FM Stereo signal amplifier hook up. What side do I hook my antenna to???

34 minutes ago, Zag L. said:

I'd say neither. An antenna would attach to the ANT connector.

I have an older Onkyo TX 910 tuner/digital amp. It does not have a coaxial cable jack, but the old type push in connector.  I live in a very rural area. I am only 20-25 nautical miles from the transmitting tower. Had installed an omnidirectional FM antenna on my roof atop a 16' pole. I purchased a 70 channel cable amp at my local thrift store for 2.00. The male coax connectors needed soldering. They were loose at the circuit board. It seems that I cannot access my favorite FM Classic rock station in stereo. I believe my main issue is this amp had an APR system, which prevents any station w/out a good signal from coming through with static.  I can get 2 or 3 stations in stereo if I enable the FM mute. This only allows stereo reception stations to come through. My question is, " from my tuner to the signal amp., do I connect the coax to the in or out??" I have an adapter that was supplied w/my antenna to go from coax to a 2 wire antenna lead to assure a good connection at the antenna input on the rear of my tuner. One last bit of info, I have the antenna grounded and hooked into the  300 ohm side of the antenna jack. Appreciate all the help I can get. I love this tuner. Has a VERY, VERY LOW total harmonic distortion.  I can play through my phone at 2/3 max volume w/out any distortion. Thanks for the reply. Hope I can get some advise that cures my problem. Stay Safe

5 hours ago, Benderhome said:

I have an older Onkyo TX 910 tuner/digital amp. It does not have a coaxial cable jack, but the old type push in connector.  I live in a very rural area. I am only 20-25 nautical miles from the transmitting tower. Had installed an omnidirectional FM antenna on my roof atop a 16' pole. I purchased a 70 channel cable amp at my local thrift store for 2.00. The male coax connectors needed soldering. They were loose at the circuit board. It seems that I cannot access my favorite FM Classic rock station in stereo. I believe my main issue is this amp had an APR system, which prevents any station w/out a good signal from coming through with static.  I can get 2 or 3 stations in stereo if I enable the FM mute. This only allows stereo reception stations to come through. My question is, " from my tuner to the signal amp., do I connect the coax to the in or out??" I have an adapter that was supplied w/my antenna to go from coax to a 2 wire antenna lead to assure a good connection at the antenna input on the rear of my tuner. One last bit of info, I have the antenna grounded and hooked into the  300 ohm side of the antenna jack. Appreciate all the help I can get. I love this tuner. Has a VERY, VERY LOW total harmonic distortion.  I can play through my phone at 2/3 max volume w/out any distortion. Thanks for the reply. Hope I can get some advise that cures my problem. Stay Safe

RF Amplifiers are really tricky devices and in many case add more noise than they are worth.

If your antenna has line of sight to the transmitter tower, then almost certainly you don't need to amplify the antenna signal - most antennas already magnify the received signal by design.

Try directly connecting the cable run from the roof to your Onkyo both directly and through the coax adapter to see which is better. (some adapters are horrible quality)

If that doesn't work well, you have to really consider your options.

The purpose of a signal amplifier is to make up for the loss of the cable run from the roof to your Onkyo. The proper place for the amplifier is on the roof with the antenna since a boosted antenna signal will gather less noise.

A far superior solution to mucking with amplifiers which tend to make everything worse unless perfectly designed and configured is to locate and install a better antenna!