ASUS PCE-AC55BT not showing support for 802.11ac under Windows 7 64-bit

I have a ASUS PCE-AC55BT https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/PCE-AC55BT/

No matter what I do and no matter how many drivers I try, I cannot get it to connect with 802.11ac, in fact when I do "netsh wlan show drivers" in cmd this is what I get:

FKKf8Zx.jpg

I've tried the drivers from ASUS, which is just a wrapper for the Intel proset drivers, in a convenient 1.5gb package for some inexplicable reason, and the new drivers from Intel.

What gives?

So you think the raido type supported should show ac or something??

Sorry but that is not the case..  It showing you the .11a means it can talk at 5ghz..

Why is you think its not connecting with AC..  Here is my driver.. See no listing of ac in the radio types... But as you can see its connected at 1.3Gbps PHY... See this both on the client itself and the my wifi controller softrware..

acmode.thumb.png.2e8bd1c00d232d53a41285e4471d9ade.png

So lets work out what you believe your connecting at..  If you look at output of netsh wlan show all you can see your connection speed, and what the ssid is capable of, etc..  See showing the 1300 connection and when I scroll down and pick out the ssid connected at can see it lists AC, etc.

showwlanall.thumb.png.c1f7276b41db3f8c38201c969dfdf796.png

What are we working with for a router?  And how do you have it setup - do you have other devices that are connecting at AC speeds?

Hi, thank you for your reply..

The router is a Pace Plc 5268AC bundled with my U-verse service, which I'm not crazy about either but it's between that and Spectrum in my area and neither are great here.  The service is 100mbits/s tho.

I'm probably going to turn off the wifi on this and use another router in the future but I thought I'd try to get this working.

The router is supposed to support 802.11ac anyways

0bwxAzu.jpg

My PC currently when I run netsh wlan show all:

5lIALUw.jpg

So it's definitely not connecting with 802.11ac..  and further down..

Kqjdhd9.jpg

So for this PC it says that the SSID isn't capable of 802.11ac..  but on my laptop I can connect w/ 802.11ac and I get this..

zdGrLqx.png

So the router is capable and other devices can connect, but this PC with the Asus card cannot see it..

Edited by etherdesign
additional information

What your channel width set to for your 5ghz 20, 40 or 80?

Also looks like your runnin your 2.4 on channel 8?  Not a good selection - only valid channels are 1, 6 and 11 for 2.4 that do not overlap.

Do you maybe have you pc set to only 2.4?

Lets look at your driver settings on your pc wlan nic

modes.thumb.png.03fde5c8c17e6069e5cb7cf5cd02247b.png

You can see your connected to the 2.4 channel 8 - so yeah no AC..

Also some clients have a problem going with the 5ghz N or AC when using the same SSID... Can you break it out to use different SSID for your 2.4 and 5ghz bands... Can your PC then even see the 5ghz band ssid.

Could be your set to prefer the 2.4 band - see that Band Pref option in the driver.

bandpref.thumb.png.d70394fa49d31812f4ee02e534e546c6.png

I'll change the 2.4GHz channel to 11..  My 5GHz is set to 80MHz for the channel width..

I have my driver settings set up as so: Intel recommend for this card for 802.11ac:  https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024678/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html

Nowhere in the driver setup is 802.11ac even mentioned, even though this card should be capable of it.

driver prob not going to show ac... Do you see in the driver ac VHT mode?

vhtmode.thumb.png.9f29489de6a65531e77dcb14d2843e44.png

You need to look at what your band pref is set to and would recommend split your ssid in different for 2.4 and 5 - you were connecting at 2.4 because a 5ghz band channel would be say 36 or higher.. Create a ssid that is 2.4 only say ssid-24 and another ssid like ssid-5 so you know for sure your client is even seeing the 5ghz band... If you do not connect to 5 it would not be possible to do AC since AC is only 5ghz..