I disabled HPET, now computer is running awful

Hi,

I made the terrible mistake of turning off my HPET which completely and potentially ruined my computer without any warning what so ever. 

Examples

- Before I did any of this, I had a perfect 60 frames on the witcher 3 at 1080p maxed settings.  After the steps listed below I now have 30 and massive stuttering/rendering issues.

- A couple of times upon restarting my PC my keyboard did not properly connect or get registered therefor not working (not sure if this matters but has never happened before once)

- Discoloration in Chrome (weird i know) and also some strange lag within steam when switching between games in the library tab (never happened before and seems like a processing issue)

- I ran a benchmark to see if any hardware was acting up, completely normal results, performing just as it had before (on paper) but that is unfortunately UNTRUE, this computer is not performing the way it was before this HPET ######. 

Specs 

- Windows 7 Pro

- i5 6600k @ 4.4ghz (overclocked)

- ASUS GTX 1060 6gb (overclocked)

This is exactly what I did step by step

- Restarted computer and went into BIOS

- Peripheral Settings > HPET > Enabled to Disabled

- Save and exit BIOS, computer is restarting

- Computer loads, windows Aero is gone, everything takes a very long time to load, programs won't launch.

- in command prompt i type "bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformclock" but it gives me an error and says that it doesn't recognize the value given

- I decide that this ######ed things up so I restarted PC

- BIOS > Peripheral Settings > HPET disabled to enabled

- Restart computer (keyboard didn't work after this so i had to restart again? -not sure if this matters or not it happened a couple times-)

- Everything is back to the way it seems (i thought) and i enter into the CMD prompt "bcdedit /set useplatformclock true"

- Launch Squad to see how it's running, it's running like ###### not rendering things and stuttering terribly, i alt f4 and launch the witcher 3

- the witcher 3 is not playable 30 fps not getting over 50, (i had a solid 60 frames before this smooth as butter no issues what so ever, checked all settings nothing changed AT ALL)

- I tried to reset my BIOS to original settings and I also went back to yesterday before a windows update to see if that would solve the issue, it did not.

I hope this helps and someone can give me a run down of what I can do to solve this issue..

This is the website I got the info and instructions from : 

https://www.ghacks.net/2013/04/18/try-changing-hpet-settings-to-improve-your-pcs-performance/

1 minute ago, Zuggers said:

Hi,

I made the terrible mistake of turning off my HPET which completely and potentially ruined my computer without any warning what so ever. 

Examples

- Before I did any of this, I had a perfect 60 frames on the witcher 3 at 1080p maxed settings.  After the steps listed below I now have 30 and massive stuttering/rendering issues.

- A couple of times upon restarting my PC my keyboard did not properly connect or get registered therefor not working (not sure if this matters but has never happened before once)

- Discoloration in Chrome (weird i know) and also some strange lag within steam when switching between games in the library tab (never happened before and seems like a processing issue)

- I ran a benchmark to see if any hardware was acting up, completely normal results, performing just as it had before (on paper) but that is unfortunately UNTRUE, this computer is not performing the way it was before this HPET ######. 

Specs 

- Windows 7 Pro

- i5 6600k @ 4.4ghz (overclocked)

- ASUS GTX 1060 6gb (overclocked)

This is exactly what I did step by step

- Restarted computer and went into BIOS

- Peripheral Settings > HPET > Enabled to Disabled

- Save and exit BIOS, computer is restarting

- Computer loads, windows Aero is gone, everything takes a very long time to load, programs won't launch.

- in command prompt i type "bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformclock" but it gives me an error and says that it doesn't recognize the value given

- I decide that this ######ed things up so I restarted PC

- BIOS > Peripheral Settings > HPET disabled to enabled

- Restart computer (keyboard didn't work after this so i had to restart again? -not sure if this matters or not it happened a couple times-)

- Everything is back to the way it seems (i thought) and i enter into the CMD prompt "bcdedit /set useplatformclock true"

- Launch Squad to see how it's running, it's running like ###### not rendering things and stuttering terribly, i alt f4 and launch the witcher 3

- the witcher 3 is not playable 30 fps not getting over 50, (i had a solid 60 frames before this smooth as butter no issues what so ever, checked all settings nothing changed AT ALL)

- I tried to reset my BIOS to original settings and I also went back to yesterday before a windows update to see if that would solve the issue, it did not.

I hope this helps and someone can give me a run down of what I can do to solve this issue..

This is the website I got the info and instructions from : 

https://www.ghacks.net/2013/04/18/try-changing-hpet-settings-to-improve-your-pcs-performance/

The hack goes back to when HPET was far less common (back when Intel, let alone AMD, still shipped both HPET-compliant and HPET-noncompliant versions of processors that used the same socket - for example, Northwood-B and Northwood-C; the former did not support HPET, while the latter did).

Nowadays, said hack is worse than useless, as neither ships an HPET-non-compliant CPU for any use, and haven't since Northwood-B, in Intel's case.  (Welcome to Feature Ubiquity.  When a feature becomes useful, it will show up in general-purpose processors more and more, until it reaches the Point of Ubiquity - HPET was one of the first CPU features to get there before 9x went away.  One of the more recent features that USED to be processor-specific, but nowadays is ubiquitous, is SLAT/EPT - in fact, in the case of AMD, it literally IS ubiquitous in their current shipments, and has been for nearly a decade in terms of PCs - remember, the first of my Insider PCs to support Hyper-V was an AMD-driven notebook.)  Because of what AMD did, it forced Intel's hand with G32xx (which marked Intel's response to those cheap Fusion APUs that AMD had been using in notebooks).  Yes - you could use them in desktops (G3258, anyone?) - which indeed lets you do Hyper-V on the silly-cheap (which was the biggest driver for my own use for G3258 - Hyper-V, not gaming or overclocking).  Still, it flies in the face of "conventional wisdom".

The article is confusing but the point of the article is that performance is INCREASED by turning the HPET ON.

In other words the hardware is performing a job that otherwise would need to be emulated in software.

The rest is just VOODOO.

There was a transitional period when a lot of hardware defaulted to OFF to be compatible with legacy stuff, typically Device Drivers but that time is LONG GONE.

DPC Latency will always be Critical in Windows so running diagnostics for that might be fruitful.

Most likely you now have a corrupted Device Driver of some sort causing your issues so two actions come to mind:

(and turn off ALL overclocking until you sort it out.)

1. Check for any OLD hardware in your system that might have ancient device drivers and YANK IT OUT.

2. Update to Windows 10 Pro (it's still free, really) which will re-discover all your hardware, OR do a "Refresh Install" of 7 in place which will have the same effect, OR do a backup and delete all your device drivers which has a risk of an unbootable system, but never personally seen it happen.

Sounds like several things went wrong here in the same time period and it's all assumed to be by messing with hpet. 

19 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

Sounds like several things went wrong here in the same time period and it's all assumed to be by messing with hpet. 

Some problems can be obscure, but your observation seems more likely to me ATM than HPET.

For example, if he over-volted to get his overclocks, there could have been some degradation that kicked in at the same time or he never tested Prime95 for 24 hours to verify stability etc. and the ambient temp rose 2 degrees in his room etc.

OP - restore from backup now that you have the BIOS back to the way it was.

Because we all know you had a good backup policy in place, right ?   right ?

If you have to push your system past stable parameters just to get 5 more FPS, you need better hardware, or need to cut down on some background performance-robbing apps.

But, you know made a mistake, so no reason to mention it.  If you aren't getting the performance you need in the games you play, you might want to upgrade some things instead of pushing it more.