SAS interface HDD

While browsing newegg looking for a cheap laptop hdd, I ran across a 146GB 10K RPM SAS interface drive. Now I know that the interface of the laptop is SATA, and I also see that there are adapters for SAS-SATA selling for $5.50, my question is 1) Do I have to have the adapter and 2)If I do buy the drive w/ adapter is there going to be any potential issues? 

• Like 2

No.  You would need a SAS controller.  A SAS controller is compatible with SATA... but a SATA controller (like your notebook) can not use SAS.  If that makes sense.  :)

14 minutes ago, jjkusaf said:

No.  You would need a SAS controller.  A SAS controller is compatible with SATA... but a SATA controller (like your notebook) can not use SAS.  If that makes sense.  :)

Perfect sense, just like SCSI was back in the day!

• Like 2

On 16/01/2017 at 2:07 AM, jnelsoninjax said:

Perfect sense, just like SCSI was back in the day!

Exactly, as SAS stands for Serial Attached SCSI

It's madness to put a 10K drive in a laptop anyway.  They are pretty power hungry compared to a regular drive, get warmer and make a lot more noise.

If you want a fast drive to put in the machine, buy an SSD,

On 1/17/2017 at 1:07 PM, Fahim S. said:

It's madness to put a 10K drive in a laptop anyway.  They are pretty power hungry compared to a regular drive, get warmer and make a lot more noise.

If you want a fast drive to put in the machine, buy an SSD,

I was not looking for speed, just happened to see the size and was interested in it, and I knew nothing about the SAS interface.

On 1/17/2017 at 1:16 PM, xendrome said:

The $68 one? Not even sure why you would consider that drive.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820156150&cm_re=Crucial_SSD-_-20-156-150-_-Product

$89, 275GB SSD... done.

Again, I am not going to purchase it, it is for a laptop that is only used for video playback for an autistic child who likes to throw said computer when he gets mad, so I personally am not spending anything on it, his parents asked me to find a inexpensive drive since the current one will no longer boot (SMART error).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

it is for a laptop that is only used for video playback for an autistic child who likes to throw said computer when he gets mad.

In that case an SSD is better as it has no moving parts to get damaged during a tantrum :)

4 minutes ago, Tidosho said:

In that case an SSD is better as it has no moving parts to get damaged during a tantrum :)

beat me to it tido.

bag a smaller cheap SSD for him and your sorted. no read/write heads to bounce off the platter if laptop is powered on when it gets airborne.

http://www.ebuyer.com/766019-sk-hynix-sl308-120gb-solid-state-drive-hfs120g32tnd-n1a2a

£41 here in the UK

Hello,

In addition to the SSD, you might want to look into a plastic shell or skin for the laptop, which are available for some models, as well as a skin for the keyboard (great for spills) and possibly even rubber bumpers to put on the corners of the laptop.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

10 hours ago, Tidosho said:

Now that you mention it, that does seem to be a better option.

10 hours ago, Mando said:

beat me to it tido.

bag a smaller cheap SSD for him and your sorted. no read/write heads to bounce off the platter if laptop is powered on when it gets airborne.

http://www.ebuyer.com/766019-sk-hynix-sl308-120gb-solid-state-drive-hfs120g32tnd-n1a2a

£41 here in the UK

OK, I'll look and see what I can find >$50

5 hours ago, goretsky said:

Hello,

In addition to the SSD, you might want to look into a plastic shell or skin for the laptop, which are available for some models, as well as a skin for the keyboard (great for spills) and possibly even rubber bumpers to put on the corners of the laptop.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I'll see if anything exists for his laptop, thanks for the suggestion.

• Like 3