Reference: Starting a new list on React.js Web Programming, any help appreciated

Question

I am starting a new list on Web Programming using React.js at:

https://github.com/10UWP/The-React-List

It will cover React.js OSS tools with a Windows/Neowinian perspective. There will also be an emphasis on Live Page Editing and REPL etc to try and claw back some developer advantage when stuck using web based technologies for some projects. Another focus is to follow core React philosophy to eliminate the evil that is CSS and HTML as much as possible.

However, whatever opinions I bring to the table, I do view these lists as "inclusive" and the value of the list is a quick one-stop place to grab whatever anyone needs from a lot of alternatives so if someone suggests a great tool that completely is the opposite, it will get added for sure.

Right now, it is very incomplete and I'm looking for suggestions to add to it until it ends up like my UWP List:

https://github.com/10UWP/The-UWP-Tools-List

Basically, I want it to be an easy starter reference of tool sets  for the experienced C#/XAML developer to do some clean focused work and avoid the huge Hipster noise level of the Whack-A-Mole Web Design world. On GitHub, finding a good selection of UWP tools is not easy due to the horrible organization of GitHub so my list can really save people some time. For React.js, I think we have the opposite situation of a fire hose of JS-lib-of-the-week and the list will be good for non-web developers who don't live and breath the crazy web Hipster Culture on a daily basis.

I'm also starting a Machine Learning list which is currently empty:

https://github.com/10UWP/The-Cognitive-and-ML-List

Edited by DevTech
added Reference to the title to suggest old thread not get locke

7 answers to this question

4 hours ago, vhane said:

I find that the following work quite well together on the front-end:

• React
  • Redux
  • redux-updeep - enforce immutability, update state with little boilerplate
  • redux-observable - easily compose anything async with RxJS
  • Flow - forget about prop types, we want real types

I will add your suggestions to the list.

https://github.com/10UWP/The-React-List

I'll create a new section for individual projects...

4 hours ago, vhane said:

I find that the following work quite well together on the front-end:

• React
  • Redux
  • redux-updeep - enforce immutability, update state with little boilerplate
  • redux-observable - easily compose anything async with RxJS
  • Flow - forget about prop types, we want real types

OK, I added your projects, but I also added the following note for Flow:

" **Warning** Flow has a serious defect or faulty design that appears to prevent installation on a Windows computer. Very unprofessional in 2016 to not test a project on the O/S used by 95% of the human population. This project was added based on user-feedback to this list but until this defect is repaired, it's simply not usable."

Microsoft owns a percentage of Facebook and normally they interop quite well, but the Mysterious is still alive and well in 2016. Perhaps, Typescript would be the Microsoft suggested way of adding types to JS, although Typescript appears to be far more sophisticated and broad in scope whereas Flow might have a place as a low ceremony tool, if it actually worked!

Thanks for your suggestions.

7 hours ago, DevTech said:

OK, I added your projects, but I also added the following note for Flow:

" **Warning** Flow has a serious defect or faulty design that appears to prevent installation on a Windows computer. Very unprofessional in 2016 to not test a project on the O/S used by 95% of the human population. This project was added based on user-feedback to this list but until this defect is repaired, it's simply not usable."

Microsoft owns a percentage of Facebook and normally they interop quite well, but the Mysterious is still alive and well in 2016. Perhaps, Typescript would be the Microsoft suggested way of adding types to JS, although Typescript appears to be far more sophisticated and broad in scope whereas Flow might have a place as a low ceremony tool, if it actually worked!

Thanks for your suggestions.

I think that your warning would be more useful if it had a summary of the problem with a link to the GitHub issue.

Both Typescript and Flow are good tools. Some of the features that Typescript add to JS morphs the language to be more like C# or Java. Flow simply adds types to JS and doesn't try to do that. In the long run it could be that Flow is better suited to React and Typescript to Angular since React and Flow are both Facebook projects whereas Google have adopted Typescript for Angular.

Another thing to consider is that Typescript currently enjoys better tooling support, IDE integrations.

At the end of the day, JS is better off with type-checking than without :)

2 hours ago, vhane said:

I think that your warning would be more useful if it had a summary of the problem with a link to the GitHub issue.

Both Typescript and Flow are good tools. Some of the features that Typescript add to JS morphs the language to be more like C# or Java. Flow simply adds types to JS and doesn't try to do that. In the long run it could be that Flow is better suited to React and Typescript to Angular since React and Flow are both Facebook projects whereas Google have adopted Typescript for Angular.

Another thing to consider is that Typescript currently enjoys better tooling support, IDE integrations.

At the end of the day, JS is better off with type-checking than without :)

Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions.

If you examine the UWP Tools List which is a work-in-progress that is further along than the React List, you might get some idea of the time involved and that I have a choice to:

• add more material or
  • make the existing material more detailed and accurate or
  • divide my allocation of time for that hobby across a couple of lists

In the case of Flow, I was trying to be low key by using the word "defect" instead of "designed by country bumpkins who took a dependency on a Linux-only library" - Facebook also has a live debugging environment with the same issue. I can rant I all want on internal Facebook Fanboyism that might have been to root cause of a poor decision, but at the end of the day they are open sourcing internal projects that they use, for the benefit of all mankind and my take on it as a Windows Developer with a skeptical eye on the usefulness of web technology and its Hipster Culture is simply to point out to other developers, possible paths through the maze that can possibly approach the beauty and elegance of C# and XAML. Rx.js is one gateway that I consider to be a good approach and can lead one to the door of Facebook and the React/Flux architecture.

There are many other approaches of course but that's a list for someone else to present. I wish I could present a plan to make Flow more universal since it seems like a great idea but for now hacking on the internals of Flow is way beyond the scope of what I am trying to accomplish.

22 hours ago, DevTech said:

Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions.

If you examine the UWP Tools List which is a work-in-progress that is further along than the React List, you might get some idea of the time involved and that I have a choice to:

• add more material or
  • make the existing material more detailed and accurate or
  • divide my allocation of time for that hobby across a couple of lists

In the case of Flow, I was trying to be low key by using the word "defect" instead of "designed by country bumpkins who took a dependency on a Linux-only library" - Facebook also has a live debugging environment with the same issue. I can rant I all want on internal Facebook Fanboyism that might have been to root cause of a poor decision, but at the end of the day they are open sourcing internal projects that they use, for the benefit of all mankind and my take on it as a Windows Developer with a skeptical eye on the usefulness of web technology and its Hipster Culture is simply to point out to other developers, possible paths through the maze that can possibly approach the beauty and elegance of C# and XAML. Rx.js is one gateway that I consider to be a good approach and can lead one to the door of Facebook and the React/Flux architecture.

There are many other approaches of course but that's a list for someone else to present. I wish I could present a plan to make Flow more universal since it seems like a great idea but for now hacking on the internals of Flow is way beyond the scope of what I am trying to accomplish.

Do you have a GitHub link to the issue with Flow? I'm not being argumentative - I really want more information on this (and track progress). The project ostensibly ships a Windows binary. It's possible that Flow via bash on Windows might work too.

1 hour ago, vhane said:

Do you have a GitHub link to the issue with Flow? I'm not being argumentative - I really want more information on this (and track progress). The project ostensibly ships a Windows binary. It's possible that Flow via bash on Windows might work too.

Thanks for directing my attention to this. I only have so much time and normally go with whatever text is on the GitHub page which in the case of Flow reads out (still) as :

https://github.com/facebook/flow

Requirements

Flow works with:

Mac OS X

Linux (64-bit)

There are binary distributions for Mac OS X and many variants of Linux; you can also build it from source on almost any 64-bit Linux variant.

Obviously somebody on the Facebook dev team is a *#$* presumably high enough on their management chain to have influence but reason appears to have prevailed finally although there is no indication if the root cause was addressed.

https://github.com/facebook/flow/issues/6

Issue #6 - opened Nov 14, 2014 and closed Aug 1, 2016 - which produced this blog entry:

https://flowtype.org/blog/2016/08/01/Windows-Support.html

windows.gif

Download at:

https://github.com/facebook/flow/releases

Edited by DevTech
Added download link for Facebook Flow