After years of suffering degrading hearing, I got a hearing aid

For a bit of background, I was born with no hearing in my right ear, and due to this I need to protect my left ear as well as possible, but after many years of general noise exposure my hearing has declined, I have been to different doctors, and had my share of hearing tests, but this last doctor I saw finally saw the results and suggested that I would benefit from a hearing aid, and even setup the appointment. So 3 weeks ago I finally got the hearing aid, at no cost to me (the insurance covered the whole cost) and I just can not believe how much of a difference it has made, the unit is so small you can not even tell that I am wearing it, and it is bluetooth enabled, so I can use it to talk on my cell phone! 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

For a bit of background, I was born with no hearing in my right ear, and due to this I need to protect my left ear as well as possible, but after many years of general noise exposure my hearing has declined, I have been to different doctors, and had my share of hearing tests, but this last doctor I saw finally saw the results and suggested that I would benefit from a hearing aid, and even setup the appointment. So 3 weeks ago I finally got the hearing aid, at no cost to me (the insurance covered the whole cost) and I just can not believe how much of a difference it has made, the unit is so small you can not even tell that I am wearing it, and it is bluetooth enabled, so I can use it to talk on my cell phone! 

My wife has hearing aids as well. It’s dramatically improved quality of life. 

• 2 weeks later...

I wore hearing aids since I was 5. Over the ear types, that you see everywhere. Being they didn't really have these things back in 1990, and insurance rarely covered it, I always used loner ones.

Until around 15, when I got newer hearing aids. Those lasted for like 10 yewars.

The last ones I have are very special ones. I only got one, as my left ear is potentially deaf. They have BT in them. So I can pair them with my cellphone, home phone, computers, etc.

Look like so:

HEARING-SAVERS-Phonak-Naida-V30-UP-heari

Mine is brownish, though.

Saying "What?!" too much, bro? :laugh:

8 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

I wore hearing aids since I was 5. Over the ear types, that you see everywhere. Being they didn't really have these things back in 1990, and insurance rarely covered it, I always used loner ones.

Until around 15, when I got newer hearing aids. Those lasted for like 10 yewars.

The last ones I have are very special ones. I only got one, as my left ear is potentially deaf. They have BT in them. So I can pair them with my cellphone, home phone, computers, etc.

Look like so:

HEARING-SAVERS-Phonak-Naida-V30-UP-heari

Mine is brownish, though.

Saying "What?!" too much, bro? :laugh:

Not me, my mother. I have to repeat things many times. It is very frustrating for the both of us. I paid around $1000 for hers but I guess you have to pay $3000 for a good one. The one she has looks similar but u probably paid much more. I just wish all states paid for them as they are a necessity for life. JMO.

8 minutes ago, Bruinator said:

Not me, my mother. I have to repeat things many times. It is very frustrating for the both of us. I paid around $1000 for hers but I guess you have to pay $3000 for a good one. The one she has looks similar but u probably paid much more. I just wish all states paid for them as they are a necessity for life. JMO.

Mine are around $5k. Luckily, both Medicair and Medicaid paid that all off. I only ever wear it when I go out. Around the house, I never wear them. Being we are on a quieter street now, less loud out.

I have trouble hearing anything that my Mom says. High voices is hard for me to hear. And she has trouble understanding me half the time with my slurred speach and stuttering, too. So, we both are damned.

On 11/18/2019 at 10:11 PM, Mindovermaster said:

Mine are around $5k. Luckily, both Medicair and Medicaid paid that all off. I only ever wear it when I go out. Around the house, I never wear them. Being we are on a quieter street now, less loud out.

I have trouble hearing anything that my Mom says. High voices is hard for me to hear. And she has trouble understanding me half the time with my slurred speach and stuttering, too. So, we both are damned.

The one that I have is $1800, and the insurance paid it all, the one that was recommended was $2500, and the insurance only covered $2000 and I did not have $500 laying around to invest in a top of the line model, so I went with the mid-range one, which is more then fine with me! 

7 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

The one that I have is $1800, and the insurance paid it all, the one that was recommended was $2500, and the insurance only covered $2000 and I did not have $500 laying around to invest in a top of the line model, so I went with the mid-range one, which is more then fine with me! 

Yeah, mine wasn't covered by medicaire, but my audiologist sent them a letter, saying why I needed it, and they obliged.