Ballmer : our biggest gamble is the 'next version of Windows'

Microsoft chief Steve Ballmer during this week's Gartner Symposium raised curiosity by claiming that Windows 8 would be a major gamble for the company (video below). When asked by analyst John Pescatore what the next "riskiest product bet" would be, the executive answered simply that it would be the "next release of Windows." It's unclear if he was referring to the importance of having a successful core product or if the OS itself would be a radical break.

The design so far is known to mostly be a refinement of the OS to provide a more Apple-like seamless experience, such as fast startup, an automatic logout when the system hibernates, and even a system restore triggered by a hardware button. Cameras should help with logging in, and ambient light sensor support would auto-tune brightness and other settings much as MacBooks and iOS devices do today.

Many of the changes are likely to revolve around touch. The company has tried to push Windows 7 tablets as iPad rivals by the end of the year but has had little success as devices have either been delayed to 2011 for Intel's Oak Trail or have been relegated to enterprise after determining that they weren't appropriate for the home. Windows 7 supports multi-touch, but many of its on-screen elements aren't optimized for finger input or the lack of a hardware keyboard. Its sequel may be the first conspicuous redesign of the OS to accommodate more than mouse and pen input through the entire OS.

Ballmer also hinted, however, that the company may eventually adapt the more intuitive "There are technical details I?m not getting into today," he said. "We get multiple experiences."

Source : Electronista + Engadget

I saw that, I liked how he took control more or less. His comment about win8 makes sense at this point since it's still the big cash cow, they could also be trying something big for it that we don't know about.

I thought he handled it well. Made me laugh a few times. As for Windows 8 -- I can't wait til stuff starts leaking out about it. I'm excited to see what MS has to offer now that they've done some great ground work with Windows 7 / WP7 / Office / IE9 / Xbox 360.

Don't think there was much weight behind that comment but I'm sure they will try new things. Windows is the cash cow so always a risk.

He is also quite likeable in that video, for a salesman which is even more surprising.

Don't think there was much weight behind that comment but I'm sure they will try new things. Windows is the cash cow so always a risk.

He is also quite likeable in that video, for a salesman which is even more surprising.

I think what he meant was that Windows 8 will bring about major changes, like Vista did. Possibly even more integration with cloud services as well.

So like Vista, people will just find any excuse to hate on it...and then when Windows 9 comes out, people will fall in love with it all over again =)

Considering they seem hell bent on putting Windows on tablets I could see touch capabilities having a bigger say on the whole design of the OS so it actually works a lot better. App store integration could be a big feature as well. I would like to see gaming getting better support with more OS features.

Considering they seem hell bent on putting Windows on tablets I could see touch capabilities having a bigger say on the whole design of the OS so it actually works a lot better. App store integration could be a big feature as well. I would like to see gaming getting better support with more OS features.

One has to differentiate between tablet and slate. Right now Windows 7 is more than adequate for slates (slate using pen input rather than touch input), it is the tablets (that use touch based keyboard instead of using a stylus) that are going to be the problematic one that they need to resolve to which I wonder whether they'll just say "scrap it" and take the same WP7 core and build an interface that is more in keeping with what a tablet user requires. What ever the case maybe Microsoft is about providing the raw ingredients but it is up to the OEM's to turn those raw ingredients into a finished product - many OEM's unfortunately let down Microsoft due to their insistence of loading crapware onto their machines, poorly configuring and zealously embracing technologies that are out of place and ergonomically stupid.

Another Windows Longhorn debacle in the making! Let me get some popcorn and beers for this...

I honestly have no idea why I would want my desktop operating system to be littered with big interface elements that serve no purpose when I'm using keyboard and trackpad. I'm not going to raise and stretch my arms to touch something on a screen standing vertical in front of me. It just isn't very convenient. I think Microsoft should split Windows in two, very much like Mac OS X and iOS. One interface that makes sense for mouse / keyboard input, one for touch input. Not try to mash the two together (ala Windows 7) so you end up with an interface that ends up not being fully optimized for either one.

Another Windows Longhorn debacle in the making! Let me get some popcorn and beers for this...

Umm wat? And then be seated for like next 2 - 2.5 years and watch the drama unfold!! lol :D

The biggest problem for Windows 8 is that 7 has been so well received. It's gonna be hard to convince people to upgrade unless they do something radical, and MS can't do radical.

I guess with Windows 8, focus would be on the problems Windows 7 is presenting today - like a good tablet experience (making it more finger friendly) and much much faster and seamless boot up times (although Windows 7 has improved tons with respect to that!)...

Also, they would be very keenly looking forward to the Window Phone 7's stand in the market (its effectiveness - shortcomings - etc etc) in the next year or so - Since Metro UI is what Microsoft invested in a lot over the last 2-3 years (the development time of WP 7) - And they would be / must be / are - keen to use the Metro UI for Windows 8 (obviously in a much more seamless and effective manner) ...... unless of course they have entirely something else in mind!

Umm wat? And then be seated for like next 2 - 2.5 years and watch the drama unfold!! lol :D

Well obviously I have to go to the bathroom now and again, wash myself up etc. :laugh:

I agree with this assessment of his interview (Y) :yes:

Which is puzzling to me considering most Americans buy all their clothes like ten sizes too big. Seeing a group of US tourists going through Amsterdam is usually like watching a herd of tents with legs move by. :rofl:

I guess with Windows 8, focus would be on the problems Windows 7 is presenting today - like a good tablet experience (making it more finger friendly) and much much faster and seamless boot up times (although Windows 7 has improved tons with respect to that!)...

Also, they would be very keenly looking forward to the Window Phone 7's stand in the market (its effectiveness - shortcomings - etc etc) in the next year or so - Since Metro UI is what Microsoft invested in a lot over the last 2-3 years (the development time of WP 7) - And they would be / must be / are - keen to use the Metro UI for Windows 8 (obviously in a much more seamless and effective manner) ...... unless of course they have entirely something else in mind!

and throw aero out the windows after they spent so much energy developing it ! 5 years+ !

that is too drastic ,i bet it will evolutionary step over Win7 instead

Microsoft would be insane to give up on Aero. They need to stick with it, listen to user feedback and refine it. Just like Apple did the past 9 years with Mac OS X' Aqua.

The biggest problem for Windows 8 is that 7 has been so well received. It's gonna be hard to convince people to upgrade unless they do something radical, and MS can't do radical.

No, the biggest problem is LOTS of people are still on XP. When they should be on 7 already, I bet you that when 8 is RTM'd. There will still be a majority still on XP.

I think you hit the nail on the head.

I think he needs longer trousers.

Nice Observation actually! hehe

I agree with this assessment of his interview (Y) :yes:

He's a big guy with big thighs/knees, so they ride up when he sits down. They will hang perfect when he stands up. :rolleyes:

No, the biggest problem is LOTS of people are still on XP. When they should be on 7 already, I bet you that when 8 is RTM'd. There will still be a majority still on XP.

nah

win XP is now ~52%

win 7 23%

i bet in the next two years it will grow at least 20% (which is more like 25-35% increase), at who is expense ? get that! :)

Can't wait until the Windows 8 fanboys pile on, and tell us how outdated Windows 7 is ... :rolleyes:

the problem? :p

count me in !

I hope Windows 8 will be based in singularity.

here goes the compatibility