Random interference on primary 4K display

Randomly I will get a white bar of interference on my 4K display, it only shows for a split second, but it is very noticeable. I have done all the standard troubleshooting steps (ensured that all the cables are seated, unplugged and re-plugged the power cord, attempted to locate driver for the monitor other then generic, etc) I feel that the issue might be somehow related to the Logitech G903 wireless mouse, because I notice it more when I am using the mouse, but this only seems to happen while on the desktop, it does not seem to show up in games or full screen video playback, the mouse recharges wireless and the USB adapter is plugged into the rear of the case, and it is fully seated as well. Does anyone have any other suggestions as to where to look?

What computer system are you using (that your setup in your sig?) and the model of the display?

Did you try a wired mouse to prove this wireless mouse problem?

11 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

What computer system are you using (that your setup in your sig?) and the model of the display?

Did you try a wired mouse to prove this wireless mouse problem?

Yes, the system in my sig is the system, the monitor is yamakasi m280PU, but I have had zero luck trying to find a driver for it.

I have not tried a wired mouse, I do not have one on hand to try, but that could be another method for troubleshooting. For what it's worth, since I posted this, I have not seen any of the interference.

5 minutes ago, xendrome said:

Replaced the display cable, that's pretty standard also.

I had not thought about that, I will order a replacement and see what happens.

When I had a similar issue, it turned out to be the video card drivers, but the first thing I always check is the cable. 

1 hour ago, Joe User said:

When I had a similar issue, it turned out to be the video card drivers, but the first thing I always check is the cable. 

Thanks for your input, I just received my new DP cable and am going to swap it out and see what happens! As for drivers, I have the most current Nvidia drivers, and it was doing it on a previous version of the driver as well, so I am not 100% if that rules out the drivers, but it is another notch in the troubleshooting.

52 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Thanks for your input, I just received my new DP cable and am going to swap it out and see what happens! As for drivers, I have the most current Nvidia drivers, and it was doing it on a previous version of the driver as well, so I am not 100% if that rules out the drivers, but it is another notch in the troubleshooting.

another possibility is faulty video ram, there is no fix for that, will have to replace the card.

1 hour ago, nekrosoft13 said:

another possibility is faulty video ram, there is no fix for that, will have to replace the card.

Well, if your good at soldering, you actually could... But many can't.

I changed the cable out, but it will not display anything, I only paid $9 for an Amazon Basic DP cable, when I plugged the original cable back in it instantly displays, so obviously the cable either does not work, or something else is going on.

Amazon DP cables are wonky at best. IMO, at least.

did you try the cable in another GFX card, or device?

5 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Amazon DP cables are wonky at best. IMO, at least.

did you try the cable in another GFX card, or device?

Not yet, I will see if my brother-in-law will try it on his system, but regardless, Amazon refunded my money and told me to keep the cord!

So it seems more and more that the issue is directly to the wireless mouse, but I can not figure out why or how.

5 hours ago, jnelsoninjax said:

So it seems more and more that the issue is directly to the wireless mouse, but I can not figure out why or how.

1. Cable is always a strong suspect

2. you test with another cable that completely doesn't work

3. You conclude that original cable must have been OK and that a mouse can cause signal glitches on a monitor...

See any problems there?

On 1/16/2019 at 7:02 PM, jnelsoninjax said:

Yes, the system in my sig is the system, the monitor is yamakasi m280PU, but I have had zero luck trying to find a driver for it.

I have not tried a wired mouse, I do not have one on hand to try, but that could be another method for troubleshooting. For what it's worth, since I posted this, I have not seen any of the interference.

I had not thought about that, I will order a replacement and see what happens.

yamakasi m280PU

https://www.amazon.com/Perfect-YAMAKASI-M280PU-3840x2160-Computer/product-reviews/B01DAOY7GU/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_show_all_btm?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews

"unfortunately, the monitor loses image and audio constantly. When it isn't cutting completely out, there is also a bad problem with sections of the screen flickering over onto other areas of the screen"

"Months later now, despite trying quite hard previously to get a refresh rate higher than 30hz to work on this monitor in Windows 10, I finally figured it out. On a whim, I tried a "custom" display setting within the Nvidia control panel that used 50hz instead of 60hz. IT WORKED"

"Out of the box behaviour. Screen going crazy"

This monitor appears to have issues with signal and careful detailed analysis of cable quality, refresh rate, resolution and color depth might be useful to find just the right signal that the monitor can handle without "glitches"

A full 10 bit color signal pushed out at 60hz and 4K is very high bandwidth...

Other possibility is it is just a crap monitor...

On the wrong side of Occam's Razor is the idea that a wireless signal from the mouse could peak some sort of electrical resonance effect in a poorly shielded monitor's electronics. While not impossible, along with green rays from the Alien Mothership overhead, this line of reasoning might be better taken up after the obvious causes have been eliminated...

On 1/18/2019 at 3:37 PM, Mindovermaster said:

Well, if your good at soldering, you actually could... But many can't.

"good at soldering" is only half the answer. Modern electronics will have tiny surface mounted packages along with the nasty modern lead-free solder they must now use. 

You need some expensive and tricky to use soldering equipment...

And a cheap source of GDDR5 video RAM which is probably only cheap in large volume orders...

So I would translate your "many can't" to "almost nobody can"

Hello,

Just to confirm, does replacing the cordless mouse with a corded mouse make any difference?  You can try adding a ferrite bead to its cable (near the USB connector end, if it doesn't have one.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

19 minutes ago, goretsky said:

Hello,

Just to confirm, does replacing the cordless mouse with a corded mouse make any difference?  You can try adding a ferrite bead to its cable (near the USB connector end, if it doesn't have one.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I do not have a corded mouse any longer, all the ones that I did have have long since vanished. I guess I could buy a cheap $10 mouse from Walmart and try it, just for the sake of troubleshooting. @DevTech the monitor has never had this issue until just very recently and I have been using for ~2 years. Also it is running at 60hz, so unless the cable is bad (which I am going to get a replacement) where else could the issue be?

1 hour ago, jnelsoninjax said:

I do not have a corded mouse any longer, all the ones that I did have have long since vanished. I guess I could buy a cheap $10 mouse from Walmart and try it, just for the sake of troubleshooting. @DevTech the monitor has never had this issue until just very recently and I have been using for ~2 years. Also it is running at 60hz, so unless the cable is bad (which I am going to get a replacement) where else could the issue be?

I have been gradually eliminating all my wireless mice since in the end they are always irritation in one way or another so it is strange to consider the lack of one... If there is a store that sells pre-owned items near you it might just be $1 to grab any old wired mouse.

Equipment that works for 2 years and then presents problems, means that there is a change in some condition. The Amazon reviews I posted had lots of happy customers and then a bunch that was getting weird glitches that are really unusual for a modern monitor. That implies that some part of the internal design might be sitting on a borderline and in your case is finally deteriorated enough to be of concern. Bad capacitor? Bad sheilding? Some chip at the outer edge of a performance envelop? Lots more than that to go wrong inside a modern complex device...

One idea I came across for that monitor was that the power brick was too underpowered and some people had good results substituting a higher current power supply and for some people it didn't help...

You could try irritating as it might be to run at 30hz for a while to ease the bandwidth on the cable and monitor or alternatively run it at 1920 x 1080 for a while just to see if the glitching is bandwidth related.

39 minutes ago, DevTech said:

I have been gradually eliminating all my wireless mice since in the end they are always irritation in one way or another so it is strange to consider the lack of one... If there is a store that sells pre-owned items near you it might just be $1 to grab any old wired mouse.

Equipment that works for 2 years and then presents problems, means that there is a change in some condition. The Amazon reviews I posted had lots of happy customers and then a bunch that was getting weird glitches that are really unusual for a modern monitor. That implies that some part of the internal design might be sitting on a borderline and in your case is finally deteriorated enough to be of concern. Bad capacitor? Bad sheilding? Some chip at the outer edge of a performance envelop? Lots more than that to go wrong inside a modern complex device...

One idea I came across for that monitor was that the power brick was too underpowered and some people had good results substituting a higher current power supply and for some people it didn't help...

You could try irritating as it might be to run at 30hz for a while to ease the bandwidth on the cable and monitor or alternatively run it at 1920 x 1080 for a while just to see if the glitching is bandwidth related.

Interesting idea, I ordered another brand of DP cable and I will see what happens, FWIW, so far tonight I have not had the issue at all, and I have been home for almost 4 hours.

Edit: after re-reading what you said about the power brick, the one that came with the monitor just died one day and I managed to find a replacement one via eBay, which is where I originally ordered the monitor. Also in the YouTube video what they are showing is nothing at what I am experiencing, I get a horizontal bar that appears for second or two.

Hello,

Out of curiosity, does this monitor use an external power supply?  If so, what sort of shape is that in?  Are either of the cables frayed, or does it seem warmer than it should be (or even hot to the touch)?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

3 hours ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Interesting idea, I ordered another brand of DP cable and I will see what happens, FWIW, so far tonight I have not had the issue at all, and I have been home for almost 4 hours.

Edit: after re-reading what you said about the power brick, the one that came with the monitor just died one day and I managed to find a replacement one via eBay, which is where I originally ordered the monitor. Also in the YouTube video what they are showing is nothing at what I am experiencing, I get a horizontal bar that appears for second or two.

You are being too specific - monitors just don't glitch out that way so there is something very weird about the design of that model of monitor... Sure you don't have the same diagonal tears in the video, but you have a weird horizontal bar that is also just as strange...

It could also be an issue with your video card so if you can use onboard video for a while, that's another useful test.

One hypothesis that I considered to explain the overall weirdness is that the monitor is only pretending to be a 4K monitor and in order to be so cheap, they used a 2K panel (or 2.5K etc.) which accepts a 4K signal and pretends to be a 4K monitor and then scales the video to the native resolution of the internal panel. The firmware doing that might easily make weird glitches... It just popped into my head as an inspiration to fit the facts but measuring pixel size between 4K and 2K at that screen size seems almost impossible which in fact is why such a scheme would actually work...

10 hours ago, goretsky said:

Hello,

Out of curiosity, does this monitor use an external power supply?  If so, what sort of shape is that in?  Are either of the cables frayed, or does it seem warmer than it should be (or even hot to the touch)?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Yes it is a external brick and it seems OK the cable is fine.

8 hours ago, DevTech said:

You are being too specific - monitors just don't glitch out that way so there is something very weird about the design of that model of monitor... Sure you don't have the same diagonal tears in the video, but you have a weird horizontal bar that is also just as strange...

It could also be an issue with your video card so if you can use onboard video for a while, that's another useful test.

One hypothesis that I considered to explain the overall weirdness is that the monitor is only pretending to be a 4K monitor and in order to be so cheap, they used a 2K panel (or 2.5K etc.) which accepts a 4K signal and pretends to be a 4K monitor and then scales the video to the native resolution of the internal panel. The firmware doing that might easily make weird glitches... It just popped into my head as an inspiration to fit the facts but measuring pixel size between 4K and 2K at that screen size seems almost impossible which in fact is why such a scheme would actually work...

I do not have onboard video, and the card is ~2 months old, could it be bad, I suppose so, but without any other symptoms I would say most likely not.