Label Maker

Hey Guys and Gals,

This didn't quite fit any other topic area, so I just stuck it here.

Here's what I'm looking for; I need a label maker (laminated labels), that can be hooked up to a printer, and be fed a CSV File to print the labels on. I'm currently using a Brother P-Touch 2700 Label Maker, and it's a massive pain. I'm attempting to setup a database, however it isn't working all that well.

I need to be able to print tons of labels. We physically label all our servers, switches, and storage arrays with the hostnames. I'm getting a bit tired of having to copy and paste them in there. I can export a list of hostnames from our NLyte Database, and copy and paste that into the proper Excel Database and print. That's the goal.

Cost isn't necessarily an issue, but I would like to have a standalone printer that requires no PC however, if that isn't an option we can setup a single PC to host the label maker, or purchase multiples to accomplish this.

I'm currently the schmuck whose creating all the labels, I've got more paper cuts than I have hair in my beard.

hey up buddy, we use a variety of alternatives than the Brothers.

have a look at Brady Powermark range and Lighthouse, or the Avery desktop units. Heck even some of the smaller GT420 Zebra systems with Easylabel could fit the bill, they will also support 3D barcode generation (easylabel) nicelabel, or ETI-cad also fits the bill.

Easylabel, Nicelabel,ETI-CAD & Bartender all support Zebras for example and allow CSV input, we use them for incremental product lots for commercial labeling of tiny vials via our ERP onsite. and producing barcodes on said labelling with data injections from SQL Dbs, but they also support CSV input.

we use both and tbh i prefer the Brady ones, as they have entire range of seaton signs in them (they own Seaton signs) if you want a more general purpose solution.

they can print to laminate, metal tabs, flourescent boards, sticky paper the works....we do all our signage for H&S and pipe marking,network tags, the works on them. stand alone or PC/LAN connected is possible.

We have various host name lengths. Something could be as small as;

xx-hostnamehere-xx

or it could be something as long as this;

xx-here_is_my-host-name-for-god-knows-why-xx

I haven't seen any tape that's one long spool. They're all specific labels.