Players, 

Today, I finally get to talk to you about our vision and roadmap for 2018. We have come a long way over the past 2 years and have learned so much. We’ve done a lot of planning over the last two months, and today we reveal how we want PUBG to evolve in 2018. We’ve worked hard over the past 2 years to build a good foundation for the most realistic Battle Royale experience out there. This year we plan to build on that foundation and really start to polish our features, squash the remaining bugs and expand the game even further.

When we came out of Steam Early Access, we told you that it was just the beginning of our journey. This year we’re committing to a major content delivery cycle every two months, the first of which is planned for this month. Each of these major updates will bring changes to specific systems and/or introduce new content. Smaller updates between the major ones will also continue throughout the year. 

This year we want to involve our players in the ongoing development of PUBG even more than before, and to aid with this we plan to open an Experimental Test Server so we can get your valuable feedback on our feature/content development cycle sooner and for you to have a real impact on how our game changes and develops going forward. 

It is also our aim to continually upgrade the game’s aesthetic side, and today we want to share some before/after images showing work the art team has been doing to improve the way houses are rendered in the game.

Now onto the Roadmap proper. Please keep in mind that everything below is subject to change, and is still very much a work in progress. With that in mind, let’s get into the specifics!

New Content and Gameplay

Next month we will be deploying a new, 4x4km island map on our Experimental Test Server for you to try out. It’s a much smaller map and should give you all a much more intense and faster paced Battle Royale experience. It will offer a higher player density and shorter matches and we want to get it into your hands early this time around so we can use your input to make it a great experience for everyone. 

YBzmA0I.jpg

Continues...

I need to give PUBG and Fornite a go and see what the hype is about. 

2 hours ago, dipsylalapo said:

FYI PUBG is <£10 at Shopto, although I think it's on back order right now. And Fortnite PvP is F2P anyway, so easy enough to jump in anytime :p

5 minutes ago, Andrew said:

FYI PUBG is <£10 at Shopto, although I think it's on back order right now. And Fortnite PvP is F2P anyway, so easy enough to jump in anytime :p

Yeah I did a quick search and saw that deal....very tempting!

Keep in mind that the map above is PC roadmap, Xbox doesn't have Miramar yet and I believe there is a snow map coming to PC soon before the above one so this is way down the line for Xbox.

On 09/03/2018 at 8:52 AM, dipsylalapo said:

Fornite I never got on with, the game basically felt like in the early game you had to play jump and shotgun with the latter game feeling like quick base building and rocket launchers to win. 

PUBG, however, has me fully addicted. I'm not the best player in the world but I've managed a few wins, one solo, a few Duos and one maybe two squads. I can't describe why I enjoy it, in some ways it's very repetitive on one side but no game ever seems to feel the same for me.

Also, CDKeys has PUBG for £15.99 with a LIMITED OFFER: Receive a complimentary Assassin's Creed Unity Xbox One key with every purchase of this game.

1 hour ago, Skiver said:

Keep in mind that the map above is PC roadmap, Xbox doesn't have Miramar yet and I believe there is a snow map coming to PC soon before the above one so this is way down the line for Xbox.

Fornite I never got on with, the game basically felt like in the early game you had to play jump and shotgun with the latter game feeling like quick base building and rocket launchers to win. 

PUBG, however, has me fully addicted. I'm not the best player in the world but I've managed a few wins, one solo, a few Duos and one maybe two squads. I can't describe why I enjoy it, in some ways it's very repetitive on one side but no game ever seems to feel the same for me.

Also, CDKeys has PUBG for £15.99 with a LIMITED OFFER: Receive a complimentary Assassin's Creed Unity Xbox One key with every purchase of this game.

I watched a review and I didn't like the look of it. For Xbox at least, it seems massively un-optimised (not just performance, but also from UI/controls). 

I didn't see anything on the review, but I may have to watch a few more, on progression and the point/need to win. Does it unlock better weapons or something? For now, I'll be passing, but one to keep an eye on. 

10 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

I watched a review and I didn't like the look of it. For Xbox at least, it seems massively un-optimised (not just performance, but also from UI/controls). 

I didn't see anything on the review, but I may have to watch a few more, on progression and the point/need to win. Does it unlock better weapons or something? For now, I'll be passing, but one to keep an eye on. 

Do you have an OG Xbox, S or an X?

The former two have some performance issues, as I understand it. it's more to do with rendering speeds within the first minute that is a big problem. The below video highlights the differences and the benefits of running an SSD - not what I'd class as a fix. I don't think they get as high and constant FPS as the X does also but I've not played on those consoles to know how big of a problem it is. I think a recent review put the former two at an average of low 20-25 fps whereas the X was around 27 - 30 fps. On the X we did have a recent patch that caused some serious FPS drops that made it very difficult to play at times but this is a Game Preview so it's never going to be perfect. The latest patch did seem to fix that and it's running nicely for me but that doesn't mean they won't break it again in the future.

Progression? There is none. Need to Win? Technically there isn't one either. You'll get more Battlepoints for doing it, the battle points can be spent on "crates" that drop cosmetic items but it's RNG and be prepared to get the same items over and over.

I honestly can't give a reason as to why I love it, it wasn't too long ago I was talking to someone and I literally couldn't find a way to describe why I love it so much. I think at the time I had about 60 hours playtime and had only won 4 times, aka 1 win every 15 hours as an average for me. That sounds horrendous if someone was to describe another game with those kinds of stats but no game feels the same despite a lack of any real variation. 

Unlike most FPP/TPP games it has no aim assist so at first you'll struggle but as you get better and start learning the lead distance and bullet drop you start to get those hits, then the knocks and eventually the kills it does give you a sense of achievement. I'd suggest maybe trying to find some streamers and watching them, that's what got me interested in the first place.

22 minutes ago, Skiver said:

Do you have an OG Xbox, S or an X?

The former two have some performance issues, as I understand it. it's more to do with rendering speeds within the first minute that is a big problem. The below video highlights the differences and the benefits of running an SSD - not what I'd class as a fix. I don't think they get as high and constant FPS as the X does also but I've not played on those consoles to know how big of a problem it is. I think a recent review put the former two at an average of low 20-25 fps whereas the X was around 27 - 30 fps. On the X we did have a recent patch that caused some serious FPS drops that made it very difficult to play at times but this is a Game Preview so it's never going to be perfect. The latest patch did seem to fix that and it's running nicely for me but that doesn't mean they won't break it again in the future.

Progression? There is none. Need to Win? Technically there isn't one either. You'll get more Battlepoints for doing it, the battle points can be spent on "crates" that drop cosmetic items but it's RNG and be prepared to get the same items over and over.

I honestly can't give a reason as to why I love it, it wasn't too long ago I was talking to someone and I literally couldn't find a way to describe why I love it so much. I think at the time I had about 60 hours playtime and had only won 4 times, aka 1 win every 15 hours as an average for me. That sounds horrendous if someone was to describe another game with those kinds of stats but no game feels the same despite a lack of any real variation. 

Unlike most FPP/TPP games it has no aim assist so at first you'll struggle but as you get better and start learning the lead distance and bullet drop you start to get those hits, then the knocks and eventually the kills it does give you a sense of achievement. I'd suggest maybe trying to find some streamers and watching them, that's what got me interested in the first place.

I recently upgraded to the S, with my limited play time now I couldn't justify the X. Thanks, that's good to know. 

Yeah see, it's all that stuff that puts me off. Like you don't know why you love it so much, I don't think I could play without seeing some proper progression. It may be one of those things that I need to play to 'get', but I'll probably wait until it pops up on one of FreePlay weekends. I may watch a few streams and see what I think. 

Besides, like people with Steam libraries, I have so much just sat on my HDD that I don't need to add another game that I wouldn't play that often :p

15 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

I recently upgraded to the S, with my limited play time now I couldn't justify the X. Thanks, that's good to know. 

Yeah see, it's all that stuff that puts me off. Like you don't know why you love it so much, I don't think I could play without seeing some proper progression. It may be one of those things that I need to play to 'get', but I'll probably wait until it pops up on one of FreePlay weekends. I may watch a few streams and see what I think. 

Besides, like people with Steam libraries, I have so much just sat on my HDD that I don't need to add another game that I wouldn't play that often :p

Progression doesn't really make sense in this.

Everyone starts on a level playing field - AKA no weapons. You have to drop to a location on the planes flight path and look for weapons and kit to be able to survive. As you start with nothing but the clothes on your back (if you even choose to wear clothes) then there's nothing to really unlock.

I think it's the satisfaction when you get a kill, knowing it's not that easy to get one. The tense endgame side where you are struggling to stay within the playable area knowing you're slowly being pushed closer and closer to other players. I've literally finished games pretty much shaking because of a rush of adrenaline due to how tense some of those games can go. 

1 minute ago, Skiver said:

Progression doesn't really make sense in this.

Everyone starts on a level playing field - AKA no weapons. You have to drop to a location on the planes flight path and look for weapons and kit to be able to survive. As you start with nothing but the clothes on your back (if you even choose to wear clothes) then there's nothing to really unlock.

I think it's the satisfaction when you get a kill, knowing it's not that easy to get one. The tense endgame side where you are struggling to stay within the playable area knowing you're slowly being pushed closer and closer to other players. I've literally finished games pretty much shaking because of a rush of adrenaline due to how tense some of those games can go. 

Yeah when you describe it like that, it does make more sense to not have any traditional progression. How long to games often last? I guess with the whole thing on the shrinking field of play does mean that it ends at some point. 

I really will have to check out some gameplay videos.

8 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

Yeah when you describe it like that, it does make more sense to not have any traditional progression. How long to games often last? I guess with the whole thing on the shrinking field of play does mean that it ends at some point. 

I really will have to check out some gameplay videos.

I think my average life was somewhere around 15-20 minutes. Some games you can be dead within the first minute or so, others that you last to top ten are typically minutes I believe.

Yep, a game can never go on forever, every 2-3 minutes you're being pushed together, sometimes you can get lucky and never have to move due to circles. Other games you spend most of it running from the blue circle of death for pretty much the entire game. 

I think that's why it feels different each time, plane route is always different so you're not really landing the same place each time, although you will develop favourites that you aim for. The circles will always shrink to different places, forcing you to take different routes etc.

On Friday me and a friend won a duo's match, we were aiming to land at our fav spot but realised very early that we were never going to make it. We decided to drop to a small cluster of houses to just do our best, seems another 4 decided to do the same. I got a VSS (It's OK but not the best sniper, uses 9mm but it comes with a scope and is silenced) and my friend found an M16 and Shotgun. We managed to take out 3 of the 4 between us but it meant I was then left with 1 bullet in my sniper and no houses to loot in sight. He loaned me the shotgun so I could at least fight if there were people at the next building we looted. I found some more ammo for my VSS and a new AR, we held the building to see where the next shrink would go when I just managed to notice two guys creeping up on our building. I knocked one down whilst my first pushed outside and took down the other and they had just about everything we could ever dream of! I switched to my new favourite load out of a M4 running Red Dot for close range and an M16 with a 4x ACOG and silenced for range. We moved to the final circle, had a small fight which my friend killed both members of the duo's but got knocked in the process. I managed to pick him up just as the circle moved in on us and we took cover behind some tree's whilst we tried to locate the last two people alive. Thankfully the circle was good to us and meant the others who had nice cover in some buildings had to run towards us, I knocked one down and my friend finished the other and won us the game.

We literally went from having nothing to having not only the guns but the luck of the circle on our side with a nice 4 kills each to win the game :D

• 1 month later...

@SkiverSo at the weekend, I was finally able to give PUBG a whirl (they had a free play weekend on Xbox). 

My thoughts/opinions. I can definitely see why it's addictive. I mainly played the SP and enjoyed what I saw. I had a mixture of games where I made it to the last 20(ish) and then others where I was killed soon after landing. I know I originally didn't like the whole lack of progression thing and whilst I'm still not a fan, the whole concept of everyone going in on a level playing field and just picking up weapons and bits is actually quite exciting. 

My first few games were a little difficult to get into, there's no tutorial and I didn't have a phone/laptop nearby to see how to actually play! But once I got used to the basic controls it was much easier. 

My biggest bug bear and it's probably the thing that'll stop me buying, it still feels very optimised for the Xbox. The game whilst big is not exactly pretty and there was a lot of pop up even to the point  where there would be a lag in the menu. If they ever move the game out of Game Preview or release PUBG 2 then I'd may be bite, but for now, I'll sit tight unless someone gives it to me :p

3 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

@SkiverSo at the weekend, I was finally able to give PUBG a whirl (they had a free play weekend on Xbox). 

My thoughts/opinions. I can definitely see why it's addictive. I mainly played the SP and enjoyed what I saw. I had a mixture of games where I made it to the last 20(ish) and then others where I was killed soon after landing. I know I originally didn't like the whole lack of progression thing and whilst I'm still not a fan, the whole concept of everyone going in on a level playing field and just picking up weapons and bits is actually quite exciting. 

My first few games were a little difficult to get into, there's no tutorial and I didn't have a phone/laptop nearby to see how to actually play! But once I got used to the basic controls it was much easier. 

My biggest bug bear and it's probably the thing that'll stop me buying, it still feels very optimised for the Xbox. The game whilst big is not exactly pretty and there was a lot of pop up even to the point  where there would be a lag in the menu. If they ever move the game out of Game Preview or release PUBG 2 then I'd may be bite, but for now, I'll sit tight unless someone gives it to me :p

Solo is probably one game mode I avoid, I get myself too stressed out for that. I've won a few times but usually, after a win, I have to give myself 5 minutes to chill.

It has a very very steep learning curve, I watch a lot of one streamer on Twitch that plays on PC but I had a very good idea of how to play, where to drop etc before my first game but I cannot imagine going in fresh.

Are you running on an OG or S Xbox? I suspect you are, the pop up, texture loading is far worse on the older generation consoles but the optimization still needs ALOT of work.

11 minutes ago, Skiver said:

Solo is probably one game mode I avoid, I get myself too stressed out for that. I've won a few times but usually, after a win, I have to give myself 5 minutes to chill.

It has a very very steep learning curve, I watch a lot of one streamer on Twitch that plays on PC but I had a very good idea of how to play, where to drop etc before my first game but I cannot imagine going in fresh.

Are you running on an OG or S Xbox? I suspect you are, the pop up, texture loading is far worse on the older generation consoles but the optimization still needs ALOT of work.

It definitely had my heart racing!

I need to get with the times and not rely on YouTube and written guides for game advice. 

Running an S here, hopefully it'll get the TLC it needs with the recent money that no doubt is being poured into it from MS. 

1 minute ago, dipsylalapo said:

It definitely had my heart racing!

I need to get with the times and not rely on YouTube and written guides for game advice. 

Running an S here, hopefully it'll get the TLC it needs with the recent money that no doubt is being poured into it from MS. 

I have a horrible feeling that they'll never get it optimized enough without dumbing it down a hell of a lot more.

Duo's are my preferred games, I find them less stressful as you've always got someone watching your back etc. 

• Like 1