Major Problem with a Dell N7110 Laptop .. any ideas guys will be appreciated !! thanks from ukraine!

a week ago laptop worked just fine, until one day i came from work and tried to switched it on and there was no response at all or lights indicating any source of energy..

tried with the battery and the ac adapter, i actually remodified the poor adapter thinking it was it's fault, did the switch on button pressing B shite solution, i tried new ac adapters with the precise charecteristics and everything. but nothing worked, no lights no nothing. after an hour of frustration and cursing, the laptop by it own self switches itself on and continued to an error messege that the Ac adapter wattage and type cannot be determined etc, i pressed F1 button and everything went on like a piece of cake except for the failure to charge the battery. then i switched it off. the next day i come from work the same situation again, no light no response, some time at the evening it switches itself on. i am living this misery for a week now please help i dont know what to do and i have no warranty or a technitions in my city that know more than installing operating system!!!! please help !!!

This is one of the hardest stuff i have gone through through my experience with computers, yet the worst and most frustrating

Sometimes pulling the battery and disconnecting the power supply and then holding down the power button for 10 seconds can fix it.

Did you try removing the battery, only run it on A/C? Could be a problem with the A/C plug. I see it all the time.

well it seems to run but not right away ... for example i removed the battery two hours ago and connected the adapter, it should no response or even light indication that is connected to the ac adapter. lots of pressing involved i used the 10 and the 15 second pressing of the switch on button and nothing happened when the adapter was connected too. and when i got fed up i switched on tv and left the adapter connected without the battery and didnt touch it at all. suddenly it turned on on it's own !!! this is freaky man , it s like a living thing, does things on its own i hate that

Do you know how to solder? You might want to try to re-solder the A/C plug inside your PC. Im guessing you took one apart before?

yeah i did but the screws on this laptop are well scratched and 3 screws couldnt screw off... by the way mindovermaster, do you think the ac plug of the pc is the cause of all this ?? and could that be indicated by vision?? 

You'd have to open the laptop in order to see that.

Usually, you don't have to unscrew the bottom, its all under the keyboard.

Edit: Did you try "jiggling" the A/C adapter? Just putting the A/C in, and move it around? Could have bad connection. I know some people that put duct tape around their plug to keep it snug.

On 6/29/2016 at 4:06 PM, Mindovermaster said:

You'd have to open the laptop in order to see that.

Usually, you don't have to unscrew the bottom, its all under the keyboard.

Edit: Did you try "jiggling" the A/C adapter? Just putting the A/C in, and move it around? Could have bad connection. I know some people that put duct tape around their plug to keep it snug.

This is the best idea that fits the facts.

The power connector is soldered to the motherboard with 4 pins often surface mounted. Over time they make an intermittent connection with the motherboard. Using duct tape runs the risk of a resistive partial connection heating up.  It is very easy to solder the loose connection. But for some reason every laptop requires a complete disassembly of the laptop before you can access the area to be soldered.

Also Dell provides a nice hurdle to diagnosing these issues. They send an encryption signal from the power adapter to the laptop and the laptop will NOT charge the battery without the signal. That is why he got the warning message from the BIOS. Make sure you use an actual Dell power adapter after you fix the connector.

Other things to watch out for is plugged up copper heat sink, new heat sink grease needed, and if the cooling has been flaky for a while, the CPU or GPU sometimes needs to be re-soldered to the motherboard.

power management IC is fried. you can find it on the chinese surplus for a few bucks, but requires skill to solder/replace.  ive seen and done this repair many times, same symptoms.

1st thing I want to know is the specs of the laptop.

If its relatively new/good - then get the OEM parts to replace what is wrong (power board, an OEM adapter, or fix DC jack)

If it is old or an Acer, HP, Toshiba, etc - get rid of it - it was made to be thrown away - get a new machine - if you have the means to do so.

Your time is worth money - at least mine is - so I factor time and frustration on these things - if its still worth it - I'll fix it - if not - it gets tossed and now I have an excuse for a new something. :)