Opera: WebGL and Hardware Acceleration experimental build

A long time ago, in an office far far away...Opera released a custom build showing an implementation of a 3D canvas context. Now, more than 3 years later, we are releasing the first public build with a standards-based 3D canvas implementation using WebGL for Windows.

In June 2008 ? around the same time as our first 3D canvas experiments ? we showed a video preview of our fully hardware-accelerated renderer. One of the requirements we had for enabling that code was that the software fallback ? used when hardware acceleration is not available ? should be at least as fast as what we were using in our desktop product at the time. To achieve that, we spent a lot of time and resources on optimizing our software renderer, which has been used in Opera's desktop browser since version 10.50 and has proven to be one of the fastest renderers around. Following the release of 10.50, we once again focused on our hardware renderer.

The results of this work have been rolled into this preview as well, meaning that this build also has full hardware acceleration enabled (on systems with compatible hardware and drivers).

Our hardware acceleration is a bit different from what other browsers are doing. Like IE9 and Firefox 4, we do full hardware acceleration of all draw operations - but unlike those browsers, who only offer this acceleration on Windows Vista and Windows 7, our implementation will run on any OS with sufficient hardware support. This means we can have full hardware acceleration on Windows XP, Linux, Mac OS X and OpenGL ES 2 capable devices such as recent smart-phones and web-enabled TVs.

Read more here: http://my.opera.com/core/blog/2011/02/28/webgl-and-hardware-acceleration-2

Some notes:

- Windows only for now.

- Most likely will appear in 11.50, not 11.10.

- OpenGL for now; Direct3D will come later.

- If your PC has an integrated Intel chip, it won't work. This chip (Intel HD Graphics for Arrandale chips) supposedly has OpenGL 2.1 support, but for some reason it fell back to the software renderer. I had to switch to my dedicated Nvidia GPU to get the hardware renderer to work.

- Also, if your laptop has Optimus, go into the Nvidia CP and force off Vsync for opera.exe. Otherwise, you might notice choppy scrolling performance.

And this:

Opera%20HA.png

Performance does not seem all that impressive at this moment in time, the old browser with the software render seems faster (apart from the obvious speed advantage in canvas)

Performance does not seem all that impressive at this moment in time, the old browser with the software render seems faster (apart from the obvious speed advantage in canvas)

Well, it is an alpha build. Firefox and Chrome's early implementations weren't very good either. It seems quite stable at least. And it will probably be faster on windows when they implement the directx backend as opengl drivers on windows generally aren't too great.

Performance is pretty decent, being the first public snapshot. For instance, for IE's Speed Reading test, IE9 RC and this build are pretty much neck-to-neck, with IE at 9 seconds and Opera at 8. I forced both to run on my dedicated GPU. I tried turning on GPU Accelerated Compositing and GPU Accelerated Canvas 2D in the latest Chrome dev build, and it came in at 50 seconds.