Monitors... which size?

Hi,

Kitting out my new home office, need some monitors... at work i use 2x 24" monitors which seem "fine", but i'm going to order some bezel-less monitors, and wondering if people think i might regret not getting bigger panels?

I am not hugely interested in UHD, 4K etc... most of the work i do is development, database work and i game on the xbox downstairs so higher resolution is pretty much irrelvant

So, should i go with something larger than 24"... i'm keen not to see the pixels so worried if i do go larger, and don't go for UHD that it will irritate me...

Ta!

I would say that it largely depends on the space you have on your desk. My monitors can only be so big to fit with the shelves to one side. Without that restriction, it would just be cost... I would really like to wall mount, but that is still limited space. Planning on waiting for the next gen of video cards for 4K anyway, though.

I had a 27" 1080p monitor and it was a nightmare for the eyes. Only good for gaming and terrible for text.

If you are sticking with 1080p then keep it at 24"

My current 25" is QHD and I like it, everything is crisp.

1 hour ago, E.worm Jimmy said:

I had a 27" 1080p monitor and it was a nightmare for the eyes. Only good for gaming and terrible for text.

If you are sticking with 1080p then keep it at 24"

My current 25" is QHD and I like it, everything is crisp.

sounds good, i'll stick with the 24" for the moment... i use a universal dock for my laptop that also provides power (two cables!), that only currently connects via USB3 so i don't know if it will be able to cope with much more in terms of resolution...

maybe this is a good excuse to get usb-c/TB3 laptop so can charge too - although i absolutely cannot locate a universal dock that does USB-C Power Delivery AND multiple 4k monitors.... :)

Edit:

Found one! - https://www.owcdigital.com/products/thunderbolt-3-dock

Edited by BGM

6 hours ago, BGM said:

Hi,

Kitting out my new home office, need some monitors... at work i use 2x 24" monitors which seem "fine", but i'm going to order some bezel-less monitors, and wondering if people think i might regret not getting bigger panels?

I am not hugely interested in UHD, 4K etc... most of the work i do is development, database work and i game on the xbox downstairs so higher resolution is pretty much irrelvant

So, should i go with something larger than 24"... i'm keen not to see the pixels so worried if i do go larger, and don't go for UHD that it will irritate me...

Ta!

I’m a software developer and have three 25 inch QHD Dell Ultrasharps in the home office with one being vertical. It works out very well. 

a few years ago i used to have a 39" 4k tv as my monitor. it was big and beautiful, but simply too big. Sitting 2' away from it, i'd have to physically move my neck to see the corners of the screen.

Since then, i've downsized to a 29" (not sure) ultra-widescreen monitor that's 2560x1080. imo the days of 1920x1080 are over. i see no reason not to go w/ a higher resolution these days.  in my case, i couldnt justify the cost of a higher resolution monitor since i just dont use it all that often. i felt the 2560x1080 was a good trade off.