werid popping noise when changing a headunit.

Hello guys... yesterday i purchased a new radio blaupunkt amsterdam 130 because i wanted more romm in my golf mk4. Befor this radio i had a jvc kw-r710 which was perfectly fine but i decidet to give it to my sister. I'm running 2 amp one for sub one for 2 speakers. With my jvc headunit everything was fine, then when i changed it to blaupunkt the popping noises started to show up :( ...amsterdam 130 has only 2 rca's so i'm usin y splitters. I already tried to connect only 2 rca's of my speakers withour sub and splitters and was the same. Then i tried only sub and you could still hear popping noises when changing tracks , folders, muting  or sources. It happens even if the volume is very low. Anyone got any idea what this could be? :/  In the future im planning to add an soundstream eq will that in any way help or?

7 minutes ago, sc302 said:

If when changing tracks/stations, return the radio. 

I was never a fan of blaupunk’d. Jvc was a better radio. 

This is my experience as well.  

Thanks for the responses guy i'll se what i can do. But im curious why did sometimes my jvc do the same thing when using aux and sometimes not whit the same cabel?

1 minute ago, Hariljox12 said:

Thanks for the responses guy i'll se what i can do. But im curious why did sometimes my jvc do the same thing when using aux and sometimes not whit the same cabel?

Might be a power or earth (ground) cable, or possibly a short, the only way to find out is to check your cables, if this is a set up you've installed yourself, then I'll be more convinced it'll be a wiring issue.

Problem is that blaupunkt radio has standard iso connector that my car has so it just plug and play situation..there were no wires includet in the box with hu. My 2 amps are both grouned on the same point under the back seat. Hu is using factory ground wire.

And also when playing tracks some notes are barely hearable... for example when leasining to The beatles song Yellow submarin at the begining you can only hear the voice of the singer and the instuments are barely hearable..

Return the radio. Either swap it out with same or go with a different brand, I would opt for a crappy audiovox over blaupunk’d.  They punk’d you into buying a radio with all of those fancy blinks lights. All I have ever heard from that brand is engine noise and sub par audio. Alpine, jvc, pioneer, sony, ken wood....even the cheapest garbage you can find at Walmart before that brand.  

5 hours ago, Hariljox12 said:

Garbage cables, perhaps a slightly cut cable, perhaps bad ground. 

Your op said it only did it after you installed new radio, so which is it???

1 hour ago, Mando said:

also try reducing the amps impedance, the blaupunkt may be sending different signal values than the JVC.

Reducing the amp impedance???

I'm guessing you mean bridging the output, that only works on amps with bridgeable outputs, (which I'm guessing this is not) most aftermarket amps usually only have RCA, and the high power input which is usually an input from car stereo speaker output, but seldom performs as well.

Today i took my driver speaker out to adjust brackets a little and when i connected the speaker and put it in place that loud pop cane right after i put the key in the egnition and then the front speakers werent working only sub... the when i put beter isolation tape on the both wires they were working again but popping was stil there...i cheched both amp grounding and they are both stil attached to the chasie..so is it maybe a radio or bad grounding for radio?

38 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

Reducing the amp impedance???

I'm guessing you mean bridging the output, that only works on amps with bridgeable outputs, (which I'm guessing this is not) most aftermarket amps usually only have RCA, and the high power input which is usually an input from car stereo speaker output, but seldom performs as well.

Better/high end radios you can do this.  Garbage/cheap radios (blaupunk’d) you can’t. 

You could change the impedance from 4 to 8 as well as how many amps you can push through the preouts. 

On my kenwood excelon I was able to for example, lower end radios did not have that ability.  Also the excelon only had RCA out, there was no option for a factory hookup, there was no internal amp. 

A current example of this type of model is the dnx694s. The one I had was 20 years ago but the same price range. 

I know basic stuff of electricity but im not that good hah... i will try to make another ground connection and the i will see how it plays..if that doesnt work i will try this radio in anither car and if its the same i will return it! :)

"Popping" is almost always due to some sort of grounding issue.  Since you have an amp for a sub, it's very important that you have a common grounding point for your amp, head unit, and battery.  Make sure every ground lug is touching bare metal, and not just connected to a painted over surface.  All solder points need to be sturdy and properly shrink wrapped.

The easiest thing to do is isolate and test one component at a time.  So disconnect the amp and sub, and just run the speakers and head unit.  Remove the grounding wire from the amp and remove the fuse on the power lead near the battery.  If the popping is still there, then the sub and amp isn't the issue.

Also, I'm not sure if using the head unit's internal amp plus a secondary amp, if that will cause problems.  If you can turn off the internal amp on your head unit, try that.

Last idea is that quality control maybe didn't play in your favor and you got a faulty head unit.  It happens with lower end brands unfortunately.  Faulty circuity internal to it are causing ground loops and there's not anything you can do to fix it.  Return and replace.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sc302 said:

Better/high end radios you can do this.  Garbage/cheap radios (blaupunk’d) you can’t. 

You could change the impedance from 4 to 8 as well as how many amps you can push through the preouts. 

On my kenwood excelon I was able to for example, lower end radios did not have that ability.  Also the excelon only had RCA out, there was no option for a factory hookup, there was no internal amp. 

A current example of this type of model is the dnx694s. The one I had was 20 years ago but the same price range. 

My pioneer (bought back in 2010, last aftermarket unit I ever had) had 6 pre outs, (2 front, 2 rear, 2sub) no built in power out (line outs only) I don't recall ever seeing an option to change the impedance, so that's a new one on me. (Y)

1 hour ago, Hariljox12 said:

i will try that tomorow .. hopfully it's not the headunit

Are you using any old, generic cable to power your amp?

Because I would advise you to stop. Buy yourself a decent amp wiring kit, household wiring CAN power up the amp, but cannot cope with the loads when the volume is high. You will here a strange buzz before the amp cuts out momentarily.

5 hours ago, Mando said:

also try reducing the amps impedance, the blaupunkt may be sending different signal values than the JVC.

I believe that the MK4 has a factory amp located in the rear just forward of the tail-light fixture, if that is still hooked up it could be causing your issue.... You basically have an amp feeding an amp.