Why is CCleaner considered crap?

Can you give specifics on how CCleaner was the cause of several computers breaking down. This seems a bit ridiculous.

Well seeing as fixing computers is part of my job. They ran CCleaner, the computer stops working, they bring it to me, I fix it up. and CCleaner isn't alone among regcleaners, UniBlue is worse, but not because the registry cleaner is worse, but because UniBlue advertises their crap on all the big internet news sites over here, so everyone installs and runs the crap thinking it'll do what they promise and make their computer 3 times as fast... a lot less people know about CCleaner, usually people who know tech people and had them install it and tell them to run it every now and then, or tech people who think they know what they're doing.

Either way, whatever reg cleaner they run, or however they run it, the end results is that I make money :)

People bring broken computers to our store too, and they didn't need CCleaner to do it ;]

How do you know it wasn't something else, and CCleaner is irrelevant?

I'll admit I have used things like CCleaner in the past but since I've moved to Windows 7 I haven't felt the need to try them. Windows 7 runs superbly on it's own.

doubt the ccleaner has ever messed up a machine unless the person messed it up before hand....

for example... installed netframework or service pack, THEN did ccleaner, THEN rebooted... thats user stupidity, not the programs fault.

running ccleaner as intended will NEVER hurt your machine....

I can say that since i have run it on over 500+ machines in the last couple years and NOT ONE SINGLE one has ever had adverse effects from it.

You know, registry cleaners would have worked if all the machine are still slow like back in the day. Now the comps are so fast that reg cleaners won't help at all. On SSD, you can't even tell because the seek time almost non-existent.

You know, instead of running to Piriform with a torch and badmouthing their registry cleaner, why don't we try to remember the registry is BACKED UP before removing anything?

Seems like more and more people push backups in our face but hardly anyone actually does it.