Can we uninstall Microsoft Access 2016?

Question

Seems like in Microsoft's latest update for Office, they went to install Access 2016 for me. And I can't seem to simply uninstall it. Is there a way to do so?

21 answers to this question

Well first, I doubt an update is coming through to install Access. More than likely, you already have access installed as part of your office suite, 2016, which officially you cannot customize the install. However, there are work-arounds. You can customize your click-to-run in order to exclude certain office 2016 applications, see here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_install-mso_win10/how-to-uninstall-access-and-unsed-office-2016/ebcc6c07-024b-4eb7-ae28-47ee4e932f83

On 10/15/2016 at 0:10 AM, Bryan84 said:

So sad Microsoft made it so hard ... Gosh. Why can't they just let us customise it for home users.

Because especially home users are likely to break things and make it worse for all of us that try to help them, you're not going to gain that much HDD space as it is, just let it be 

If you are worried about home users playing with it, why dont you just remove the shortcuts from desktop/start menu etc.

I know its not the proper "solution" but it would stop casual clickers.

It takes up about as much space as a floppy, give or take a few KB's. Why bother with it? Ever used it? It's quite a handy little program. (If you don't want others to have permission to use it, set up a limited account, and NEVER run as admin!)

3 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Kenobi said:

It takes up about as much space as a floppy, give or take a few KB's. Why bother with it? Ever used it? It's quite a handy little program. (If you don't want others to have permission to use it, set up a limited account, and NEVER run as admin!)

The run time alone is 300+mb, and install requirements are about 3GB, when did floppy disks get that large?

On 10/17/2016 at 4:38 AM, Anibal P said:

Because especially home users are likely to break things and make it worse for all of us that try to help them, you're not going to gain that much HDD space as it is, just let it be 

Just how bad the coding is then if uninstalling Access/any application will break either Office or Windows?

5 minutes ago, xendrome said:

The run time alone is 300+mb, and install requirements are about 3GB, when did floppy disks get that large?

didn't take account of the "runtime"....just commented on the fly, my apologies. Besides, what is 3GB anyway? Nothing, in today's storage methods. Still, as the OP asked, it's not worth it. (I'm remoted into my laptop, so all I did was see the shortcut, again, my apologies)

On 10/15/2016 at 0:10 AM, Bryan84 said:

So sad Microsoft made it so hard ... Gosh. Why can't they just let us customise it for home users.

If you want to customize, then get Office 2013 or older.  You can't do that on Office 2016.

You don't need to worry about it since most computers have bigger drives these days.

If you need to make room, then uninstall Office so you have more room for something else.

23 minutes ago, xendrome said:

Does Office 2016 not have an xml file you can edit to defer some components from installing? I'm not sure but i know 2007 and 2010 had it.

you can, I linked to the guide from microsoft in my first reply, but even easier is to use the 2016 deployment tool. It does the same thing, but easier for a novice.

I used to be a real stickler about which components of Office I would install; some of the things I wanted weren't in the default, but some of the things selected by default I didn't need.  But I always installed all the apps; they're just good to have.  What is the need for uninstalling Access?  Is it to regain disk space?  Or just because most folks don't know what it is and so you might as well remove it?  When I first got Office 2016 (through the Office 365 subscription) I was a little annoyed that I couldn't customize it, but I realize that I might as well get it all, since I have the space.  

The op is onto something: if one has a small SSD then there is a good reason why one wouldn't want to install everything.

The op is onto something: if one has a small SSD then there is a good reason why one wouldn't want to install everything.

35 minutes ago, Danielx64 said:

But how small is small?  That is the question.

4 minutes ago, devHead said:

Let say that you got business computers that only got like 80 or 120GB SSD drives.

14 minutes ago, Danielx64 said:

Let say that you got business computers that only got like 80 or 120GB SSD drives.

Sounds like a legit poor business decision. 

3 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Sounds like a legit poor business decision. 

Yes but you know what businesses are like, they want to spend as little as possible (just saying).

1 hour ago, Danielx64 said:

Yes but you know what businesses are like, they want to spend as little as possible (just saying).

Luckily I don't work for stupids, and therefore don't run into that issue :)