Windows 8 Milestone 2 compiled

According to Canouna, one of the important source for Windows 8 builds have stated that build 79XX was a part of Milestone 2 and build 78XX was a part of Windows 8 Milestone 1. Here is what he posted on Russian site winreview.ru -

Windows 7 Post-RTM: 6.1.77xx.0.winmain.xxxxxx-xxxx

Windows 8 Milestone 1: ?6.2.78xx.0.winmain_win8m1.xxxxxx-xxxx

Windows 8 Milestone 2: 6.2.79xx.0.winmain_win8m2.xxxxxx-xxxx

We have already posted a couple of builds in 79XX series-

6.2.7901.0.101210-1755

6.2.7902.0.101213-1745

6.2.7903.0.101215-2325

6.2.7904.0.101216-1845

and also information about one build in 78XX series is available- 6.2.7891.X.XXXXXX-XXXX

The last build whose info was available was Build 7904 which was compiled on 16th December 2010. It would be interesting to note when the Microsoft comes out during CES 2011.

source

Cool thanks for the info, i cant wait to try out the betas

Same, I'm hoping for a similar open beta program to Windows 7.

I'm eager to give Windows 8 a test run in the future. wink.gif

Alpha or early milestone builds like these don't show anything different UI wise and they could even be unstable depending on the code changes they might have. It'd be good to give it a go on a spare system or a VM but I wouldn't bother with it on a main work system till at least beta 1.

funny how win 8 is really windows version 6.2

Actually Windows 8 is Windows 8 if that's what Microsoft names it which is what they are currently doing.

I might be wrong but that version number is to do the kernel that Windows 8 will use.

awww ok thanks for clearing that up about the windows 8 thing. it was bothering me. really.

MS kept the version number as 6.x for Win7 instead of making it 7.0 for compatibility reasons since apps and mostly hardware drivers check the OS version before they install. This way there's no breaking of things for really no reason since drivers and apps that run on Windows Vista (6.0) will run just fine under Windows 7 and probably even windows 8 as well.

MS kept the version number as 6.x for Win7 instead of making it 7.0 for compatibility reasons since apps and mostly hardware drivers check the OS version before they install. This way there's no breaking of things for really no reason since drivers and apps that run on Windows Vista (6.0) will run just fine under Windows 7 and probably even windows 8 as well.

That's interesting because Windows 8 is mean't to be a major release while Windows 7 wasn't. It's too early to say that they won't bump up the version numbering because they could.

The latest rumors that I can find have a build being leaked this month, but we'll wait and see :shiftyninja:

Mind if I ask where your rumor comes from?

Mind if I ask where your rumor comes from?

This forum, which will be the best spot for leak news. It isn't anything set in stone yet, but it is the latest talk. Also, the Canouna from that forum is the same one with the news of M2

funny how win 8 is really windows version 6.2

So technically build onto Windows 7 and now a supernew kernel-build (I guess at least...)

Edit:

I might be wrong here...

That's interesting because Windows 8 is mean't to be a major release while Windows 7 wasn't. It's too early to say that they won't bump up the version numbering because they could.

I doubt current builds have any new ui yet...so waiting for builds with ui changes.

You're right. Usually the milestone and pre-beta UI will be largely unchanged. Expect any UI changes to be implemented closer to the public beta than a first leak.

Didn't realise SBS 2011 builds were now being considered as M2 Windows 8 builds. No-one has provided any solid proof of these so called builds at all and yet people are willing to believe some russian forums and unknown forums :/

• Like 3

Didn't realise SBS 2011 builds were now being considered as M2 Windows 8 builds. No-one has provided any solid proof of these so called builds at all and yet people are willing to believe some russian forums and unknown forums :/

Tom - Its the internet lol, all of this news could have come from a talking parrot but as long as its in "Print" then its considered journalism.

Then again, SBS 2011 is 7900, the latest leak is 7904. SBS 2011 is not 7904. It seems both were being developed in tandem.