Are all Kettle Cords the same?

Hey,

I don't know a real lot about power and I get especially confused about kettle cords.

Are they all the same and, if not, is there any risk in mixing kettle cords? For example, taking one that came with a computer and using it for my Xbox, or taking one from an actual kettle and using it for my computer, or vice versa, etc. And even if there is any risk, what's the general consensus on mixing, do people do it anyway?

Thanks guys.

Kettle cord = power cable?

No, you won't have any problems. Sometimes they're rated in different AWG values, but for stuff like your computer, etc, it doesn't matter at all.

Unless of course it's a different cord and it does matter.

So long as it's the same as your computer cable, you'll be fine, if it has other fittings, then you need to look at outputs and voltage and all that jazz.

You should check the fuse. Your kettle will require a 13amp fuse, whereas other appliances will need only 7amps, or even 3. So if you use your xbox kettle lead in your kettle, you'll probably find the fuse blows.

it is also unsafe to use a fuse with a rating higher than that of the applicance, because if something goes wrong the fuse won't blow.

Basically, that lead will work in any device, but you will need to change the fuse accordingly.

Here's a basic guide for what amp you should use (power info can be found on the device).

0-700W = 3A

700W-1000W = 5A

1000W-3000W = 13A

If you're using a device with a powerpack/transformer, such as a laptop or Xbox, then you have to go off what the powerpack says, not what the device says.

Your average "kettle lead" is an IEC connector. They are all identical except for the fuses, which vary depending on what device the lead is being used for. Most of the time, even brand new devices and leads from shops come with leads with the wrong fuse.

This fuse talk won't apply to the OP as here in Australia we don't have fuses on our power leads like the UK does.

Awesome. Thanks a lot guys.

I was going to say, I've never heard the word fuse used in terms of power cords.

I imagine there will be no issues, I've used pc power cords for my kettle and toaster for years, and I've never had any problems.

Where are you finding these modular power cables? Unless you are literally cutting the power cable and attaching it as a new end.. unless I am completely missing something...

Like I am picturing:

Kettle Cord-----/~Cord Join~/-PC Power Cord----[-Outlet

300.jpg

Basically, he's wondering if he can use them in anything.. (UK lead, notice the red block for the fuse).

kettle-lead.jpeg

And, the Australian version that doesn't have a fuse so will work/is interchangeable.

This fuse talk won't apply to the OP as here in Australia we don't have fuses on our power leads like the UK does.

Ah, good spot! Then yes, that lead will work in other devices :)