Cliff Bleszinski reveals LawBreakers PC and PS4 release date

Cop a load of this.

By Robert Purchese Published 12/06/2017

Cliff Bleszinski has announced a release date for LawBreakers on PC and PS4: 8th August. It will cost $29.99/£24.99.

A PC beta will run from 28th June to 3rd July. You'll have to head over to the LawBreakers website to sign up for it.

Bleszinski and studio Boss Key clearly hope the lower price point will give LawBreakers a fighting chance alongside a game like Overwatch. Bleszinski even had a little pop at $60 multiplayer-only games when he announced the price on the PC Gaming E3 stage, saying, "None of this $60 multiplayer-only bulls***".

Continues...

I'm not interested in these types of games and it seems more and more of them keep coming out. *sigh*

2 hours ago, George P said:

I'm not interested in these types of games and it seems more and more of them keep coming out. *sigh*

Really?  I haven't really seen a proper Unreal Tournament type of game since...UT3.  Possibly Toxikk, but I haven't gotten around to getting into that yet (largely because I don't know anyone to play it with, but I'm sure I'll pick it up.)

Sure, there are arena shooters, especially team based/MOBA style but I've never felt like anything went back to UT style properly (and even UT3 felt a little dated, using largely the exact same weapons and play style as the originals in large part.)

I really don't like online type shooters, but, that's the way of the future. It's just I always get matched up with these NEETs who have nothing else to do, and here I am, I work full time, and I play D&D, and I play other games, and I have some basic shooter skill, and I could hang with the 3D, zero grav movements in this game, I'd probably take right to that, but the map knowledge and the game-specific skills, some people just have that down and I'm not really an A-level player to start with. Still, it looks fun.

So they blasted $60 multiplayer-only shooters... at $30 this is in why-not territory, but at the same time, it's online only too, isn't it? Were they only blasting the price point or were they also blasting the lack of an offline, single player experience? Because this is the same dude who made Gears of War, and I remember that game being hard as balls on easy. Then my brother in law wanted to play two player on the highest difficulty. We actually got pretty far. One of the more memorable gaming experiences of my life, actually. Wouldn't have been able to do it alone, but this guy only plays games on the highest difficulty, and he never quits. (Unfortunately he's a pretty terrible human being for other reasons, we haven't spoken in a couple years.)

preordering is what's wrong with the industry, you see some trailer and preorder based on that? really?

game looks like like any other twitch shooter, fast and annoying.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Slarlac249 said:

preordering is what's wrong with the industry, you see some trailer and preorder based on that? really?

Yes, one video is the entirety of what I make every purchase by.  There can't possibly be any other reason.

11 hours ago, dwLostCat said:

Really?  I haven't really seen a proper Unreal Tournament type of game since...UT3.  Possibly Toxikk, but I haven't gotten around to getting into that yet (largely because I don't know anyone to play it with, but I'm sure I'll pick it up.)

Sure, there are arena shooters, especially team based/MOBA style but I've never felt like anything went back to UT style properly (and even UT3 felt a little dated, using largely the exact same weapons and play style as the originals in large part.)

Think @George Pwas referring to more the state of games being more online focussed. We've had some discussions in other topics about this :)

• Like 1

You realise that's actually true, people see a flashy trailer and hit preorder, it's why we've been getting below average games the last few years.

13 minutes ago, Slarlac249 said:

game looks like like any other twitch shooter, fast and annoying.

I've stopped pre-ordering, think the last time that I did was with Titanfall but that's because I played heavily through the beta testing and knew what I was getting myself in for. 

If I manage to try a game before it's released and it's worth the pre-order I see nothing wrong, but more often than not I'll wait a few months for the price to drop and pick up it up then. The only issue with that is that the servers are usually quieter so it's only the main game types that have players.

3 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

I've stopped pre-ordering, think the last time that I did was with Titanfall but that's because I played heavily through the beta testing and knew what I was getting myself in for. 

If I manage to try a game before it's released and it's worth the pre-order I see nothing wrong, but more often than not I'll wait a few months for the price to drop and pick up it up then. The only issue with that is that the servers are usually quieter so it's only the main game types that have players.

You probably won't believe me but the last game i pre-ordered was battlefield 3 and i wish i hadn't. I hate what dice/ea did to the series and i hate what they did to battefront....

4 minutes ago, Slarlac249 said:

You probably won't believe me but the last game i pre-ordered was battlefield 3 and i wish i hadn't. I hate what dice/ea did to the series and i hate what they did to battefront....

Doesn't surprise me. I know there are folk on Neowin that have a huge dislike of the pre-order culture. I realised that a while back and have probably pre-ordered 2/3 games in the last decade. 

Also because I can't resist a bargain and pick up games in the sales so have a huge backlog :p

11 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

Doesn't surprise me. I know there are folk on Neowin that have a huge dislike of the pre-order culture. I realised that a while back and have probably pre-ordered 2/3 games in the last decade. 

Also because I can't resist a bargain and pick up games in the sales so have a huge backlog :p

The loud anti preorder folk are on every oldschool forum I'm on.  I don't really care if people do or don't preorder but preaching at me isn't going to change anything.

I trust CliffyB to know what he's doing, the game looks and sounds fun, I miss UT (obviously,) and I want to play in the beta.  I usually only preorder same month and didn't realize it was that far out, but I'll live.

But hey I admit I do love the trailers.  :laugh:  (This E3 esports one isn't doing it for me, but the ones on the Steam page did.)

Edited by dwLostCat

2 minutes ago, dwLostCat said:

The loud anti preorder folk are on every oldschool forum I'm on.  I don't really care if people do or don't preorder but preaching at me isn't going to change anything.

I trust CliffyB to know what he's doing, the game looks and sounds fun, I miss UT (obviously,) and I want to play in the beta.  I usually only preorder same month and didn't realize it was that far out, but I'll live.

But hey I admit I do love the trailers.  :laugh:

And that's your prerogative. Naturally you can spend your money how you like, but haven't you ever pre-ordered and the game is a pile of poo? Does that not put you off pre-ordering until you've either had a chance to play or seen/read reviews?

Like I said I've been burned a few times by games not delivering or the price dropping significantly <6 months after release and me wondering why I bothered pre-ordering. 

Just now, dipsylalapo said:

And that's your prerogative. Naturally you can spend your money how you like, but haven't you ever pre-ordered and the game is a pile of poo? Does that not put you off pre-ordering until you've either had a chance to play or seen/read reviews?

I don't really know.  I don't preorder games unless I know I want to play them already.

I can't really point to many I've preordered that legitimately sucked, even the ones with the general consensus being poor (Arkham Knight, Simcity) I either finished or put a lot of time into.

1 minute ago, dwLostCat said:

I don't really know.  I don't preorder games unless I know I want to play them already.

I can't really point to many I've preordered that legitimately sucked, even the ones with the general consensus being poor (Arkham Knight, Simcity) I either finished or put a lot of time into.

But how can you know you want to play them already with just videos/trailers? :p

An example that I have is that Watch Dogs looked amazing from the stuff we go at E3 and other conventions like it. I didn't really complain about the graphical downgrade, because I figured that playing on my Xbox One it wasn't going to look as good. I picked it up a few months back in a sale and after playing it for a number of hours I'm glad that I didn't pre-order. It's decent game, but I would have felt a little hard done by if I'd paid the full price for it. Obviously the worth of something is completely subjective. 

8 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

But how can you know you want to play them already with just videos/trailers? :p

I think I covered that pretty well a few posts up.  Whether or not you trust the developer and/or publisher to make a fun game has a lot to do with it.

I'm probably even preordering the Xbox One X and I consider preordering hardware ridiculous.

3 minutes ago, dwLostCat said:

I think I covered that pretty well a few posts up.  Whether or not you trust the developer and/or publisher to make a fun game has a lot to do with it.

I'm probably even preordering the Xbox One X and I consider preordering hardware ridiculous.

Fair enough :)

I think that pre-ordering hardware has lower risks than software, but again for me, I had the Xbox One on day one, only to have Kinect support drop completely and the price drop by around £100. 

It's also worth mentioning if I don't actually like the beta or the game these days I can get a refund from EA or Valve, so that's actually pretty cool.  I have no idea if anyone else is doing that yet.

6 minutes ago, dwLostCat said:

It's also worth mentioning if I don't actually like the beta or the game these days I can get a refund from EA or Valve, so that's actually pretty cool.  I have no idea if anyone else is doing that yet.

I guess that's just on PC? I usually pre-order, play the beta and then cancel/keep depending on how I feel about the beta.

12 hours ago, dwLostCat said:

I was being more general to MP/Online/Co-op only games.  I'm forever a SP, story driven game fan.  I don't like to be forced into online, I don't see the point in all of it, I get bored after a while.  I got into games way back when because of the stories and getting drawn into them, not mindlessly running around a online map killing and being killed just to level up.

4 minutes ago, George P said:

I was being more general to MP/Online/Co-op only games.  I'm forever a SP, story driven game fan.  I don't like to be forced into online, I don't see the point in all of it, I get bored after a while.  I got into games way back when because of the stories and getting drawn into them, not mindlessly running around a online map killing and being killed just to level up.

Arena shooters don't really do the 'level up' crap...that's MOBA or BF/CoD stuff.

Fair enough though.

2 minutes ago, George P said:

I prefer SP games but only because the times that I play are so sporadic, it's difficult to put together a meaningful team/co-op partner. *insert forever alone meme*

There are a lot of games that just the mindless, with the likes of your BF, CoD or Titanfall, but then there are games like Destiny, Wildlands, The Division that have the same premise but are not as mindless and work well with small teams where you can co-ordinate attacks etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright first impressions of the beta: This is a lot of fun.  I suck at it, as expected.

I don't really like the assassins.  It's entirely too much effort to take them out.  But it makes things interesting.

I already like it a hell of a lot more than the Overwatch free weekend.

I'm not really sure if I've seen everything in the beta or not, only played around five matches so far.