 i think) i had trouble getting it to work properly/at all with my x-fi.

Why does Chrome looks so horrible on Linux? For example, the font of the bookmarks from the bookmarks bar (not Other bookmarks) is HUGE. In Windows, all of them fit on that bar, but in Mint only a part of them fit. I've checked the font settings in Chrome, it's not different from Windows, except for some font that I installed on Linux too. I also modified the fonts from the Appearance options, still nothing. It's annoying...

Also the tray icons. Some of them are small, like in Win, but others are huge, like the network icon, pidgin, update manager, etc....

Why does Chrome looks so horrible on Linux? For example, the font of the bookmarks from the bookmarks bar (not Other bookmarks) is HUGE. In Windows, all of them fit on that bar, but in Mint only a part of them fit. I've checked the font settings in Chrome, it's not different from Windows, except for some font that I installed on Linux too. I also modified the fonts from the Appearance options, still nothing. It's annoying...

Also the tray icons. Some of them are small, like in Win, but others are huge, like the network icon, pidgin, update manager, etc....

Its the same with firefox in linux vs windows, I suspect you are using gnome which just has huge padding for everything compared to windows.

Sooo... tens of different logs files, with cryptic names and some of them aren't even logs, is better then a event viewer, that chronologically gives you the errors. and also helps you look up any possible solutions and/or connected modules and stuff.

I'm sorry, but those log files aren't even remotely as useful and convenient as the event viewer, moreover, there wasn't any logs that seemed remotely related to network.

Its the same with firefox in linux vs windows, I suspect you are using gnome which just has huge padding for everything compared to windows.

Yeap. Would like to have Mint 9 with KDE, but it's not out yet. :) KDE seems to look much better than Gnome.

You can add KDE yourself ... now. Tested it earlier today. Looked decent, bit not a fan of the default startmenu (the classic isn't all that great either). I don't know if Mint have a different menu for the KDE release.

You can add KDE yourself ... now.

Yes, I know that, but I would rather wait for the distro with KDE as default session and not try to do this myself. Don't need headaches right now. laugh.gif