Hosting for Online Store

Question

I'm in the UK and looking to create an online store. I'll most likely be using a free CMS system and will be looking to list around 4000 products.

Can anyone recommend a hosting provider that would be suitable? Obiviously I want something that will be able to handle the content and traffic - which won't be much to begin with, but hopefully will become a steady stream.

I think a UK based host would be best. :)

Thanks

8 answers to this question

Depends on your budget really... how much are you willing to spend?

The more you spend, the more (generally) reliable and supportive your host will be. In your case, good support will be VERY important considering that you're running an online shop and you'll need someone on-hand to quickly in the event that something goes wrong! ;)

Depends on your budget really... how much are you willing to spend?

The more you spend, the more (generally) reliable and supportive your host will be. In your case, good support will be VERY important considering that you're running an online shop and you'll need someone on-hand to quickly in the event that something goes wrong! ;)

I would say not very high to begin with. ?10/15 a month to start with? Do you have anyone in mind?

I'm looking at Magento as the e-commerce solution, dunno what everyone thinks on that matter...

Do you care about the location of your servers? UK/US?

Not really, I mean UK makes more sense because I'm living there. But if the support/uptime is just as good from a US provider then I don't see why not.

Media Temple (US) is a popular one, in my last job all our websites were hosted with these guys on a semi-dedicated. Never had issues. - http://mediatemple.net

Fasthosts (UK) generally a good all rounder with a focus on value for money, which is achieved as they use their own proprietary backend systems for you to use not a commercial control panel such as CPanel or Plesk - http://www.fasthosts.co.uk/hosting/

1&1 (UK) - Brilliant value, but they will sneak charges into your account using dodgy terms and conditions and any support from them is pretty much ignored unless you phone them up which is the last resort - 1and1.co.uk

There are many more out there, however these are the heavyweights that will generally give you better value for money. Good luck! :D

I use www.innohosting.com. They have servers in US and UK. I haven't tried their UK servers, but I've never once had a problem with my websites on their US servers. Great customer support too!

I wouldnt advise on using fasthosts. I know a company who hosted with them. Their shared server got hacked with all of the sites going down.

Fasthosts took weeks to even respond about it and didnt even both to offer a backup for restoration of the site.

Try these:

http://www.thesimplehost.net/index.html