GPU: PCI-E 3.0 in 2.0 slot; compatible & wise?

I am thinking of getting a EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC GAMING 6GB.

However, this GPU requires a PCI-E 3.0 slot.

My mobo has only a PCI-Express 2.0 slot.

I have OC'ed my CPU (Core i7 920, 1st gen) to 3.4 GHz.

Will I get the fullest out of this 1060 GPU? Will it perform (slightly) more than my current TwinFrozr 760?

Or is it better to just wait and get a complete new (gaming) rig in the near future with the latest en greatest mobo, CPU, GPU etc.?

See sig for system specs.

7 minutes ago, Riva said:

The card will work in PCIe 2.0 mode and It will perform better than you current card for sure. You might struggle with high demand games like the witcher etc.

Altho I agree with your comments but witcher-3 is not that demanding. it will outperform.

I'm using an ASUS STRIX GTX 1070 in my PCI-e 2.0 slot and had no performance issues.

I did have the same concerns as you when I was considering purchasing the card. After some research, I learnt that it would only be bottlenecked if you were going to SLI/Crossfire cards...then you'd reach the bandwidth limit of PCI-e 2.0. Using just one card, it would be other system bottlenecks will throttle performance rather. 

• 2 weeks later...

yer it will be totally fine and wont bottleneck due to pcie 2x heck not even a 1080ti does ;) i ran a 970 ssc for eons on a z68 pcie2 no issues at all. it will knock your 7 series into next week mate, and probably use same or less power draw.

EVGAs are superb cards. BIG fan here, awaiting a 1080ti founder edition direct from EVGA (waiting list arrg)to replace my SSC 970GTX i still use, last part to the new build :) must update my sig....

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2017 at 6:15 AM, Jim K said:

You'll be fine (it'll work). :) If anything, the CPU will be the bottleneck not the PCIe slot.

All too true - remember, the GTX550Ti (Fermi) supports PCI Express16 2.0 - and I ran mine in a PCI Express16 1.1 slot for the longest time (Intel G41 chipset being the cause).  It has now caught up slot-wise (Intel H81 chipset), but now the GPU itself is the bottleneck.  So now I'm looking to move north GPU-wise again (EVGA GTX1050Ti - either Superclocked or SSC) and I'll again be slotwise behind the seven-ball (PCI-E 3.0 GPU/PCI-E 2.0 slot), but the CPU will still be the bottleneck (G3258); it just won't be as MUCH of one (none of the games I play require two CPU cores - yet).

I dont understand the relevance of mentioning the CPU is OC'd - certainly the OP doesnt think this makes some kind of big difference in performance.  (it doesnt)

EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC GAMING 6GB

It has an external power connector which I think is a good thing.

I'm not sure all mobos can power PCIe cards that if the card expects 3.0 so GPUs with no external power make me nervous during this generation's start of a transition to lower power GPU chips..,

3 hours ago, DevTech said:

EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC GAMING 6GB

It has an external power connector which I think is a good thing.

I'm not sure all mobos can power PCIe cards that if the card expects 3.0 so GPUs with no external power make me nervous during this generation's start of a transition to lower power GPU chips..,

yep i agree completely, from 7 series onwards gpus started pulling more and more power via pci-e slot, ive also been very wary about non pci-e plug powered cards. I had to reflash my old Z68 mothboards bios with the same version, for it to post with a 970SSC GTX I bought a while back, due to exactly that reason, it was drawing more than the replaced 660ti and the board didnt like it.

The reflash sorted it, almost like it re-interrogated the gpu for slot power draw requirements.

The EVGA card mentioned is a decent card, your talking 10 series gpu at a little bit higher than 970GTX performance levels, it will be totally fine on legacy pci-e2. A 1080p gaming card with settings at high in modern games, even 1440p.

You could get another 1060 and SLI them along with a power upgrade if you wanted to game comfortably above 1440p, only then at SLI and x8 speed on both slots would you be getting close to pci-e 2.0 band with limits.

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/EVGA-GeForce-GTX-970-SSC-ACX-2.0-vs-EVGA-GeForce-GTX-1060-SSC-ACX-3.0

Edited by Mando