RT-AC66U Router: Proritise My computer over network, mainly gaming. QOS ?

Using the Router RT-AC66U I have the typical home network of kids and tablets watching Youtube, Fifa and Whatsapp, in the evening I may fancy some rocket league or Counter Strike but during the game my PING spikes to 400 or higher, leaving me lagging badly and basically unplayable. How do I go about stopping this and can I prioritize my computer over the network, to a reasonable level of performance. I'm not really sure the bandwidth requirements for the individual devices as there's, 2 phones at 1440p and 2 tablets at 1080p some nights watching Youtube and possibility of a couple of xboxs playing Fifa all depends.  Speedtest says I'm getting from my ISP 64Mbps and 12Mbps upload. Ive sort of dabbled with Qos but didn't appear to work, Id appriciate any help please and also how to test its working ? Or is my router / Internet not doing its job ?

Do you know which band your computer is connecting to? ie 5ghz or 2.4ghz? Are you on the newest firmware available? Also, did you manually set your channels for each band, or are they set to 'auto'? It sounds like interference to me, possibly your surrounding neighbors at night using their wifi as well because your internet speeds should handle your devices fine. Also double check you have the newest drivers for your computers wifi card, is this built in or added on via one of the USB sticks?

I would rule just not internet problem, and related to wifi - can you wire your machine to the router..  Do you still see the high latency?  When your seeing the high latency can you check to see if your pipe is full?  Ie all the bandwidth especially the upload that might be full or close to full?

Sorry for delay, Bed time routine.

Using AC-PCE AC68 Wireless it typical connects to 2.4ghz over 5ghz but I have options for both. Channel selection is AUTO set at 4 currently. Checking drivers as we speak. Sadly, wired isn't an option for my home, I'll try and test bandwidth usage.

Wired isn't even an option for testing to see if the high latency hits when wired?  When your seeing the issue, go plug into wire do you see it?  Then go back to wireless - is problem there only, etc.

Tbh there isn't the problem when I'm on my day off during the day. I'm not disputing that trying wired is a good idea, this same computer was wired in our previous residence and was fine then.

Had an engineer out, I was getting -12 readings, now in a better range and been given a Super Hub 3. Similar problem that with the SH3 5Ghz is 209mbs, but modem mode to my Router, I get 150mbs top on 5ghz. Ive read that the RT-AC66U may not be connecting at full 200mbs with the Super Hub3, how can i check and do anything about this ?

37 minutes ago, MillionVoltss said:

RT-AC66U may not be connecting at full 200mbs with the Super Hub3

Huh??  Your router to your modem?  Should be connecting at GIG..  If it was not then you wouldn't be able to hit 150..

So your just using the superhub as modem?  That is a gateway device..  Or are you using it as your gateway and the RT as just AP?

Thx again for a response. Im using the ASUS router as our main router ( required for wifi restrictions at bed time etc ) and the Super Hub is acting as just a modem.

Im hitting 150mbs on 5ghz net work on my Asus router. If i revert back to the Virgin Super Hub3 i get 209 mbs. Which is confusing.

Have you done a wireless scan in the neighbourhood to see which channel would be best? Auto isn't a good idea. Also did you disable the wifi on the Superhub if you're gonna be using the Asus for wifi?

You can get phone apps which will let you do a wifi scan to see which channels are clearest (least used).

So if you use the RT you get 150.. If you use the superhub as gateway so it provides everything wired and wireless you see 209.

Is that 150 and 209 wired or wireless?  If wireless there could be all kinds of things at play. 

If wired you sure your not double natting?  And the superhub is in bridge (modem only mode?)  The RT from benchmarks should be able to do 209 without any problem wireless any WAY more than wired.. But it comes down to your client, an lots of other things when wifi is concerned..

When you do this testing your using the same client?  And standing same distance from the units?  Too close is not always good!!  You really should check from where you most often would be using the wifi at - like your couch or in the kitchen, etc.

What bandwidth are you paying for again?

209mbs Wireless 5ghz SuperHub or 150mbs Wireless ghz Asus Router

Paying for 200mbs

< SUPERHUB in modem mode ( only one lan port and no wireless signal in this mode) > --LAN CABLE--> <Asus Router> -5GHZ Wireless-----> Device example i use s7 Edge

Plug in directly to the Asus box, forget WiFi for the moment, in fact disable the wireless.

Then see what's what.

Then you KNOW that the core stuff is solid and performing correctly, meaning you can move forward with that known and ticked off for sure and not just assumed.

Once that's done, bring your wireless back up and connect your device to that, on its own from somewhere not too close to the AP, and then try.

Also 5GHz is not necessarily a better choice

It's faster and has more range than 2.4Ghz, but only in the correct conditions, but in less desirable conditions it can be slower / struggle more than 2.4Ghz

It's tedious work with consumer kit as you're unlikely to have logging or monitoring that can help you skip steps, so you've got to go through them all.....

to get round this, i would go 1Gbps powerline adapter and keep my desktop wired ;) let the non bill payers argue over wifi :p

im on 70mbit FTTC with a plusnet hub one, a pair of gbps powerline adapters and rj45 right into my gb nic on desktop. all other device sin the house on 2.4 or 5ghz wifi my wired desktop gets bandwidth priority every time (QoS enabled) the ASus QoS is pretty decent, had a DSL-N16U before i went FTTC.

other half can be streaming 4k downstairs over 2.4 or 5Ghz, myself downloading throttled in steam at 40mbit and still game and get a ping of under 30. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06WRSHKC6/ref=pdp_new_dp_review

12 minutes ago, Mando said:

to get round this, i would go 1Gbps powerline adapter and keep my desktop wired ;) let the non bill payers argue over wifi :p

im on 70mbit FTTC with a plusnet hub one, a pair of gbps powerline adapters and rj45 right into my gb nic on desktop. all other device sin the house on 2.4 or 5ghz wifi my wired desktop gets bandwidth priority every time (QoS enabled) the ASus QoS is pretty decent, had a DSL-N16U before i went FTTC.

other half can be streaming 4k downstairs over 2.4 or 5Ghz, myself downloading throttled in steam at 40mbit and still game and get a ping of under 30. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06WRSHKC6/ref=pdp_new_dp_review

That's sort of what I did, I moved all the kids' equipment to a separate WiFi router that I can control (turn off etc) and leave the wired/wireless me and my wife use as unaffected.

There is a hardware NAT acceleration that might be disabled on that router.  I have one, but can't remember the name of the setting.  Maybe someone else can help out.  I think it will be limited to about that speed if it isn't enabled.

16 minutes ago, tmorris1 said:

There is a hardware NAT acceleration that might be disabled on that router.  I have one, but can't remember the name of the setting.  Maybe someone else can help out.  I think it will be limited to about that speed if it isn't enabled.

right enough. totally forgot about that option. that shouldnt have any affect on wifi speeds though. Budmans comment above is where its at on Asus routers.

also in windows (via device mgr) set the wireless nic roaming aggressiveness to its lowest setting, windows 10 periodically scans all other wireless networks to see if its better, this can cause spikes in ping of 250Ms +. Setting roaming aggressiveness to lowest value should eliminate that. thats a possible root cause to your games machines sporadic spikes in ping/latency.

I think it gets disabled if you turn on qos or IP accounting, etc.

Long time since I had to work with one of those POS home user things ;) hehehe