Wifi Setup At Home (Large bathroom mirror blocking signal)

So I recently moved into a new condo, and setting up the wifi with my TP-Link AC1200 I noticed that in the master bedroom the wifi signal was extremely spotty and slow. To give an idea of the layout and where I have my router currently set up:

The router is downstairs near the tv, just on the left. In this space the wifi speeds are ~60-80mb/s:

Ed6WGyIl.jpg?1

There's a guest bedroom between the master and the main living space on the second floor (1 is master, 2 is guest bedroom):

FCqAJeCl.jpg?2

twxcFLEl.jpg?2

Once in the master, there's a large bathroom mirror between the main bedroom area, and I have confirmed that at this point wifi speed is ~20-30mb/s.

uX7Eqx1l.jpg

Then, in the main bedroom area the speeds range from ~3mb/s to no signal at all:

EcPhQhfl.jpg

Now that the context has been laid out, I was wondering what my options here are for fixing this problem and what others might think are the best solutions. One of my priorities is to have fast transfer speeds in the main living area (for streaming between connected devices such as phones to the tv, surface to miricast, etc) and I am not sure what the best configuration/hardware is for that.

So the choices I've narrowed down are:

• Run ethernet and just have two separate wifi networks
  • Run ethernet and replace my existing system with a mesh system (not sure if any of them will have the same throughput as my current router does).
  • Get an extender and attempt to find a better spot for it.

I have tried moving the router to different locations, however the heaviest use is always going to be in the main living area. I don't mind slower speeds in the bedroom, but going from ~60-80mb/s to 0-3mb/s (with constant disconnects) is just unbearable. Any suggestions on this problem? I'm not really sure this is entirely the right place though it is definitely a networking issue (though not a cloud issue).

Can I just confirm that this is with 2.4GHz Wifi yeah? If that is the case you might want to consider investing in a TP-Link Homeplug system, it is what I use for upstairs to ensure a proper stable signal (for Plex which needs lots of pipe) the homeplug system typically comes in a set of two which you can add as many more as you like to, the access point is connected to the router via LAN and then the second point can be anywhere so long as it is on the same power network and you'll get the full speed for which is supported by the Homeplug and network :) 

I have the european equivalent of this https://www.tp-link.com/us/download/TL-WPA4530-KIT.html, no arsing about with running cables and it just works 😛 

PS: If you are trying to use 5GHz everywhere then you will get spotty signals, since it doesn't go through walls very well or far.

• Like 2

I don't know if you're aware but the router should be higher up in the house and as close to the center as possible. If that's not doable, maybe a mesh system is the way to go with one near the bedroom. Having the router where you do won't work as well as having it higher in the house. I moved ours out to a landing at the top of the stairs and it made all the difference. Good luck.

2 hours ago, Steven P. said:

Can I just confirm that this is with 2.4GHz Wifi yeah? If that is the case you might want to consider investing in a TP-Link Homeplug system, it is what I use for upstairs to ensure a proper stable signal (for Plex which needs lots of pipe) the homeplug system typically comes in a set of two which you can add as many more as you like to, the access point is connected to the router via LAN and then the second point can be anywhere so long as it is on the same power network and you'll get the full speed for which is supported by the Homeplug and network :) 

I have the european equivalent of this https://www.tp-link.com/us/download/TL-WPA4530-KIT.html, no arsing about with running cables and it just works 😛 

PS: If you are trying to use 5GHz everywhere then you will get spotty signals, since it doesn't go through walls very well or far.

Something like this? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0725LPTZR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_anF9BbFX3HAWE

50 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Personally, I’d be running 2-3 APs with an Ethernet backhaul, and then put them on the same SSID but not interfering channels. 

I'm not entirely sure how you would set that up, can you be a little more specific about what an Ethernet backhaul is as well?

1 hour ago, adrynalyne said:

Personally, I’d be running 2-3 APs with an Ethernet backhaul, and then put them on the same SSID but not interfering channels. 

This right here!

I would not recommend going with an extender @Emn1ty. Throwing in 2-3 AP's, maybe running them on low power, will give you much better wireless performance. I run two Unify AC-Pro's from Ubiquiti, house size approximately 4000 square feet (one on each floor), and I get coverage throughout. I use all Ubiquiti products; router/switch/AP's.

5 hours ago, Steven P. said:

how wierd for the 5ghz statement, i find in my house the 2.4 is unreliable and my 5ghz always has the most distance and throughput and signal

25 minutes ago, JHBrown said:

This right here!

I would not recommend going with an extender @Emn1ty. Throwing in 2-3 AP's, maybe running them on low power, will give you much better wireless performance. I run two Unify AC-Pro's from Ubiquiti, house size approximately 4000 square feet (one on each floor), and I get coverage throughout. I use all Ubiquiti products; router/switch/AP's.

I think we use those at work as well, I'll take a look into them and hope they're not too cost prohibitive.

Also, how would you recommend I go about using them? Are they compatible with my existing router? I am really not familiar with anything beyond a single router setup network wise.

19 minutes ago, Emn1ty said:

I think we use those at work as well, I'll take a look into them and hope they're not too cost prohibitive.

Also, how would you recommend I go about using them? Are they compatible with my existing router? I am really not familiar with anything beyond a single router setup network wise.

Yep, they are compatible. Simply

turn off the AP in the router and use it as a wired router. Then hook these APs to it and there is a mobile app you can use to configure them or run the Unifi Controller. Heck you can just extend upstairs with the unifi AP and use the existing one downstairs. 

26 minutes ago, DKAngel said:

how wierd for the 5ghz statement, i find in my house the 2.4 is unreliable and my 5ghz always has the most distance and throughput and signal

Shouldn’t be too weird as it’s 100% true. 5ghz has the worst penetration and range of the two, barring outside WiFi interference. 

5ghz range is going to be less than 2.4.. While 5ghz is faster its range is not as far..

If you can run a wire - then yes that is what your going to want to do.. Run the wires to your router switch ports, or get another switch if you need more ports... Connect either cheap soho routers as just AP.. Setting them all to the same SSID... Or get rule AP.. The unifi stuff is fantastic and are POE... So you only need to connect them to the ethernet you run.. No need for extra powerline..

Or just change out your router with with a mesh router and AP... Say google or orbi or https://amplifi.com/

Which is the unifi consumer grade stuff... But much better to run true AP from them.. Say https://unifi-nanohd.ubnt.com/

I have a LR and it gets signal 4 houses down from where I am.

New house will get 2x HDs just because.

I highly recommend anything Ubiquiti as they make amazing hardware for cheap.

5 hours ago, farmeunit said:

I really like Powerline Adapters.  Some have wife built-in.  

Where you get one with a wife? :laugh: 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Emn1ty said:

Something like this? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0725LPTZR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_anF9BbFX3HAWE

I'm not entirely sure how you would set that up, can you be a little more specific about what an Ethernet backhaul is as well?

I think people tend to really overthink this stuff!

FACT 1 - WIRES are way faster than wireless.

FACT 2 - Wifi(wireless) is a RADIO connected to an ANTENNA which follows LAWS OF PHYSICS which is mainly 2 things of interest:

2 A) LINE OF SIGHT - The receiving RADIO needs to directly see the transmitting RADIO.

2 B) INVERSE SQUARE LAW - The signal strength drops off as the inverse square of the distance (outside of focused beams etc)

FACT 3 - Unlike WIRES, radios exist in a common space and interfere with each other. 2.4 ghz is used by all your neighbors, bluetooth, microwaves, and the black helicopters, so it can be really crowded an unpredictable. Use 5 Ghz. 

Simple FACTS suggests the following plan for most situations, easy as 1-2-3

STEP 1 - Buy a large Gigabit Switch of 24 to 48 ports.

STEP 2 - Run WIRE to everything you can. Fast and reliable by far. Fortune favors everyone who can stop at this step!

STEP 3 - Whatever is left over has to obey FACT 2 - Antennas need to see each other and be reasonably close. The higher the frequency, the weaker the signal, but higher bandwidth.

Use lots of 5 Ghz transmitters, enough to get close line of sight to every possible device that needs it. Use a DIFFERENT CHANNEL for each transmitter. Don't use mesh, run a WIRE to each access point.

14 hours ago, Emn1ty said:

Yeah but you want to avoid extending the wifi, get a powerline that requires an AP from the router and then routes the ethernet through your power grid https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MTNKNPZ

I use the Ethernet ports on my powerlines for Plex, because on Wifi it kept dropping out or buffering. In any case if you make a purchase best to do it right :)

If you can not run a wire - you can try powerline adapters the current tech is heads over heals faster then when they first came out..

And I concur - when possible run a wire to devices that do not move!!!

If that TV your thinking of getting with smart apps does not have a ethernet port and only wireless - don't get that TV! ;) etc..

The devices you take off wireless because they don't move, just leave more bandwidth for devices that need it like phones and tablets and iot devices that don't have wired even though they don't move.. I wish my nest therm and protect could be wired vs wireless for example!!  It cost pennies to add a nic to such devices.. It doesn't have to be 10ge for gosh sake.. ###### for such devices 10mbit would be fine ;)

As to multiple AP - also good advice.. I have a small house and have 3 AP appropriately placed!  I have great 5ghz signals no matter where I am, even out on the patio.. Since one mine is in the kitchen ceiling near the patio door.

See the nice sigstrength of current wifi clients - the only thing connected at 2.4 is crappy iot ###### that doesn't support 5.. That one at 57 is alexa sitting on my desk right in front of me in the middle of bunch of monitors and modem and switch and bunch of pi's etc. etc..  It really should be connected to hallway - not sure why its connecting to the guestroom AP.. -68dbm prob right at my min rssi setting which has kept it from being switched over..  That still a good signal anyway..

signalstrength.thumb.png.6f6ebac2d2453a593b4f152f1003fdce.png

BTW the power levels on these AP is also turned way down.. 7 to 9 on the 2.4 and 15 to 17dbm on the 5ghz

9 minutes ago, BudMan said:

If you can not run a wire - you can try powerline adapters the current tech is heads over heals faster then when they first came out..

Even if the underlying tech has improved, aren't powerline adaptors still subject to the condition and quality of the copper? Obviously, still a better alternative to just relying on WiFi. 

23 minutes ago, Emn1ty said:

So in theory I could just buy a second https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IUDUJE0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_J.S9BbXRR36PQ and set it up with the same SSID and be good? If so, that might be ideal. It's also the cheapest option unless the Ubiquity offers something that this wouldn't?

You can do that, but you won't get a proper hand-off when moving devices throughout the house. There is no signal/band steering... So what will happen is one device will connect to the strongest AP around, then if you move to the other side of the house it will struggle to stay connected to that AP, then when it finally loses connection it will reconnect to the strongest AP. Not a very elegant way to make this work.

Take a look at the mesh wifi systems that are out there like Google Home, TP link has one I believe and Ubuiqti as well.

Yeah any $20 wifi router you get on sale can/could be used as just an AP... ALL it takes is connect to them on their lan port, turn off their dhcp server and setup their lan IP to be on your network - there you go AP..  Its not going to have all the bells and whistles a real AP does..

You could get a uap-ac-lite for like 70$ I think.. Can do 8 SSID, vlans - dynamic assigned vlans, has band steering, airtime fairness, the list goes on an on... You can run the controller software and gets shittons of info to help you troubleshoot any sort of problems you might run into with connectivity of specific devices..  Or for that matter just kewl ass info to check out ;)

Do yourself a favor and get a REAL AP...

18 minutes ago, xendrome said:

You can do that, but you won't get a proper hand-off when moving devices throughout the house. There is no signal/band steering... So what will happen is one device will connect to the strongest AP around, then if you move to the other side of the house it will struggle to stay connected to that AP, then when it finally loses connection it will reconnect to the strongest AP. Not a very elegant way to make this work.

Take a look at the mesh wifi systems that are out there like Google Home, TP link has one I believe and Ubuiqti as well.

The unifi AP has band steering and that handoff happens no matter what. 

Edited by adrynalyne

27 minutes ago, Emn1ty said:

So in theory I could just buy a second https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IUDUJE0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_J.S9BbXRR36PQ and set it up with the same SSID and be good? If so, that might be ideal. It's also the cheapest option unless the Ubiquity offers something that this wouldn't?

Use a WIRE.

Your bedroom has a fixed computer workstation so run 4 WIRES to that area. Plug your computer into a port on your main 48 port switch which you feed from the main router.

Then, if you need wireless in that room, plug a 5 ghz access point into the second WIRE from the switch.

Then, you have 2 spare WIRES for future devices such as a bedroom TV etc, from your single wire-run.

Radio is erratic, full of interference and reflected signals and is so so much SLOWER. So, using the already challenged signal  and cutting it in half or more to support a MESH is masochistic and also expensive compared to a simple WIRE

I have 4 access points and plan to add more but since 90% of everything is connected via WIRE, I can easily customize the wireless to my needs.

So each access point uses a separate different fixed CHANNEL determined to be the least used in that area of coverage. I always know exactly what is going on because each access point has a separate SSID - such as Emni1ty_MAIN, Emni1ty_BEDRM, Emni1ty_YARD, Emni1ty_CELLAR, etc