Ballmer : our biggest gamble is the 'next version of Windows'

I don't know about 2020, but I'll keep using them as long as they work. Why wouldn't I? Why would I spend lots of money on a new system or car or house or wife when what I've already got works just fine? Waste of money. If you think it's so important, you should give me the money.

Here, here !

So glad others can think for themselves.

'New' isn't always better or desirable. ;)

Pretty non-news really. Their biggest gamble now is WP7. Their biggest gamble next up is their forthcoming flagship product.

Obviously. Since if Windows 8 would fail, it would put them in the XP situation all over again.

It'd be pretty hard for win8 to fail since it's built on win7. The key is to add enough new features or a handful at least that will draw people to upgrade.

Guys whats up with "Intel's Oak Trail" ? Aren't there any chips currently, which could run a Windows slate well as Apple's iPad A4 chip?

Windows is very resource hungry and only runs on the x86 platform, and there's no room for deviating from the PC architecture. The Windows tablets are really full-blown PCs, just without a keyboard. It's not a lightweight OS for custom ARM platforms, that would be Windows CE. Microsoft is just hoping people will create smaller and less power-hungry systems that are 100% compatible with the PC architecture.

One has to differentiate between tablet and slate. Right now Windows 7 is more than adequate for slates (slate using pen input rather than touch input), it is the tablets (that use touch based keyboard instead of using a stylus) that are going to be the problematic one that they need to resolve to which I wonder whether they'll just say "scrap it" and take the same WP7 core and build an interface that is more in keeping with what a tablet user requires. What ever the case maybe Microsoft is about providing the raw ingredients but it is up to the OEM's to turn those raw ingredients into a finished product - many OEM's unfortunately let down Microsoft due to their insistence of loading crapware onto their machines, poorly configuring and zealously embracing technologies that are out of place and ergonomically stupid.

You got it reverse.

tablets, by definition have a tablet/digitizer built in, hence why they're called tablets. the iPad is a slate form factor. and slates are the no pen touch only stuff. though we're getting some hybrid non-convertable tablets now too.

It'd be pretty hard for win8 to fail since it's built on win7. The key is to add enough new features or a handful at least that will draw people to upgrade.

Yeah, that's the trick, though. What features do you add to convince people to upgrade.