Photo

Just bought my wife an HTC Desire - Any must-haves?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 Subject Delta

Subject Delta

Father...it's me, Eleanor

Posted 17 February 2011 - 11:06

Usually, doing a full wipe and flashing a stock RUU should remove all remnants of rooting.

#17 Singh400

Singh400

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 February 2011 - 11:10

I've returned a few handsets that were rooted, and no one noticed ;)

Best thing to do, after you root it, is to do a nandroid backup straight away. So if your carrier has a custom bootscreen then even that is retained. Works a treat for me ;)

And for the record you can completely unroot as well (couple of guides on XDA).

#18 Teebor

Teebor

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 February 2011 - 11:32

Spaghetti Marshmallows and Tank Hero are great games on android

Also Arcade by Kongregate, but the game selection is currently not very good, might be better in the future.

Wifi analyser is also handy

#19 LiquidSolstice

LiquidSolstice

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 February 2011 - 02:26

Be advised that rooting your device will invalidate your warranty

And unlike an iPhone where you can factory restore and noone is really any wiser, "we" can tell.

I've lost count how many devices are charged for warranty repairs because of remnants of rooting

As long as you don't S-OFF your device, all you need to do is flash back using the original stock carrier RUU.

#20 Subject Delta

Subject Delta

Father...it's me, Eleanor

Posted 19 February 2011 - 02:29

As long as you don't S-OFF your device, all you need to do is flash back using the original stock carrier RUU.

If you flash a stock RUU, the bootloader is usually flashed as well, so even if you do flash an S-OFF bootloader, it should be overwritten

#21 LiquidSolstice

LiquidSolstice

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 February 2011 - 02:56

If you flash a stock RUU, the bootloader is usually flashed as well, so even if you do flash an S-OFF bootloader, it should be overwritten

From my understanding, that's not true;

This is completely permanent. It is below the radio level, so even if you RUU, it will still be s-off. Basically you will never have to "root" your phone again. You just flash something from the bootloader and it will work (for example, you RUU, then go into the bootloader and flash a recovery right away)

CDMA Hero - Xda Dev Forum - S-OFF Thread

#22 Singh400

Singh400

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 February 2011 - 15:12

Oh, I forget. The best browser has to be Miren, hands down. Yes better than Dolphin. Miren is a great mobile browser, check it out.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!