HP Pavilion vs HP Omen; good quality build for a notebook

I am looking at the HP Pavilion 17-cd0700ndHP or HP Omen 17-cb0600nd for a working/gaming notebook.

Since I have no experience with HP notebooks... are these any good?

What is the difference between the HP Pavilion gaming lineup and HP Omen?

And what is the quality standard like in comparison with Asus or MSI?

13 minutes ago, kiddingguy said:

I am looking at the HP Pavilion 17-cd0700ndHP or HP Omen 17-cb0600nd for a working/gaming notebook.

Since I have no experience with HP notebooks... are these any good?

What is the difference between the HP Pavilion gaming lineup and HP Omen?

And what is the quality standard like in comparison with Asus or MSI?

HP consumer products are mediocre with any line other than Spectre, but Pavilions are the worst of those two. 

What he said. Pavillion is their consumer level. Omen is their "gaming" level. Similar to ASUS ROG.

I'm not sure about Omen, but Pavillion is utter crap...

What are you going to do with it? Working doing what? Kind of games?

Unless portability is on your mind, get a Desktop. You will get more bang for your money.

5 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

What he said. Pavillion is their consumer level. Omen is their "gaming" level. Similar to ASUS ROG.

Unless portability is on your mind, get a Desktop. You will get more bang for your money.

I am thinking portability, so a notebook is preferable.

Just the 'regular' games like Anno 1800 and alike, maybe some Call of Duty. And some future games which require a decent (mobile) GPU.

I guess it's 55-605% working, 40-45% gaming.

Budget is around 1400-1500 EUR.

9 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Omen, Pavilion, Envy, Spectre are all consumer level.  

Order of quality from highest to lowest imo:

Spectre

Omen

Envy

Pavilion

Omen and Envy are mostly tied. 

3 minutes ago, kiddingguy said:

Just the 'regular' games like Anno 1800 and alike, maybe some Call of Duty. And some future games which require a decent (mobile) GPU.

Working with what? CAD? video editing? Photoshop? coding?

Just now, adrynalyne said:

Omen, Pavilion, Envy, Spectre are all consumer level.  

They are? OK, thx. Never heard of Omen. ;)

1 hour ago, kiddingguy said:

You should probably list more info about your anticipated usage. And list software and games you might use...

13"? 15"? 17"?

"Thin and Light" or "Workstation/Gamer Heavy"

Minimum GPU required? RTX 2050, RTX 2060, RTX 2070, RTX 2080

Screen quality? LCD IPS 4K like the gorgeous Dell XPS or OLED in ThinkPad or pedestrian FHD...

Number of M.2 NVMe sockets

Optical drive?

1 Thunderbolt 3? or 2 Thunderbolt 3 or no Thunderbolt 3

How important is keyboard? Do you want gaming RGB?

How important is TouchPad (hard to get a good one, but no matter if you are a mouse guy)

New or Refurbished or Used?

How long until it is replaced again?

---------------------------

Photoshop?

Premier or other Video editor?

3D modeling?

Engineering software?

Visual Studio?

Database?

VMs?

------------------

What type of games?

What game coming out 2 years from now MUST be runnable?

etc

So, here are a few general thoughts:

1. Although it drives some people nuts. I never set a budget on an important purchase like this. I start with a needs assessment and then try to find the ideal fit which might cost X. And that X is almost always more than available funds. But the valuable thing is that there are more options doing it this way.

• You have a better idea of which features are more important and which you could accept a downgrade on
  • You have the option to wait and increase budget to get more value
  • You have the option of exploring pre-owned units 
  • You have the option of knowing what you want and waiting for it to go on-sale

2. There are some items on a laptop that you interact with every time you use it and can't be changed later on:

• Your eyeballs can enjoy a high quality screen or be tortured by sub-par
  • Keyboards are very subjective. Good idea to find a retail store with some models you like and spend 5 or 10 minutes typing on each one. Lately, for me the Acer Nitro keyboards are super excellent.
  • Apple has a reputation for TouchPads and alough PC's can have just as nice TouchPads, it is the exception and must be carefully tested if you don't transport a mouse with your laptop. I ALWAYS bring a mouse becuase I hate the huge productivity loss from even the best TouchPads.
  • Ports - most recent laptops don't have Optical drives. Thins ones don't have LAN connectors. etc. 
  • Brick - Computing power out can never be greater than power IN... You want a MUCH LARGER power brick than you see these days on thin laptops. But even gaming laptops these days are cutting pennies on the Brick which ends up killing the battery when used for gaming... (ONLY a few brands have a larger unit available as an Option)
  • CPU and GPU is wired in for life these days, with some exceptions which can be found. So you need to be comfortable with that
  • Some gaming laptops allow for an External GPU Card when docked at home base.
  • The THROTTLE profile is rarely changeable these days. This caps the performance no matter what the spec. says.
  • Some thin laptops solder in 1/2 the RAM and leave just a single socket for expansion.

17 hours ago, DevTech said:

You should probably list more info about your anticipated usage. And list software and games you might use...

13"? 15"? 17"?

17"

"Thin and Light" or "Workstation/Gamer Heavy"

Gamer Heavy.
In rare occasions I will take this notebook on-the-go.

Minimum GPU required? RTX 2050, RTX 2060, RTX 2070, RTX 2080

GTX 16xx or higher. Preferably nvidia.

CPU: Intel Core i7 9/10th generation

Screen quality? LCD IPS 4K like the gorgeous Dell XPS or OLED in ThinkPad or pedestrian FHD...

FHD / 4K

Number of M.2 NVMe sockets

at least 1x M.2 and a 7200/10000 RPM HDD (costwise)

Optical drive?

Not a necessity 

1 Thunderbolt 3? or 2 Thunderbolt 3 or no Thunderbolt 3

Not a necessity 

How important is keyboard? Do you want gaming RGB?

Nice typing keyboard (like my current Asus N750JV). Gaming RGB? No specifically

How important is TouchPad (hard to get a good one, but no matter if you are a mouse guy)

I use a mouse.

New or Refurbished or Used?

New

How long until it is replaced again?

4-5 years

---------------------------

Photoshop?

Photoshop Elements maybe, Adobe Acrobat

Premier or other Video editor? 3D modeling? Engineering software? Visual Studio? Database? VMs?

No

------------------

What type of games?

Some shooters and city building games, like SimCity, Anno 1800 and alike

What game coming out 2 years from now MUST be runnable?

Haven't thought about that yet

etc

8 hours ago, kiddingguy said:

I will take a look at your situation and make some suggestions without regard to budget per my reasoning above and we can zero in on deals and budgets when you are close to purchase. I a bit busy so maybe by Friday...

Please to other readers: the OP has provided a nicely detailed profile do see what pops into your head from that!

6 minutes ago, DevTech said:

Please to other readers: the OP has provided a nicely detailed profile do see what pops into your head from that! 

Don't educate dum-dums, please. We know when we see a good detailed post.

11 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Don't educate dum-dums, please. We know when we see a good detailed post.

Please go for a walk and get your blood pressure down. Like I mean that IRL. I can tell you are not happy. I want you to be happier. The problem with IRL vs Digital is that just can't be said without sounding sarcastic, but I'm not.

I was just surfacing the thread so that @kiddingguycan get some answers...

Saying "hey people, he gave good information!"

To me, that sounds harsh, like any of our suggestions mattered. Just the way I took it. Take it or leave it.

And, to count, I am not mad. Nor was I ever at you. I was trying to get you on the same track, here.

3 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Saying "hey people, he gave good information!"

To me, that sounds harsh, like any of our suggestions mattered. Just the way I took it. Take it or leave it.

And, to count, I am not mad. Nor was I ever at you. I was trying to get you on the same track, here.

I am happy you are not mad

The OP is looking for actual device recommendations

So, the more we discuss whatever and keep the thread close to the top, the more likely that he will get some nice ideas from people to wrap his head around and work with...

He is the patient type sure, but right now a good barrage of suggestions for specific models might just be of good help

AND... he is so much MORE WORTHY of some real activity and response than Threads From The Twilight Zone...

I am looking for recommendations / specific brands & models.

(I guess I have filled you guys in with the ‘details’ and usage of the notebook to-be)

Happy firing away 😉