Do I need a Chromecast Ultra?

I currently have a 2nd-generation Chromecast, which is 1080p only.

I recently bought a new 65" 4K TV and, due to the size compared to my previous 48" 4K TV, 1080p content is beginning to look quite poor on it.

I now have some 4K Blu-ray Disc rips on my home Plex server.

Should I pay £54 for a Chromecast Ultra from Google's store (they're normally £69) or should I just cast to the TV directly?

1 hour ago, Elliot B. said:

I currently have a 2nd-generation Chromecast, which is 1080p only.

I recently bought a new 65" 4K TV and, due to the size compared to my previous 48" 4K TV, 1080p content is beginning to look quite poor on it.

I now have some 4K Blu-ray Disc rips on my home Plex server.

Should I pay £54 for a Chromecast Ultra from Google's store (they're normally £69) or should I just cast to the TV directly?

I'm a big fan of Plex. Does the TV that you've bought have a Plex app that you can use to stream directly from the Plex server?

2 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

I'm a big fan of Plex. Does the TV that you've bought have a Plex app that you can use to stream directly from the Plex server?

It's Android-based, so I can install one but I think I'd prefer to browse from my mobile phone.

Not sure how your TV works, but with my Samsung if I have the same app on it as on the mobile I can cast directly to the TV without any need for Chromecast (e.g. WWE, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer).  My Samsung is connected to the router via network cable (but can also do wifi).

So if it's the same you'd just need to install Plex on the TV, and still browse on Plex on your mobile but you should be able to cast directly to the TV.

If Plex is the only reason you were considering a Chromecast Ultra, then you can save your money, assuming the above works.

I'm a big fan of AppleTV because I have a 4K TV and Atmos setup. If you're casting using Android and your TV has it, I'd think a Chromecast Ultra is not really needed.

Since you say your new TV is Android based you should be able to install a DLNA receiver app

I've used AirPin Pro on Android TV Boxes and it works well https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.waxrain.airplaydmr2&hl=en_US

Otherwise I'd recommend going for a Fire TV Stick 4K or a 4K Roku for your needs if the TV Android system is too limited.

Chromecast is overly limited at least in my opinion. and for it being in a similar price range as the 2 above I see no reason not to go with the better products :)

edit: for all 3 of my suggestions I use Web Video Cast on my phone to cast to the devices for any casting needs outside of Plex :) https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.instantbits.cast.webvideo&hl=en_US