4K TV questions

I bought my current setup at Best Buy back when 1080 and 3D were coming out. I have a Panasonic VT 30 65" TV and a Pioneer AV system with 7.1 and HD audio.

I just bought the new Shield TV so I am itching to finally get my TV setup to 4K.

I was at Best Buy today and they had a beautiful looking 65" curved Samsung. It was right over a flat TV and the curve really gives it dimension.

The set was like $1500 which I thought was great. I looked and the model was 6500 I think. It has 120hz refresh and that's about all I know.

Will I notice a big difference if I try to save for more to afford a 240hz set?

Also, is the curve really a nice feature? Or more of a gimmick and I should stay with conventional flat?

Curve, unless you're real close to your TV and "enjoy" the immersive feeling it provide, is a gimmick (IMO).

4K is one thing, but the important thing is HDR.  Don't settle for a TV that does not have HDR.  And if you own an Xbox One S, you will need HDR PRO (or HDR 10) but not Dolby Vision HDR.

I don't know enough to talk about Dolby Atmos -vs- Master Audio HD, so can't help there for your AV system.

Curved TVs are useless unless you are using it as a monitor for computing.

Curved TVs aren't great for movies viewing from couch.  Unless you have massive theater screen size such as 20 ft wide or larger ... you can have curved version of the screen for this.

Avoid curved TVs in standard sizes.   If you prefer curved movie viewing, then get theater size instead.

That's what the movie theaters use ... they have curved screens in their viewing rooms.  Old movie theaters have their flat screens.

My brother has flat 3D TV with 4K.     Movies in 3D on his TV are incredible.  His friend came by and noticed that kids watch a movie in 3D.. He tried it on and went "Wow!"

30 minutes ago, TAZMINATOR said:

Curved TVs are useless unless you are using it as a monitor for computing.

Curved TVs aren't great for movies viewing from couch.  Unless you have massive theater screen size such as 20 ft wide or larger ... you can have curved version of the screen for this.

Avoid curved TVs in standard sizes.   If you prefer curved movie viewing, then get theater size instead.

That's what the movie theaters use ... they have curved screens in their viewing rooms.  Old movie theaters have their flat screens.

My brother has flat 3D TV with 4K.     Movies in 3D on his TV are incredible.  His friend came by and noticed that kids watch a movie in 3D.. He tried it on and went "Wow!"

All of what you said about curved HDTVs was originally said about HDTV as a platform at merely 1080p alone.  I didn't believe it then - and don't believe it now.

We have a curved TV in the breakfast nook off the kitchen, and it is a "standard" size (40").  It is usually used to watch studio shows (daytime dramas, news, and sports on weekends).  In short, it is seldom used to watch movies.  It replaced a smaller FP HDTV (which itself has replaced one of two CRTs that remained - a 32" Trinitron that is being donated - nothing is wrong with it other than being too heavy).

I'm looking more at 4K - which is at the same price AS curved in the "standard" sizes; the reason I am NOT considering curved is because the HDTV it will replace is wall-mounted (VESA-standard wall-mount).  The 4K TV I am considering is the Samsung 40KU7000FXZA - https://smile.amazon.com/Samsung-UN40KU7000-40-Inch-Ultra-Smart/dp/

It will be used for SOME of the purposes that a home theater is used for (which is why the HDR support is critical); however, I don't have enough wall for a theater-sized screen.  The first device that will be connected to it that can leverage HDR won't be a console (I don't own one) but a Tivo BOLT (replacement for a Premiere that failed; hardware failure).  We also DO have a home-theater-sized display (55 inches); however, for the same reasons, curved is not an option there, either - instead, the likely choice will be the 55-inch version of this same model (UN55KU7000FXZA).

While I don't normally care FOR curved HDTVs of any size, rejecting them out of hand is just as silly - and I won't do so.

1 hour ago, TruckWEB said:

Curve, unless you're real close to your TV and "enjoy" the immersive feeling it provide, is a gimmick (IMO).

4K is one thing, but the important thing is HDR.  Don't settle for a TV that does not have HDR.  And if you own an Xbox One S, you will need HDR PRO (or HDR 10) but not Dolby Vision HDR.

I don't know enough to talk about Dolby Atmos -vs- Master Audio HD, so can't help there for your AV system.

Seconded. HDR is more important than 4K imo (not that you see many sets (any?) for sale with HDR without 4K).

2 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

Seconded. HDR is more important than 4K imo (not that you see many sets (any?) for sale with HDR without 4K).

Exactly - if a a TV supports HDR, it WILL support 4K (I've seen TVs that support 4K, but not HDR - however, the reverse has not been true).

• 2 months later...

i realize this thread is 3mo old now, but i thought i'd post something for the record.

Even if a TV supports HDR, it will not be of any benefit unless the TV also has a wide color gamut (WCG). A TV needs a WCG in order to display the enhanced color information that HDR provides. This typically means 65-70%, or more, of the BT2020 color space.

patseguin mentioned the 6500, so i assume that's the KU6500. afaik this tv doesnt have a wide color gamut.

• Like 2

i will also add to benefit from HDR the source needs to have HDR information in the media

so playing old DVDs, Blu-rays will not give you any benefit. certain games on xbox one s (only the S model), PS4 Pro, 4k Blu-ray, some netflix 4k shows will, but options are very limited at this point.

On 1/17/2017 at 4:38 AM, adrynalyne said:

HDR with 10 bit colour, my advice is to wait till the summer when monitors and TVs will be HDR 10 bit.

24 minutes ago, Mando said:

HDR with 10 bit colour, my advice is to wait till the summer when monitors and TVs will be HDR 10 bit.

Most 2016+ 4K TVs have HDR 10, except maybe some budget bargain bin models.

On 4/12/2017 at 9:42 AM, Mando said:

My 2015 Samsung JS8500 has a 10-bit panel. it's been standard for a while now.

On 4/12/2017 at 10:07 AM, adrynalyne said:

Most 2016+ 4K TVs have HDR 10, except maybe some budget bargain bin models.

A lot of the HDR 10-Bit sets, aren't actually 10-bit panels inside, they are using software trickery to make it process the HDR10 bit data. Each MFG has their own name for the technology. So if you REALLY want true 10-bit, make for sure that the panel inside is really a 10-bit panel.