MacBook Air: Killed by Apple

So I just watched the keynote and after the introduction of the new MacBook, Apple mentioned that they didn't forget about their MacBook Air customers and is offering a MacBook Pro without the $300 touch bar.

This indicated that they are killing off the MacBook Air, which makes sense. There is nothing "air" about it anymore and it is one of the thickest laptops that Apple currently sells. So I was expecting the MacBook Air to disappear after Apple updated its website. However, it is still offered.

So what does the future hold for the MacBook Air? Is it dead in the water?

• 2 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, .Ruby said:

Can anyone explain why MagSafe was removed?

They saw an opportunity with USB-C to reduce their manufacturing costs and sell it to the consumer as "simplicity". It obviously has nothing to do with making your life easier, no matter what they say.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, .Ruby said:

Not sure, it was definitely easier to use MagSafe.  Although, this is one of the few times that Apple is actually removing a proprietary connector for something that the rest of the industry is using.

On 27/10/2016 at 7:45 PM, Titoist said:

So I just watched the keynote and after the introduction of the new MacBook, Apple mentioned that they didn't forget about their MacBook Air customers and is offering a MacBook Pro without the $300 touch bar.

This indicated that they are killing off the MacBook Air, which makes sense. There is nothing "air" about it anymore and it is one of the thickest laptops that Apple currently sells. So I was expecting the MacBook Air to disappear after Apple updated its website. However, it is still offered.

So what does the future hold for the MacBook Air? Is it dead in the water?

I can't speak for apple, but my feeling is that the Air was for people who wanted ultra-slim laptops.  So they offered that, but using an "Air" moniker suggested "hey yeah it's tiny thin, you'll make trade-offs, but if you don't want to - then the usual range also exists".

Now it's 2016 and they can offer the ultra slim Macbook (regular) without the trade-offs, so hey - the Air platform existed while it needed as a sort of "opt in testbed" but now the industry doesn't need it, and neither do apple.

I doubt we will see another air.

Just now, .Ruby said:

Those peasants sacrificing convenience over thinness and that's why it's no longer there anymore. In fact, not only it didn't come up with a better solution than MagSafe but your probability of crashing a laptop has skyrocketed over 100%.

1 hour ago, ctebah said:

Not sure, it was definitely easier to use MagSafe.  Although, this is one of the few times that Apple is actually removing a proprietary connector for something that the rest of the industry is using.

My opinion is that this is what happens when you replace a visionary (Jobs) with a bean counter (Cook). Its all about BOM, profits and marketing now. Nothing wrong with making money, but Jobs steered the development of products in a direction that made people want to use them. Convenience and justifiable Simplicity. How does eliminating Magsafe benefit the customer? Do people enjoy toting a bag of dongles with their Macbooks? Why do they move to USB-C for their laptops and not take the opportunity to adopt it for the iPhone so Apple's own users don't need and adapter to connect their iPhones to their Macbooks?

Cook needs to be replaced before people begin to wonder exactly what they're paying for.

Edited by slamfire92

Since Jobs died, what did Apple do that is "new" and fresh?  iWatch, the Pencil (iPad existed during Jobs time) and....  That's it?!

For everything else, it's more of the same.  Or worst, we saw the slowdown of the update for many Mac computers (Mac mini, iMac, Mac Pro, ...).

But the price still go up....

22 minutes ago, TruckWEB said:

Since Jobs died, what did Apple do that is "new" and fresh?  iWatch, the Pencil (iPad existed during Jobs time) and....  That's it?!

For everything else, it's more of the same.  Or worst, we saw the slowdown of the update for many Mac computers (Mac mini, iMac, Mac Pro, ...).

But the price still go up....

3D Touch trackpad was good. Thats about it...

7 minutes ago, JHBrown said:

Apple still innovates, and at the same pace as other tech giants.

Apple is stagnant, is going down, and they don't innovate at all any more.  They need a complete change of leadership since all other companies are innovating at a much faster pace.

Did I miss anything? :p

5 minutes ago, ctebah said:

Apple is stagnant, is going down, and they don't innovate at all any more.  They need a complete change of leadership since all other companies are innovating at a much faster pace.

Did I miss anything? :p

One of my favorite Neowin members, hello ctebah. Based on the definition of innovate, I personally believe they still innovate. Stagnant, I would agree, however, they are as stagnant as the other giants. Good to hear from you.:yes:

1 minute ago, JHBrown said:

One of my favorite Neowin members, hello ctebah. Based on the definition of innovate, I personally believe they still innovate. Stagnant, I would agree, however, they are as stagnant as the other giants. Good to hear from you.:yes:

If only they stop REMOVING their innovations heh.

Removing magsafe was the most idiotic thing I have seem them do so far.

5 hours ago, JHBrown said:

Apple still innovates, and at the same pace as other tech giants.

WHERE??  They are playing catch up most of the time now...   They announced the iWatch at the same time the Moto 360 was released.  The "Pencil" existed long before on other device, mainly Surface or many Samsung Android tablet (or Note phone) and lets not forget that Jobs was against a pen for a tablet.  Okay, I'll give them 3D Touch, I don't think it was "a thing" before Apple included it in the iPhone.

And the race for the slimmer laptop?  Is that innovation, especially when you're losing ports?

• 1 month later...

I know that was a great necro of a thread there but.....

42 minutes ago, Amemecol said:

:yes: though there might be a reason behind the removing. May be there will be a replacement 

Why would they take it out, to put something else in, to take it out again with something else?

I think USB-C will be the new standard (as it should be by now).

4 hours ago, Amemecol said:

:yes: though there might be a reason behind the removing. May be there will be a replacement 

You don't remove something until you have a replacement. Oh yes, it's USB C which will not break away like mag safe. 

On 12/30/2016 at 9:32 AM, adrynalyne said:

You don't remove something until you have a replacement. Oh yes, it's USB C which will not break away like mag safe. 

I think they removed it because it's expensive the parts and it will probably be more cheaper for Apple if they move to another type of hardware connection. Even though they have money and this is really not an issue. I am just guessing.