Router For a Friend

Hey Guys,

I'm looking for a SOHO Router for a friend. I haven't used a SOHO router in forever. He needs 4 ports minimum, and I'll be using a port extender to give him wifi access to the other sections of his house. He has an oddly shaped house, and the location of the router makes it hard to reach other parts. I'm not too sure how well WiFif Extenders/Boosters work, if it's worth it. He uses WiFi for nearly everything, except for the occasional hardwire for downloading work content, like ISOs and what not.

I'm not looking for something high-end or super fancy. Something in the $100 - $150 range, He streams a lot, especially from my PLEX Server. 

What's on the Network

2 - Cell Phones

3 - TVs

3 - Laptops

Any suggestions would be great; I was leaning towards TP-Link, but I've been a non-soho user for a few years now. I'm out of touch.

1 minute ago, sc302 said:

In that price range, I would look at the r7000

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-Gigabit-Support-Compatible/dp/B00F0DD0I6

It is pretty fast and will support whatever internet connection he throws at it.

not quite, unless it supports 10Gbit :p Which I now have access too, but don't feel like paying $300 a month for it.

I'll suggest it to him.

Just now, sc302 said:

Well you wouldn't be looking at a 150 router max to support that either.

Nope. He's happy with his 100/100 Connection. He has no need for 1Gbit like I do. Anyways, I'm awaiting his response of the link.

2 hours ago, BinaryData said:

I'm not too sure how well WiFif Extenders/Boosters work

They don't work - not if you actually want wifi ;)  Any extender/repeater is automatic /2 of your wifi bandwidth.. Why would anyone pay anything for that crap??

If your going to do something - do it correctly, or just not do it... For a few bucks more just setup actual AP!!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BudMan said:

They don't work - not if you actually want wifi ;)  Any extender/repeater is automatic /2 of your wifi bandwidth.. Why would anyone pay anything for that crap??

If your going to do something - do it correctly, or just not do it... For a few bucks more just setup actual AP!!

I was thinking about that actually. How well will the Ubiquiti APs work through a SOHO router? I wasn't sure if there would be any DHCP Conflictions or anything of that sort. I'll have to get a decent drawing of his house, and post it up here. 

The ubiquity work just fine with a soho router.   Fwiw I have the wifi turned off on the r7000s I use with UniFi's. The wifi sometimes stops working on the mid to low level routers....devices connect but can't go to internet or internet very slow, only fix is to reboot router.  Disabling wifi and putting in aps has been the only solid fix and my recommended method if they are willing to pay for additional equipment, dd-wrt doesn't always fix. 

^exactly.  What is doing the nat/firewall to the internet has zero to do in what connects the wifi to the network.  You can use AP with any router.

If you can not actually run a wire to where you need to place the AP for best wifi coverage.  Then 2nd choice would be to use powerline adapters to get a wire to where the AP are.  Last possible choice would be with those crappy repeaters..

They might of been some what functional when you had 10mbps internet.. But now when internet speeds are becoming issues for even true AP to keep up with at full 2x2 client streams.  Why would you want /2 of the bandwidth that a repeater going to be.

If you can not run a wire, the unifi AP do support wireless uplink.  Which uses different band than what is used by the clients, so you don't run into the /2 of the bandwidth.  You could setup some of the new mesh setups from google, netgear, etc.  But they are very pricey for what they can do - ###### they can not even do vlans.. WTF??  Pointless crap meant to be shiny so the typical use will buy it a premium.. While it can give you better wifi coverage and speed.  You can not even isolate your ever growing amount of iot devices.

To be honest do your friend/buddy a favor and set him up with a smart switch and real router and AP.. You can get the little pfsense sg-1000 for $149.. Or go full unifi and use their gateway which is like $100..  A unifi switch and AP(s)...

gateway 120

AP lite 90

so your at 210 for a system that can grow and actually do stuff..  Vs what 200$ for some crappy  wifi router..

If you need more switch ports, any smart switch for $30 bucks works..

Never use a repeater/extender.  They are snake oil.  It is marketing to the non-IT people of the world.  Duping the layman into thinking it will deliver wifi to the house, when in actuality, it kills the bandwidth, doubles the latency, and renders any streaming non-existent.  For every packet that is sent, it has to do a double take to make it to the router, then back again.  Its a joke, and the punchline is people dont realize they paid for something that kills something else they are paying for - their ISP data package.

An AP is what is needed.