Photo

Rift MMO

• Please log in to reply
380 replies to this topic

#46 Tharp Daddy

Tharp Daddy

Indeed!

Posted 11 January 2011 - 19:51

I've been really enjoying the multi class system but aside from that there isn't very much that is new.

Like i said above, they are not attempting to offer a totally new MMO experience; they are trying to create a polished, and well working alternative. In the same that if someone is bored of Call of Duty they can try Battlefield, or vice versa. If people are bored with WoW, but want a equally polished, and content-full experience they can try Rift. Rift is trying to be the Battlefield to the WoW CoD, and from what i'm seeing they are succeeding. I'm tired of WoW, but i like the gameplay and polish so i will most likely play Rift, as it's much like WoW but it's changed up enough that it will feel fresh. I applaud the developer for offering a polished and complete experience that will compete with WoW on the front of having a content-rich, polished, and well developed experience; rather than trying to redefine the genre and fail (FFXIV).

#47 Emn1ty

Emn1ty

Web Programmer

• Phone: Driod Razr

Posted 12 January 2011 - 20:04

The main reason I enjoy Rift is that it satisfies my need for customization. WoW and many other MMO's don't do that. Be it in the character appearance or the abilities a game must allow me to create the kind of character I want to create and Rift does that very well with the current tree system. Even if the visual representation of the character is minimally customizable that tree alone makes the game worth playing.

#48 Tharp Daddy

Tharp Daddy

Indeed!

Posted 12 January 2011 - 20:19

The main reason I enjoy Rift is that it satisfies my need for customization. WoW and many other MMO's don't do that. Be it in the character appearance or the abilities a game must allow me to create the kind of character I want to create and Rift does that very well with the current tree system. Even if the visual representation of the character is minimally customizable that tree alone makes the game worth playing.

I agree, i can't wait to see how group composition will work. With them planning on giving very little addon support we will see very few addons like "Deadly boss mods", people will need to know their class and the battles. The fact that there is so much possibility might be very awesome in raids. Instead of needing a dedicated healer, you could bring a mage who can do fine damage, but heal those around him for some of the damage he does. Or instead of needing 3 healers you might only need 1 + a bard who could buff and off-heal, thus eliminating some of the damage and being able to fix up any that might get through.

#49 Emn1ty

Emn1ty

Web Programmer

Posted 12 January 2011 - 20:28

It also allows for off-builds where your fighting a bard who is buffing his friends and debuffing enemies and when you get close he suddenly vanishes only to assassinate you from behind. The creativity available in the builds is huge and the only thing I wish we could do is mix the base classes as well. Still, this is more than I expected and I almost feel it operates better than Guild War's system.

#50 Tharp Daddy

Tharp Daddy

Indeed!

Posted 12 January 2011 - 20:31

It also allows for off-builds where your fighting a bard who is buffing his friends and debuffing enemies and when you get close he suddenly vanishes only to assassinate you from behind. The creativity available in the builds is huge and the only thing I wish we could do is mix the base classes as well. Still, this is more than I expected and I almost feel it operates better than Guild War's system.

Yup, i think it will add a great twist to PvP. You can see their armor type (what base class they are), but what souls they have will be a mystery until you engage them. You will have to adapt on the fly because a warrior may only show one of his souls, and still have 2 waiting to surprise you.

#51 vetgigapixels

gigapixels

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 January 2011 - 20:34

I'd like to think so too, but it won't work that way. There will be the best DPS/tanking/healing builds, and that's what people will choose or be forced to use to get groups. It's how all MMOs turn out. The only difference here is you may be able to choose which buffs you want to bring to the group. Otherwise, everybody will be using cookie-cutter builds.

#52 Tharp Daddy

Tharp Daddy

Indeed!

Posted 12 January 2011 - 20:36

I'd like to think so too, but it won't work that way. There will be the best DPS/tanking/healing builds, and that's what people will choose or be forced to use to get groups. It's how all MMOs turn out. The only difference here is you may be able to choose which buffs you want to bring to the group. Otherwise, everybody will be using cookie-cutter builds.

With all the combinations i don't think you will get many cookie-cutter builds. There many be "preferred builds" like in Guild Wars, but unlike the WoW talent trees it seems like very few things are "get this, or gtfo". It will be up to the guild/raid to decide if your playstyle/build will work well with the group, but i don't think it will devolve into a tank/healer/dps ordeal. In Guild Wars i ran a PvP melee R/W build that was totally custom, and it kicked butt! It also worked very well in PvE, and did what it needed to do. As long as you can succeed in your required job (buffs, helping with heals/off heals, etc) i don't see any reason you will be forced into an archetype.

#53 vetgigapixels

gigapixels

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 January 2011 - 20:39

Maybe I'm just a cynic, but I'm pretty sure it's what's going to happen.

Rift is very cool though. I'm still deciding whether I want to buy it or not, but I'm leaning toward it.

#54 Tharp Daddy

Tharp Daddy

Indeed!

Posted 12 January 2011 - 20:42

Maybe I'm just a cynic, but I'm pretty sure it's what's going to happen.

Rift is very cool though. I'm still deciding whether I want to buy it or not, but I'm leaning toward it.

I agree, there will no doubt be some cookie cutter builds, but it's up to the individual to decide if they want to have fun and play with their own build, and a guild that will allow it; or play with a group of people who will require you to min/max and conform exactly to the roll.

#55 Emn1ty

Emn1ty

Web Programmer

Posted 12 January 2011 - 20:44

For example I'm specing my Bladedancer for high attack rate, damage, stealth and crit. The only reason I even grabbed a class was to max out crit rates/stealth (assassin). The other class (rift stalker) was for defense and damage while the class of Bladedancer itself buffs my dodge percentage and attack speed/combos. You can see already that if instead of choosing, say Assassin I could have chose something like Nightblade which mixes in magic for improved DPS.

#56 treemonster

treemonster

lol wut?

Posted 12 January 2011 - 23:45

there will definitely be cookie cutter builds, mark my words. wether or not the mathletes manage to make builds as strong as the tk bounty hunter pistoleer was in swg pre cu remains to be seen.

#57 Tharp Daddy

Tharp Daddy

Indeed!

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:05

Found a good podcast on the game, it's great to hear a interview from one of the big guys at Trion Games, they really sound passionate about the game.

#58 Volatile

Volatile

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 January 2011 - 13:54

I got a Beta which turned me off when I found out it was nearly a 2Gig download with only 2 days to go in my 3 day trial.

I used to play Aion, which even though the curve was fixed on grinding, it was still bad. Aion was a very pretty game though.
I wish an MMO can come out that eliminates the grind.. may peak my interest again.

#59 ylcard

ylcard

Déu

Posted 13 January 2011 - 15:20

I had to download 5.xx GB because I missed the 3 other Beta's I've been invited to.. I downloaded the first one, but I couldn't login and the event was the weekend.. so.. no play time.

#60 Tharp Daddy

Tharp Daddy

Indeed!

Posted 16 January 2011 - 23:42

Found a good guild to join for the game, seems right down my alley. If any Neowinians are picking up this game, and interesting in joining a guild, here's the description.

Havn't seen many guilds that catch my fancy so I started one up myself. Technically UC has been around for some years, but it was a name I used for an xbox live based clan/club. So pretty much just think of this as a brand new guild, formed just for Rift.

Guild Focus:
UC will primarily be a PvE raiding guild focusing on progression, but there will likely be a few PvP folks for the Warfronts. I know I plan doing some, but it won't be forced and we'll be on a PvE server. Raiding also will not be a requirement. I'd say I run a casual guild for the most part, but I have no problem laying down the law if I have to. I'm a big meanie sometimes, ask around. Most likely will stick with smaller numbers. Shooting for around 40-50 members and then recruitment will slow down so we all get to know each other a little better.

Requirements:
Age 18+
Willing to learn and play well with others
Able to take, as well as give constructive criticism. Don't be rude to your fellow guildies (nor other gamers for that matter).
We will be using Ventrilo

Raiding Info:
This is where most current guilds don't do what I'm looking for. A lot are doing a 3 or 4 (or more) nights a week kinda thing, but I'd rather do a 2 night and 1 Saturday afternoon type schedule. I'm hoping this will resolve some issues I've seen in the past.

Wednesday & Thursday will be evening raids, and run from 8:00pm EST to 10:00pm EST
Saturday will be an afternoon raid, run from 2pm EST to 5pm EST

Loot will be handle with a DKP system but I won't go into the full details here. Feel free to check the forums for the current writeup which was originally done for EQ2. Imagine it'll be roughly the same, cept for the money.

That about wraps it up I guess. I'm pretty terrible at making these recruiting threads, but I have the United Chaos forums up & running. Feel free to PM or post here for questions about me or the guild. Thanks.

Here's the sign up forums

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!