Unable to Remove GPU from Dell Mobo PCI-Express Slot

The white release lever does not want to budge no matter which way I press it. The Motherboard is Dell 042P49.

Trying to take out a GTX 750 and replace it with a GTX 1050 TI.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

01.jpg

02.jpg

CPUZ Info.jpg

Hello,

Try gently pushing the card down and back towards the rear of the case in case the card's retention key is blocking the lever.  Then use a wooden coffee stir stick or tongue blade depressor to apply pressure to the lever.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I've run into some nasty ones. I can't say it's the stupidest design ever because there are a lot of candidates for that award but it is close. And mobo designers commonly block your finger access with the DIMM sockets to add some challenge!

You could always remove the mobo with the card as a last resort - about 10 mins that way versus perhaps longer finding some tool? I've never had to do that but I have often had to remove RAM and adjacent cards to get access. There are about 3 different directions to push/pull that tab as well depending on the socket. Up/Down are to two most common but I've also seen sideways.

I've never done it but I've seen mobos where they just broke off the plastic retainer and it's no big deal actually. Screw down the card and that stupid piece of plastic will never bother you again!

2 hours ago, T3X4S said:

long neck precision screwdriver to the rescue.

Hmmm. Long pointy metal tools applying force to something on a motherboard? Ouch..

Maybe a graphite shaft or maybe just a wooden chopstick?

• Like 2

if your struggling to get the right position, whip out the mobo onto a flat surface and then remove GPU, a scutter but....better than bricking the gpu or worse a capacitor on the board with trying to fudge it inside the case.

From what i can see in the pic, that looks like the older GPU retainer clip, as long as it pops down or slides outward (cant make it out on pic) lever it out from the backplane and the front of the gpu should push that down also.

Yep...these particular retention clips are terrible (IMO) .  Been awhile since I've ran into this devil-style clip ... but iirc you'll want to push down and slightly angle towards front of mobo.  Might even help to put a little pressure on the back up the GPU (not a lot...just a little).  It'll eventually look like this ... 

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.7005315afe6af055b7597e3c6b20d9db.jpg

Thanks for trying to help everyone. :) I tried everything suggested short of taking the mobo out and its still stuck. Frankly its very frustrating and I don't want to mess with it anymore. Sometime during the week I'll take it to a specialty store and pay someone to get it out. They usually do stuff like that for free for me anyways if it doesnt take alot of work. I'm even contemplating saving up abit and getting a new roomier case and better mobo and putting the rest of the stuff I have into that. I need a roomier case anyways because my new psu is about a quarter inch too wide to fit inside, so it sits ontop of the case itself.

So even a little bit of pressure on the GPU didn't help (or maybe even pulling up a bit) ... and as others have suggested an instrument (not sharp) to force it down.  Those are the "devil" clips though ... and a PITA.  Can you take off the CPU fan (looks like it is held by four screws) to give yourself a little more leverage?  I think you should be able to do it ... just be careful off the surround mobo.

I understand what they're for, but don't understand why they're needed. Its not like I  take my PC offroading.

Have you tried removing the screw at the front to relieve pressure before attempting to disengaging the clip?

Yeah tried pressure on the GPU while  holding up and and then down and even left and right while pressing the lever with a long thick plastic butter knife (not sharp at all) and no luck at all. I've done this before with older PC's and friends PC's and I've never had this kind of trouble with them. Taking off the CPU fan wouldnt give me enough leverage to bother.

I'd remove the HSF and RAM while working on this. You want more room and also reduced the possibility of damaging your RAM should you slip, while applying force.

Also, cuss. It helps :)

Do you plan on using this card again? If you removed the motherboard, could you get some snips in there to cut off the piece of the card that's locking it in place?

My right hand is sore from all the attempts and I've got everything back together. Will just take it in and have someone else try. I did alot of cussing lol.

I was thinking of giving my nephew the card, so I'd like to keep it one piece if possible. :)

If the people I will take it to can get it out without damaging it, I think I'll ask them to disable/remove the locking mechanism, so I never have to bother with it again. I never take the PC to lan parties or anything so I don't think I have any real use for it to lock. It seems it would still be very stable without the lock.

3 minutes ago, Sladen said:

I was thinking of giving my nephew the card, so I'd like to keep it one piece if possible. :)

If the people I will take it to can get it out without damaging it, I think I'll ask them to disable/remove the locking mechanism, so I never have to bother with it again. I never take the PC to lan parties or anything so I don't think I have any real use for it to lock. It seems it would still be very stable without the lock.

Well crud ... last thing I was going to suggest was timely advice by Jamie Hyneman ... "When in Doubt, C4"

but since you want to give it to your nephew ... guess it would be best to take it someone and see what they can do with it.  

• Like 1

I already noted that you can break the plastic retaining clip.

I've never tried that but I have used mobos with a broken clip with zero problems.

If you break it, the pressure should be applied locally to just the clip by pliers etc, since just yanking on the GPU card has a risk of de-laminating the socket from the mobo

I'd like to break the clip if possible but there is not enough clip to press on with pliers visible without risking slipping and scratching the mobo .

I found a Youtube video which shows the full bare clip. Its the same Optiplex 3010 build and exact same motherboard. It seems the clip has to move to the right, but it's stuck in its set position..

[wyoutube]

I decided to give another crack at it and the thing finally unlocked and the card came out cleanly. :)

Glad that's over with. It seems that all my previous attempts have at least made it easier to unlock this time.

That thing was the devil in a small plastic form. Now I can give the 750 to my nephew and it will be more than good enough for browsing/facebook/older games and surely better than whatever integrated graphics he has. :)

On 3/26/2017 at 2:34 AM, DevTech said:

Hmmm. Long pointy metal tools applying force to something on a motherboard? Ouch..

Maybe a graphite shaft or maybe just a wooden chopstick?

Well, assuming the machine isnt running (or plugged in) & the person/box is grounded - (and of course, the OP doesnt have Parkinson's ) - there would be no problem.