Neowin Digital Gallery

Yeah the 2nd one is better. From my experience (i'm no pro), I think what makes a great/interesting photo is an interesting subject! And also some good photography skills. I can sit here at my desk and take as many photos as I want of my coffee mug using good composition, proper exposure, aperture, etc. but at the end of the day it's still a boring old coffee mug. So get out there and just take a ton of photos of interesting stuff! It does also help to do a bit of reading/learning too. Enjoy the new camera.

Definitely true^ however... I actually have the most fun trying to make an interesting and cool photo out of something as ordinary as a coffee mug... Mind you, those photos usually don't turn out the way I plan, but when they do it's a great feeling... It's all about looking at things in a different way... But an interesting subject makes taking a good photo all the more easy!

5167294397_2178c6a2ff.jpg

yeah....I have a lot to learn...Well this is my first SLR

How about this?

post-169609-12895157306355.jpg

try not to upload it at such a large resolution, it makes it difficult to view properly... was this taken in automode or were you tinkering with the aperture?...

It looks a little grainy, idk what everyone else thinks... I personally think it should be more sharp/clear... maybe try lowering your ISO with outdoor shots as it is bright enough out (assuming this was outdoor, judging by the subject I am guessing it was)

Actually I think that the focus was just a tiny bit too close... it looks like your focused directly on the edge of the branch, maybe try focusing directly on the first bud (that I assume is the subject of this photo) that will make it a little more sharp, while unsharpening the edge of the branch just a tad.... sometimes (depending on the quality of the auto-focus system) when you are doing a super close up like that you need to be very precise and manual mode is the best solution (just to adjust the focus a tiny bit)

Edit: actually looking at it a second time, it looks like your focus is fine... idk what it is about the picture, it just looks... unclean... nothing that is your fault, I just think the ISO is too high? I'm not nearly as experienced as the other users on this forum, I am sure they know why

^ Yes, there is definitely Chroma and Luminance noise in that image, the Canon Rebel XS gets noisy at ISO 800 and higher if I recall correctly. Some noise reduction could help (though don't abuse it because it takes a heavy toll on the sharpness).

And so a solution to that would be to just lower your ISO (light sensitivity). Which will automatically decrease your shutter speed (assuming you are in aperture priority) which is fine since you are outdoors; there is enough light that you can afford to take the shot at ISO 320 or whatever since your shutter speed will still be fast enough to avoid unsharpness due to hand movement, especially because it appears you are using a large aperture (low f-value) - which you probably know by now results in a limited depth of field

I think my iso was set to 800. So for close-up pictures i should use lower ISO?

Well not necessarily close up photos exclusively, but generally when you can afford to use a low ISO DO SO. For example, let's say it's a bright day out and I am taking a photo at 1/2000th of a second, at aperture 7.1 and ISO 800... and I am taking a photo of an unmoving tree... If the tree is unmoving, why would I require taking the picture at 1/2000th of a second... I would be better off getting a more clear image at ISO 200, and take the photo at 1/250th of a second and aperture 7.1

If say, it is a little darker out, or if you are so close it is hard to get a lot of light into the image and your camera is choosing a shutter speed of 1/20th of a second with aperture 4.5 at ISO 200, then I would recommend increasing ISO JUST so your shutter speed is fast enough where you can take a photo without moving your hand too much... And that shutter speed depends upon if your subject is moving/staying still, your focal length, and how still you can be... but the sweet spot is different for everyone and in different situations, your best bet is to just keep taking more photos and you'll develop your own

So basically: Use the lowest ISO you can that still allows you to take a sharp picture (without motion blur because of a shutter speed that's too long) at you desired aperture.

So basically: Use the lowest ISO you can that still allows you to take a sharp picture (without motion blur because of a shutter speed that's too long) at you desired aperture.

Damn you. haha :)

ISO has nothing to do with how close you are to something, it's how sensitive your sensor is to light. So the less light there is you might need to bump up your ISO to make it more sensitive allowing for 'correct' exposure. An alternative to raising your ISO as I'm sure you know is either to shoot with a wider aperture (lower F value) or a slower shutter speed, both of these will allow more light to hit the sensor.

*Edit* Whoops, that was to Quick shot on the previous page.