1070 SLI advice?

I bought a 1070 card a while back and LOVE it. I am playing Doom, WoW, Witcher 3, and a ton more on it. I bought a 4K monitor and while not quite as smooth, it seems to play fairly well. I was in Best Buy today and had another one in my hand to do SLI but put it back. I haven't decided yet. Do you guys think I will see a big enough improvement in 4K gaming to justify the price?

9 minutes ago, patseguin said:

I bought a 1070 card a while back and LOVE it. I am playing Doom, WoW, Witcher 3, and a ton more on it. I bought a 4K monitor and while not quite as smooth, it seems to play fairly well. I was in Best Buy today and had another one in my hand to do SLI but put it back. I haven't decided yet. Do you guys think I will see a big enough improvement in 4K gaming to justify the price?

It seems to scale pretty well (not double of course) I guess and gives adequate FPS at 4K ... from a quick glance on a couple of review sites.  Honestly, I would do a google for 1070 SLI Review ... and see what a couple of tech sites report, games they benchmarked ... etc.

Honestly, if you have the money and time to burn, go for it. I for one, will never again run SLI or XFIRE because the bugs and glitches just were not worth the time spent fixing them. I ran a highend SLI setup and XFIRE, and some games it ran great, some games you had to disable dual-card setups for them to run smoothly. I just got tired of constantly having to fiddle with various settings to get the games to work. I also enjoy overclocking, which became much more difficult with two cards compared to one. I dont know the improvement would be worth the price. I mean consider this, even the 1080 has some trouble maintaining fluid gameplay at 4K.

Before this 1070 I had dual 670's for a long time so I'm wondering if they will give me that kind of longevity. I suppose I can buy it and try it out.

As the owner of a pair of 1070's and playing 4K I saw a huge improvement in all the games I have, and that's quite a broad range of titles. There's nothing I haven't been able to max out yet and keep at a solid 60 FPS though I do sometimes have to drop and reduce anti-aliasing as it does have quite an overhead but you don't really notice the 'jaggies' at such res. There's a lot of talk about SLI problems, but through years of using SLI I've never really noticed or experienced any problems with any game I've played. Initially I only bought a single 1070 but then I had a laptop under warranty from the same store that died on me. I hardly used the laptop so instead of a repair they offered me store credit for the value but wouldn't do a cash refund, so another 1070 it was.

CPU-Z valiated proof of onwership here: http://valid.x86.fr/y1g6t8

1 minute ago, xendrome said:

I don't get the point of spending a total of $850 for a 5-10% increase over a single $649 1080 GTX, SLI is only going to work in a few games, it's going  to increase PSU load and case temps.

You beat me to it. Additionally, when you upgrade, you'll have two cards to get rid of.

10 minutes ago, xendrome said:

Look through this review - http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2474-gtx-1070-sli-benchmark-vs-gtx-1080-and-gtx-1070/page-2

When SLI is supposed in the game, it's marginal. and it looks like DX12 suffers over SLI.

32 minutes ago, patseguin said:

I thought that 2x 1070's would far outperform a single 1080?

14 hours ago, Bryan R. said:

You beat me to it. Additionally, when you upgrade, you'll have two cards to get rid of.

14 hours ago, xendrome said:

I don't get the point of spending a total of $850 for a 5-10% increase over a single $649 1080 GTX, SLI is only going to work in a few games, it's going  to increase PSU load and case temps.

I see a nice difference in Battlefield 1, Battlefront, Battlefield 4, Doom, Rainbow Six Division, and Rainbow Six Seige.  

24 minutes ago, patseguin said:

So would I be better off trying to sell my 1070 and just buy a 1080 for my 4K gaming?

Yes, but even so... 4K gaming at 60+ FPS is just not quite feasible now. I am staying at 1440p for that reason. In games that do support SLI or CrossFire, the performance still varies.

On 19/09/2016 at 11:21 PM, xendrome said:

On 20/09/2016 at 1:41 PM, xendrome said:

Look through this review - http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2474-gtx-1070-sli-benchmark-vs-gtx-1080-and-gtx-1070/page-2

When SLI is supposed in the game, it's marginal. and it looks like DX12 suffers over SLI.

You're picking out the worst case scenario. Look at this review and check out the various games for a more representative picture.

A quick summary for those who don't have the time.

Far Cry Primal

62fps - GTX 1070 SLI

44fps - GTX 1080

41% gain

Thief

74fps - GTX 1070 SLI

52fps - GTX 1080

42% gain

Tom Clancy's The Division

54fps - GTX 1070 SLI

44fps - GTX 1080

22% gain

GTA V

82fps - GTX 1070 SLI

58fps - GTX 1080

41% gain

Battlefield Hardline

65fps - GTX 1070 SLI

42fps - GTX 1080

55% gain

Alien Isolation

111ps - GTX 1070 SLI

86fps - GTX 1080

29% gain

Middle Earth: Shadow Mordor

66ps - GTX 1070 SLI

42fps - GTX 1080

57% gain

That means you're looking at an average gain of 41% going for the GTX 1070 SLI versus the GTX 1080. There are some games where SLI scaling is poor but they are few and far between and I say that having used SLI with GTX 680s and GTX 970s.

TL;DR - The OP is better off adding a second GTX 1070 than having to go to the effort of selling off their current card and buying a GTX 1080.