Google Apps - Need third party tool for managing domain contacts directory

Question

Hello all,

My organization uses Google Apps for our email. At some point in the past, I've been told we had some kind of third party app known as "App Butler", which somehow synced everyone's contacts to the domain directory, so that contacts were effectively shared across the domain. At some point, the app was uninstalled I guess, or we stopped paying for it, or something. I don't really know, it was gone before I started working here.

I tried googling Apps Butler, and it looks like its part of some larger suite which you have to pay for.

Basically, I want to know what the most (cost) effective way to do what explained above - If person A has address X in their contacts list, Person B should be able to pull up that address through the auto complete, instead of having to rummage around sent/received emails for the contact, or have to ask around for someone to give it to them manually.

Any third party apps someone can suggest? Free is best, but we are willing to spend a bit of money if necessary and/or worth it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

3 answers to this question

That's just a description of how the Global Directory works. Actually managing it requires either tedious manual action, or use of the API, hence me asking around for recommendations on pre-existing apps.

Thanks though.

Never used Google Apps, always meant to look in to it a little more though.

Had a quick look around, would this help at all? Google Apps Directory Sync https://support.google.com/a/answer/1263028?hl=en&ref_topic=4497998

In the video (extremely dated) there was something about sharing contacts. May be worth a look.

The only other suggestion I found on my brief travel was GAM - https://github.com/jay0lee/GAM/wiki#introduction

Sorry if I've misunderstood what you're trying to do but without knowing a bit more about your setup, i'm guessing! :)