Need help with Microsoft Office 2013 error message,

Question

I have had Microsoft Office 2013 installed on my Windows 10 PC for over a year with no problems. Today all of a sudden, I opened Word and there was a window with the following message:

Error, the operating system is not currently configured to run this application.

I tried Excel and Powerpoint and got the same message. So I disabled Norton Internet Security (just in case it was causing an issue) and that did not help. Then I installed both Malwarebytes and Hitman Pro and ran them just in case any malware was causing the issue. None was found. Then I ran Office repair from Add/Remove Programs and that reinstalled Office but still received the same message when I tried to open any Office program. Then I uninstalled Office again and then ran the Easy Fix from Microsoft if you have any issues uninstalling Office. I then downloaded Office 2013 again from the Microsoft site, installed it and NO LUCK. Still get the same message.

I am at a loss as to why this is happening and what to do to rectify it. Does anyone have any idea what the problem is and how I can fix it? I'd appreciate any input.

4 answers to this question

47 minutes ago, xendrome said:

Thanks, I really appreciate your help. I pretty much tried everything this guy said and still no luck. When I ran the Easy Fix removal tool it said it would remove "all previously installed" Office versions but there are no other versions.This PC came with Windows 8 which did not come with any Office installation, unlike Windows 7. Office 2013 is the only version ever put on this PC. Also some of the files he said to remove don't exist.

I did find a folder that says Office 15 and the only file inside says "root", but when I tried to delete it it said it couldn't because the folder or file was open in a program. I checked task manager.to see if anything to do with MS Office was there but there wasn't.

Anyway, I can't believe that I'm probably going to have to reinstall Windows because of this. So aggravating.