Quick VM Question

So, I have some legacy software at work that will only work on a 32bit system.  So I need to load a Winx32 bit OS on a VM on Windows 10x64.  Question is, if I install a Win7 VM on a Win10 OS, will I would need to have a license for Win7, correct?   I know back with XP MODE on Win7, you didnt need a separate license for XP.

you will need a separate license if you intend to use the VM long term and in any sort of production capacity. if youre just testing something you could get away w/ using it for the valid eval period.

1 hour ago, Jason S. said:

you will need a separate license if you intend to use the VM long term and in any sort of production capacity. if youre just testing something you could get away w/ using it for the valid eval period.

Yea, what I thought.  Going to be permanent VM on some machines.   Thanks

Licensing is always something I try to stay clear of, it hurts my head. However, I thought (maybe dependant on the version of Win 7 you are running) that you were entitled to run a small amount of VMs that would be covered under the host license?

I'm not sure if that covers running older Operating systems though but may be worth looking into it. It may be cheaper to upgrade your Win 7 edition to Pro, for example, to cover a few guest VMs rather than have to purchase a new license? 

1 hour ago, techbeck said:

Yea, what I thought.  Going to be permanent VM on some machines.   Thanks

yep deffo needs a COA or VLK to stay legit.