Heat Warmer Desktop

I remember, with my older computers, they got plenty hot. But my computer now doesn't get that hot.

Should I try an older computer, something that packs a lot of heat, or should I just get a "real" space heater?

I remember my C2D Quad being plenty hot.

I just thought of this... Is either cheaper or more expensive? I mean, it doesn't have to be a "great computer"...

Online, I saw many computers being used as space heaters. Just made me think...

yea, I mean the room can get warm with a PC ... but having one just for the purpose of heating a room ... no.  I do not see how a computer can possibly be more efficient (heat produced per watt) than a space heater.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Buttus said:

That's a pretty funny idea.   Put the CPU under your desk, fans blowing towards your feet, then fire up a graphics heavy FPS game. 

play a game and keep your feet warm at the same time!

and use a fat PS3 as a foot stool/warmer/foot massager :woot:

• Haha 1

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using a computer as a space heater if that provides satisfaction or enjoyment to you in any manner as a hobby. You can run Bitcoin mining on it or one of those Protein folding screen savers...

It will generate heat in direct relation to the CPU TDP figures which you can browse on this list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_CPU_power_dissipation_figures

To my eyes on a quick skim, the "Heating Champion" is a Itanium 2 MX2 at 260W

Some of the old GPUs also put out a lot of heat so well worth combining one of those.

If you use a glass case with lots of aftermarket lighting, you can get 3 functions out of one device:

1. Heater

2. Room lighting

3. Computer such as Bitcoin mining or Weather display or News scroller etc.

Build an amd fx9590 gaming rig with a minimum gtx1050i graphics and 16gigs of ram, then use a case just large enough to house it all, with a detachable side panel... 

As much as this IS a joke, my work/game rig built around a 6350 keeps my bedroom warm when gaming on ultra or extreme (game dependent) settings

1 hour ago, The Evil Overlord said:

Build an amd fx9590 gaming rig with a minimum gtx1050i graphics and 16gigs of ram, then use a case just large enough to house it all, with a detachable side panel... 

As much as this IS a joke, my work/game rig built around a 6350 keeps my bedroom warm when gaming on ultra or extreme (game dependent) settings

The 1050 is too efficient - only 75W TDP

You need a AMD R9 295X2 for 500W TDP

For NVIDIA, a GTX 590 at 365W TDP

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nvidia_graphics_processing_units

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_graphics_processing_units

• Like 1

Hello,

Here are some recent CPU models and their typical TDP (Thermal Design Power) wattage draw:

Intel Core i7-6800K - 140W

Intel Core I7-7740X - 112W

Intel Core i7-7800X - 140W

Intel Xeon E5-1650v3 - 140W

Intel Xeon E5-2623v3 - 105W

Intel Xeon E5-1630v4 - 140W

You did not mention a budget for the CPU, so I tried to pick ones in the $200-600 range.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, goretsky said:

Hello,

Here are some recent CPU models and their typical TDP (Thermal Design Power) wattage draw:

Intel Core i7-6800K - 140W

Intel Core I7-7740X - 112W

Intel Core i7-7800X - 140W

Intel Xeon E5-1650v3 - 140W

Intel Xeon E5-2623v3 - 105W

Intel Xeon E5-1630v4 - 140W

You did not mention a budget for the CPU, so I tried to pick ones in the $200-600 range.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Wow! Some actual Goretsky humor!

If you are going to build a state of the art computer space heater, why not go for some modern CPU vibes to increase the beautiful "WTF Jaw Dropping Majesty" of the project!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

First it would kill my electricity bill...

Just an idea. I'm not really "looking into this"

1 minute ago, Mindovermaster said:

Of course it will. If you're looking for efficiency then this thread is not the way forwards. But it does answer your question. Purchase a device suited for the job (i.e. a heater) or you're going to have to deal with the cost of inefficiency. There aren't other options, really.

6 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

Of course it will. If you're looking for efficiency then this thread is not the way forwards. But it does answer your question. Purchase a device suited for the job (i.e. a heater) or you're going to have to deal with the cost of inefficiency. There aren't other options, really.

"Just an idea" pretty much says that, but yes. I knew of the efficiency before I wrote this. Was just wondering if this was plausible. It looks not.

5 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

"Just an idea" pretty much says that, but yes. I knew of the efficiency before I wrote this. Was just wondering if this was plausible. It looks not.

Sorry if that came across as harsh, that wasn't my intention. But this is very much an idea of "can I do it?" Yes, you can do it. But it's not efficient. If efficiency is a concern you want to look for a different option. (Y)

• Like 1

On 12/9/2017 at 3:41 AM, DevTech said:

The 1050 is too efficient - only 75W TDP

You need a AMD R9 295X2 for 500W TDP

For NVIDIA, a GTX 590 at 365W TDP

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nvidia_graphics_processing_units

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_graphics_processing_units

+1 on AMD and the Nvidia 5xx (GTX) series. I had a 560 GTX Ultra and while it was also noisy, it tended to get quite hot.

17 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

Sorry if that came across as harsh, that wasn't my intention. But this is very much an idea of "can I do it?" Yes, you can do it. But it's not efficient. If efficiency is a concern you want to look for a different option. (Y)

Exactly :)

40 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Just an idea. I'm not really "looking into this"

Get a space heater. :)

In order for the computer to produce adequate heat...it needs to do some work (mining, Folding@Home, etc).

15 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Wonder if I can get all the Mods on here... :rofl:

2 minutes ago, Jim K said:

Only two mods :p

you rang? :p

17 minutes ago, Jim K said:

Get a space heater. :)

In order for the computer to produce adequate heat...it needs to do some work (mining, Folding@Home, etc).

oh my, haven't heard about Folding@Home in awhile

• Haha 2