Computer Antivirus Question for 2018

Question

Hi All

Currently Running Avast Free 17.9.2322, debating on keeping it, or finally using Defender with Malwarebytes Free, can't afford Malwarebytes Paid,  Normal Acitivies is sometimes online shopping, video editing and encoding at times, Gaming, Music listening, nothing too much i don't think,  worried on Meltdown and Spectre to though so not sure if i should use Defender or stick with Avast in that term of things as well,  I just  know can't keep switching so have to make a final decision and then stick to it

4 answers to this question

Choice of AV is really more of a subjective thing, I find. At the level you're talking about, almost all of them will work fine. I still use Avast Premiere on my machine and Avast Free on things I'm working on. Maybe it is better in some areas, maybe worse, but I know how it works. I really like the Outlook plugin, at least. I don't see enough information to conclude that switching to anything would be more worthwhile.

Longer discussion in this thread

Yeah thinks might just remain where at after all, probably didn't need to even ask this question, but guess doesn't hurt to ask, one game seems to hog memory at times, but i think it's the game itself, and not related to Antivrus now at all

Game is Secondlife, with 3rd party viewer, using about 3gbs close to 4gbs of my 8gb of ram,  with Edge using some too, was up to 95 percent in use, and system got a little sluggish, but think its ok now lol

Avast does have the Game Mode which I find helps, but like I said, I haven't tried all of the newest versions.

Yeah well thanks for replying to this question anyhow, thinks will avoid the hassle of reconfiguring things, and remain where at this point