No video on resume from sleep

As stated in topic title, system powers up (fan, power LED), but monitor light stays orange.

I have to hold down power button until the system powers down, then restart, in order to regain video.

Things I have tried:

- Disable fast start.

- Disable hibernation.

- Uncheck all "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" entries in Device Manager.

- In Advanced Power Settings, turn off Link State Power Management.

- Most "solutions" found on the Internet basically involve the above.

Stumped.

Note that this happened after a clean install. Was working fine through successive upgrades (17xx, 1804).

One other weird thing is that if I click "Sleep" on the Start Menu power options, the system reboots and resets all my bios settings to default.

This means that boot fails, because the AHCI setting reverts to IDE.

After manually changing things back to how they were, system works fine (well, except for sleep resume).

The only things I change from default in the BIOS is Full Screen Logo Display (set to disabled) and the above mentioned AHCI.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-H97M-D3HP-rev-10#ov
Core i5 4460 CPU 3.2 GHz
16 GB RAM 4 DIMMs x 4GB
Kingston SV300 120GB SSD as boot drive
WD Green 1TB HDD
Windows 10 1804 x64

Windows 10 1809 x64 in a VM on the same machine works fine.

Hello,

I see this periodically occur on various computers.  It may be tied to the motherboard chipset or video card's device drivers.  Check to make sure you have the latest versions of those installed.  In the case of the motherboard drivers, if nothing is showing up as nwere, you may have to go into Device Manager (filename: DEVMGMT.MSC), select View Show → Hidden Devices, navigate to the System Devices section, expand the System Devices tree, and then right-click on each item and select Update Driver → Search Automatically for Updated Driver Software to see if a new device driver is available for that device in the Windows Update Catalog.  This can take some time to manually, but unfortunately I haven't found a way to automate this yet.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thank you for your response.

I followed your instructions, but for each request to update the driver, the response from Windows was " The best driver is already installed".

Again, thank you.

Hello,

Have you checked with Gigabyte to make sure you have the latest UEFI (BIOS) firmware installed?  Also, if you are using the on-board graphics from your Intel CPU, check with their support to verify you have the latest driver installed, or if it is installed, if there are any known issues with the current version of the driver and with sleep under your version of Windows 10.  

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky